• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gary Waddock appointed Assistant Manager; Svetoslav Todorov appointed First Team Coach

Westcliff Shrimper

Director of Footballs⭐
Morning all.

Official site states the following:

Temporary Manager: Ricky Duncan
Assistant Managers: Damian Matthew & Kevin Keen
Head of Recruitment: Roger Cross
Goalkeeper Coach: Lee Harrison
Lead Sport Scientist: Stefano Russo
Performance Analyst: Ben Cirne
Kit Manager: Scott Carson
Crowd Doctor: Dr. O Macaulay

Obviously swap out Ricky for Kevin Bond, but is everyone else the same? If so, I'm surprised that KB hasn't had a purge and bring his own people in.

Morning all.

Obviously swap out Ricky for Kevin Bond, but is everyone else the same? If so, I'm surprised that KB hasn't had a purge and bring his own people in.

Damian Matthew has gone as well.

Is Scott Carson the former England keeper?

Hopefully a new Strength and Conditioning Coach will be recruited - fitness appeared to go downhill last season after Jamie Douglas departed and I think that was a big factor in our problems.

Last edited:
Morning all.

Scott Carson is no longer the kit man either

Morning all.

What bout Harry

We desperately need a decent fitness coach.

We desperately need a decent fitness coach.
it's more than about having a decent fitness coach, it's about a manager who integrates fitness into everything they organise - training, tactics, pre-season, conditioning etc.

I still stand by my view that our fitness issues were a result of having a depleted squad for pretty much the whole season. You can't train as hard/well with fewer fit players, you can't rest and rotate to manage niggles, and there are fewer players challenging for places so there's less healthy competition in training, in the gym, and out on the pitch.

A full and healthy squad, along with a manager who wants to get us working really hard are the main things we require.

Last edited:
Morning all.

Keen must be one of his own . Otherwise he would have gone with Powell as well.

it's more than about having a decent fitness coach, it's about a manager who integrates fitness into everything they organise - training, tactics, pre-season, conditioning etc.

I still stand by my view that our fitness issues were a result of having a depleted squad for pretty much the whole season. You can't train as hard/well with fewer fit players, you can't rest and rotate to manage niggles, and there are fewer players challenging for places so there's less healthy competition in training, in the gym, and out on the pitch.

A full and healthy squad, along with a manager who wants to get us working really hard are the main things we require.

That maybe the case but it’s no coincidence that their fitness levels massively dropped when Jamie Douglas left.

I know PB is still not the most popular on here, but I don't think he's ever been accused of having an unfit team anywhere he's been. The fitness coaches are important and the philosophy of the manager is too. Certainly when we had Mark Williams and Jamie Douglas we were a very fit side, but it's hard to tell how much of that is from them and how much from the management.

Edit: I think Mark Williams is now handling the fitness of the national basketball team?

Or it could be coincidence...

I see it as a coincidence too. Many of the long-term injuries we suffered early on were truly freak injuries and not the kind you associated with a lack of fitness.

As you mention, this leads to reduced competition, reduced rotation and all in all makes small injuries into big injuries.

I know PB is still not the most popular on here, but I don't think he's ever been accused of having an unfit team anywhere he's been. The fitness coaches are important and the philosophy of the manager is too. Certainly when we had Mark Williams and Jamie Douglas we were a very fit side, but it's hard to tell how much of that is from them and how much from the management.

Edit: I think Mark Williams is now handling the fitness of the national basketball team?

Back