• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Tomorrow, Wednesday 4/11/15 is the 70th.birthday of GARY MOORE, a centre-forward who, after a couple of substitute appearances started his first match, ironically on his 23rd.birthday, away at Port Vale. Five days later he scored on his debut at Roots Hall against Doncaster Rovers in a 2-0 win.
It was in this 1968-69 season that Gary linked up with his fellow goalscoring partner Billy Best and for many supporters of a certain age this was a great time to follow the team. Many supporters will be aware that season we scored 22 goals in just 4 F.A.Cup rounds with Gary & Billy scoring 17 between them. Both players scored hat-tricks in the 1st & 2nd rounds, a record that still stands to this day.
As well as the above, Gary Moore, in partnership with Billy Best amassed a staggering 120 goals whilst playing together which is I believe a club record?.
However, Gary, unlike King Billy was not everyone's cup of tea and was quite often barracked by a certain section of the Roots Hall faithful. Gary left at the end of the 1973-74 season having played just over 150 matches scoring 55 goals which is a decent return.
:Worthy::Worthy:The question is what are your memories of Gary Moore?:Worthy::Worthy:

Those of you who saw us play at Swindon Town in the F.A.Cup in the 1968-69 season will no doubt remember the famous chant-:"Poor Donny Rogers lies dead on the floor kicked in the B....... by Sir Gary Moore"

Great memories for me, thanks. I was at Swindon for that match, remember the Obla Di song by Marmalade blasting out, Chico Hamilton scoring, Sir Gary performing and a thoroughly enjoyable giant killing day out. Don Rodgers took a back seat for a change. I admired Gary Moore, he performed despite the boo boys, shut them up very often and was lethal with BB.

Oh, and happy birthday too Gary. As it happens my 70th was a few weeks ago so he is now a fully paid up member of the club. COYBB

Happy Birthday Gary , how can you heading against the bar at Mansfield in the FA cup in the last minute be forgotten , and perhaps being robbed through injury for the League Cup game against Chelsea when your hight and experience might just of tipped the result our way , always gave his all , a legend I think he is up there with supporters of a certain age .

I was only 8/9 when Gary was playing but my dad used to take us (me and my bros) to The Hall and we would stand on the freezing South Bank. I wrote to Gary as I disagreed with the stick he was getting AND he wrote back. I think it was the first proper letter I ever sent and most likely the first proper mail I relieved. HAPPY DAYS!

Tomorrow, Wednesday 4/11/15 is the 70th.birthday of GARY MOORE, a centre-forward who, after a couple of substitute appearances started his first match, ironically on his 23rd.birthday, away at Port Vale. Five days later he scored on his debut at Roots Hall against Doncaster Rovers in a 2-0 win.
It was in this 1968-69 season that Gary linked up with his fellow goalscoring partner Billy Best and for many supporters of a certain age this was a great time to follow the team. Many supporters will be aware that season we scored 22 goals in just 4 F.A.Cup rounds with Gary & Billy scoring 17 between them. Both players scored hat-tricks in the 1st & 2nd rounds, a record that still stands to this day.
As well as the above, Gary Moore, in partnership with Billy Best amassed a staggering 120 goals whilst playing together which is I believe a club record?.
However, Gary, unlike King Billy was not everyone's cup of tea and was quite often barracked by a certain section of the Roots Hall faithful. Gary left at the end of the 1973-74 season having played just over 150 matches scoring 55 goals which is a decent return.
:Worthy::Worthy:The question is what are your memories of Gary Moore?:Worthy::Worthy:

Those of you who saw us play at Swindon Town in the F.A.Cup in the 1968-69 season will no doubt remember the famous chant-:"Poor Donny Rogers lies dead on the floor kicked in the B....... by Sir Gary Moore"

A lovely man Dave. We had a good lunch with him and Billy. Wish him happy birthday from me.

Other than the memories of a fantastic partnership with Billy Best, I seem to remember that he was converted to play just behind the front 2, a no: 10 it would be called today, and had great success there also. Bill Garner once said to me that Gary was a massively underrated player and one of the best he played with at Southend. Did lots of unrewarded 'running' that was greatly appreciated by him!!

Last edited:
love this thread Nobbler,every time i read the names of our "older" players,it brings a big smile to my ugly face...those WERE great days..it was always sad,even then,when the booboys gave our players stick and as you wrote,he got some.
Was at the cup games V Brentwood &Kings .L . was in the North bank ,on my own,on a thursday,last august and stood (with a 2 liter cider bottle in hand) on the same spot,where i stood those 2 games ,thinking of that time...better days,i have not had,when i was with my mates,those years,in the North bank...better days &mates...will never happen again,sadly.
Say happy birthday to Gary Moore...true blue
Maybe he could also write on the "zone"

I remember that debut goal against Doncaster; Dave Chambers was also making his home debut and scored the second.
I really rated Gary and when he played in midfield he showed surprising touch and skill.
He did though have shots which went amazingly high and wide. My last memory of him was seeing him play for Swansea in Div 4 at Halifax. With a couple of minutes to go he took a speculative shot which went high and wide as per his habit. A couple of moments later the ball was down the other end and another exBlue, Eddie May, sliced in a spectacular own goal.
My best memory of Gary Moore was a fantastic goal he scored away to Brentford in the 1972-73 season. Great days

When Gary was at Chester they got to the semi final of the League Cup , and played Aston Villa , who had ex Southend team mate Chico Hamilton playing for them . Villa won over two legs and beat Norwich City in the final .

My first ever Blues' game, April 1969, and Gary Moore scored a hat trick against the then named Swansea Town, we won 4-0. It's been downhill ever since. :'(

Happy Birthday Gary. He used to carry me on his shoulders (very high up for me as a nipper) across from Priory Park (where we used to train, over to Roots Hall.

Great Bloke, unsung hero, and as previously posted not everyone's cup of tea.

Showing my age now.

Mostly good memories for me.While I still remember that miss at Mansfield, his performance (and that of the entire team) at Swindon more than made up for it.

He was excellent in those wonderful cup games against Brentwood and Kings Lynn too.A hard working centre forward who didn't deserve the amount of stick he got from some of the crowd (never from me).

Happy 70th birthday,Sir Gary. :Worthy:

Is my memory deceiving me or did Gary Moore open his own sports shop in Southend or Westcliff?

Oh, how we could do with a Best/Moore/Garner equivalent strike force today!

By the way, Bill Garner now lives in Toppesfield in the north of Essex.

The FA cup goals;

1st Round 9-0 Kings Lynn, Best and Moore scored 3 each
2nd Round 10-1 v. Brentwood - Moore 4, Best 5.

So - 18 cup goals between them in two matches!

The FA cup goals;

I make that 15 goals between them, and I was there for all of them. Great days, great memories. COYBB

The FA cup goals;

Does any one know who kept the match ball in each game for scoring a hat trick

Nobbler must know,he knows everything...would be interesting to know

Back