• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gary Moore R.I.P

I intend to send some condolence flowers up to Gary's daughter Jenna on behalf of his fans and The Zone members. I have kindly asked @Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset to hopefully get me her address through Spud.

If anybody wants to chip in please let me know in this thread.

Thanks guy's

John.
John,

I'd be quite happy to contribute.God I feel old,

I intend to send some condolence flowers up to Gary's daughter Jenna on behalf of his fans and The Zone members. I have kindly asked @Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset to hopefully get me her address through Spud.

If anybody wants to chip in please let me know in this thread.

Thanks guy's

John.
I'm in John (@Cricko), dosh sent via PayPal.

I am eternally grateful to Andrew for his phone call yesterday afternoon regarding the very sad passing of my good friend Gary Moore prior to it's release on Shrimperzone.
I had the pleasure of knowing Gary for over 50+years and he was part of the team that still to this day is my favourite time for being a shrimpers fan and along with other players from that time always looked out for us supporters back in those days.
Although I had not seen Gary for many years we were reunited back in 2008 when both Gary and Billy Best returned to Roots Hall for the Cup tie against Luton Town some 40 after their famous goal scoring exploits against both Kings Lynn & Brentwood Town and from that day we remained in contact until yesterday when the sad news came through.
Gary was a very private person in life but was delighted when I asked him to become an early member of SUEPA back in 2018 although I had to give him a bit of a nudge at the time. Gary would always call me after receiving his latest SUEPA newsletter (as he did not have a computer) to discuss it and talk about all things Southend United. I would also call him from time to time especially while Covid was about as he was on his own although he had moved back to Sunderland to be close to his daughter Jenna, I was also fully aware that the Gary was not in the best of health but it was still such a shock when I was given the very sad news yesterday afternoon.
Football is always about opinions and on reading the posts today about Gary it is amazing the amount of people who remembered the same thing about him, the miss from about 6" at the North Bank against Newport County in about 1970?, the goal or not at goal at Brentford when it went through the side of the net or not? and on this very day some 50 years ago punching the ball into the Aston Villa goal to name just a few. But having spoken to both Mike Beesley and Billy Best yesterday before the news was made public their love and affection for the big man was plain to see as Billy said himself without Gary Moore my goals tally would have been significantly reduced for sure.
Whilst also speaking with Mike yesterday he told me the story of how Ernie Shepherd asked him to tap Gary up over a move to Roots Hall back on the 28th.Sept.'68 when Blues played in a goalless draw at Blundell Park. Mike who was playing at centre-half that day was marking Gary who was playing centre-forward, there was a clash of heads and while they were both receiving treatment Mike popped the question and just over a month later Gary signed for the club. (Blimey! players being tapped up even back then).
To finish with having posted the SUEPA's post onto my F/B page yesterday I had this rather touching tribute from Gary's former team mate Bill Garner which I wanted to share with everyone on SZ:- Such sad news to hear about Gary. He was a fantastic player for Southend United. He was a good friend and when I played alongside him he helped me so much. Every player in the team respected him for the way he conducted himself. Gary made it possible for me to get the opportunity to move to Chelsea because of his unselfish attitude. God bless you Gary.
I will certainly miss talking to Gary but without doubt his legacy will forever be etched on my mind as we often recalled the many happy memories we shared back in the late 60's and early 70's. Gone but certainly NEVER forgotten. #Rest in Peace "Big Man".
Thanks Dave, brings back so many wonderful memories. RIP Gary Moore. ?

Fantastic article Andrew, hope to see you sometime soon.

Thanks Dave! I do enjoy digging back through the stats!

I've found some more photos-mainly from the Newport game and that miss!

I'm guessing the first one is the misconnection - bobbling ball - right foot (not his better one)

The second is where the ball should have gone and not him.

The next two are his delight and relief it didn't cost us.

Two more of the big man and the last one that I stumbled across - a very young Gary ...love the boots!

gma1S.jpggma2S.jpggmA3S.jpggmA4S.jpggmA5S.jpggmA6S.jpgGM7.jpg

Back