• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Gary Rowett expects Adam Barrett to stay at Millwall despite links to Southend United

It would be weird if he didn’t back his man. I don’t get the concern over this.

Rowett has just lost his assistant to a job north of the border and so doesn't want to lose his new assistant.

“I hope he’s happy enough to resist any overtures from anywhere but I can understand why there would be an interest. Particularly Southend – because that’s been his club for a long time. I know how hard that is to resist.”

Until Ron, Steve Kavanagh or Adam Barrett comes out publicly to rule him(self) out of the job I am not giving up hope

Rowett has just lost his assistant to a job north of the border and so doesn't want to lose his new assistant.

“I hope he’s happy enough to resist any overtures from anywhere but I can understand why there would be an interest. Particularly Southend – because that’s been his club for a long time. I know how hard that is to resist.”

Until Ron, Steve Kavanagh or Adam Barrett comes out publicly to rule him(self) out of the job I am not giving up hope

But Barrett isn’t his new assistant, he is interim until the end of the season. He hasn’t been appointed the permanent assistant. If they valued him that much surely they would’ve done that.

Bit of a non-story really.

Manager backs his assistant to stay but understands why he'd be tempted to come to SUFC. What's he supposed to say? 'Of course AB will be interested and it's about time he moved on'

Reads to me that Millwall fully expect us to approach them over AB's availability and they are trying their best to persuade him to stay.

Manager backs his assistant to stay but understands why he'd be tempted to come to SUFC. What's he supposed to say? 'Of course AB will be interested and it's about time he moved on'

Reads to me that Millwall fully expect us to approach them over AB's availability and they are trying their best to persuade him to stay.

Could even be a front to get us to pay them some sort of compensation.

But Barrett isn’t his new assistant, he is interim until the end of the season. He hasn’t been appointed the permanent assistant. If they valued him that much surely they would’ve done that.

I think Adam Barrett's decision-making could be shaped significantly by whether he becomes Gary Rowett's No 2. on a permanent basis.

If it becomes clear that Rowett wants to appoint his own person as assistant manager, Barrett may decide - if offered the Southend job - that being Southend's manager outweighs being in a better paid and more secure No. 3 position at Millwall.

Barrett will have to resign if he is to be in consideration for the job here.

Barrett will have to resign if he is to be in consideration for the job here.
I’m confused (it happens a lot) why would he consider the position, if as you said on another post, he put Millwall before SUFC last time. We are in a far worst position now so that wouldn’t be a consideration for him surely (solely base don what you said on another thread).

Just trying to understand the logic. Personally I think it will be Fagan

I’m confused (it happens a lot) why would he consider the position, if as you said on another post, he put Millwall before SUFC last time. We are in a far worst position now so that wouldn’t be a consideration for him surely (solely base don what you said on another thread).

Just trying to understand the logic. Personally I think it will be Fagan

As I said Ron was not happy that he accepted the Millwall caretakers job after his interview at SUFC.

Therefore in my opinion Ron would want him to make some commitment by resigning to show he is serious.

I don't think it will happen and we dont even know if AB wants the job this time as much as I would love to see him in charge. Does anyone know if he has applied?

As I said Ron was not happy that he accepted the Millwall caretakers job after his interview at SUFC.

Therefore in my opinion Ron would want him to make some commitment by resigning to show he is serious.

I don't think it will happen and we dont even know if AB wants the job this time as much as I would love to see him in charge. Does anyone know if he has applied?

Is he allowed to apply? Not sure how it works. I know we can’t talk to him without their permission.

It is unrealistic of the Chairman to expect Adam Barrett to resign to simply be considered for the Southend job. No one, including the Chairman, would resign from a position unless they had a firm offer alternative offer of employment.

Is he allowed to apply? Not sure how it works. I know we can’t talk to him without their permission.
We can't approach without permission, but he can apply although unlikely he would take that step (don't think they can stop him and to do so would be restraint of trade). And even if he applied we would still need permission to talk to him. In reality he won't want to upset his current employer and if we are serious we would make the initial approach. And if we made the approach surely it would be because he is first choice. After all what do we not know about him by now?

None of this of course changes all the observations made previously re how likely he is to be the next manager.

Then why didn't Ron offer him the job before Millwall blocked the move?

Millwall refusing further contact is not the same as choosing Millwall over Southend.

If anyone needs to show commitment it would be Ron with some compensation rather than expecting someone to resign.

Agree with your second paragraph.

Reactions: GBJ
At some point people will realise Barrett isn't happening
I increasingly agree, and the way all muted candidates including some very realistic, are kicked into touch as not even being considered by CP when questioned, leads me to believe it will either be Fagan most likely (or Maher possibly). I just think Ron wants HMRC out the way, embargo lifted and a season start date, and therefore training start date known, before announcing anything. We know behind the scenes Fagan is planning for when training restarts anyway.

Might be very clever. Takes all the scrutiny/focus/questions off Fagan leaving him to plan and even start thinking about coaching structure (and don't laugh) transfer targets, where he needs to recruit..

Trouble is a Fagan appointment wouldn't excite me ....what do we know about him personality wise?So he's been here about 3 years and coached our youngsters.....and ?
Barrett on the other hand we know his character and passion for the club,so immediately I have a connection with everything he would try and do from day one.

Millwall are in the championship, just out playoffs and going for a chance to play in Top league. They are stable pay the wages and
have a very high reguard of Adam. He was kept on when Neil left
and assistant manager at present.Ron should have gone for him a long while back in fact he should have remained in coaching role
after his playing days.Not saying Adam will not return but given the state of the club who in their right mid would leave Millwall for
Southend at present.

Back