• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Gary Waddock: 'Drastic action' is needed at Southend United

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United’s caretaker manager Gary Waddock feels ‘drastic action’ is needed to get the Shrimpers back on track.

More...

WEIRD he does not think he will be in a position to pick the team Friday

Would have thought his input would have crucial to whoever

It will be interesting to see what a new manager can do that is drastic. Unless he has some cash to find and bring in any (still fit) out of contract players he has to work with what he has at least until January and then somehow tempt some quality into a struggling club. The few positives from this week are:

Hopper’s return which should be like a new quality signing once he gets close to previous form.

Video footage of 30 minutes on Saturday where we looked a decent side - I’d make the players watch is over and over again and focus on what they can do.

Hopefully any excitement caused by a new manager in the squad to get some kind of bounce.

Beyond that it’s going to be hard graft trying to get rid of the poor defending that puts us on the back foot in every game and kills the confidence.

Waddock is a decent man and I think that he is a better manager than he has been able to show us. He does at least speak his mind in interviews and must be driven up the wall by the poor attitude of some of his players. Whoever the new manager is he must induce some confidence in the players and have a good deal of luck in the first few games in which he is in charge. We need to garner enough points by January to give a hopefully renewed squad in the transfer window a fighting chance of ending in 20th place or higher.

Waddock positions is impossible..

If he has a serious issue with a player all the player has to do is chill out and see how things go with the next manager ..

There might be some players who thinks he talks crap .... and are waiting to see what
the next incumbent thinks ...

Waddock positions is impossible..

If he has a serious issue with a player all the player has to do is chill out and see how things go with the next manager ..

There might be some players who thinks he talks crap .... and are waiting to see what
the next incumbent thinks ...
I think it's clear we have some players who's attitude leaves a lot to be desired, Waddock, Bond, Powell and Brown to some extent have all had his issue to contend with. Massive clear out needed ASAP.

What this highlights is a total dereliction of duty by Bond.
I'd love to know why reasons for some of the signings that have brought us to this place?
One of two things is obvious: the remains of last year's squad carried heavy mental baggage, and he should have recognised that and acted accordingly, OR, his eye for a player is pants.

I think it's clear we have some players who's attitude leaves a lot to be desired, Waddock, Bond, Powell and Brown to some extent have all had his issue to contend with. Massive clear out needed ASAP.

So who would you clear out?

Let me rephrase that....would you get rid based on ability or what appears lack of effort / desire?

Last edited:
I'd love to know why reasons for some of the signings that have brought us to this place?
One of two things is obvious: the remains of last year's squad carried heavy mental baggage, and he should have recognised that and acted accordingly, OR, his eye for a player is pants.

I’m honestly not sure how Bond gets the bulk of the blame for this mess?

As an accumulative effect the last few a managers have all been culpable but I’d argue the biggest culprits are the players that have decided for whatever reason to not lift a finger for various managers....

I would start with Mantom, Lennon and maybe Cox.

Sorry I edited as you posted....

Mantom is a tricky one....because I do think he’s lacking any real quality but I also think he’s a pretty honest pro who in a better environment may be a better player than we’ve seen....

Sorry I edited as you posted....

Mantom is a tricky one....because I do think he’s lacking any real quality but I also think he’s a pretty honest pro who in a better environment may be a better player than we’ve seen....
I'm saying Mantom and Lennon on ability. Cox for possible / probable negative influence in the dressing room.

It's pretty obvious why he signed all the players that he did. They may not have worked out in the way he hoped but the holes he was trying to fill were glaring.

I think Bond's biggest failure was in not clearing out the malcontents and malingerers from last year's squad, although it seems clear that his budget was limited.

I’m not sure why Humphrys didn’t play on Saturday- if injured , then that’s clear.

If , as some said , he had a fall out with the Manager and Waddock left him out , then I back Waddock or anyone over the player.

My gut feeling , without any basis, is that Humphrys is a disruptive influence ( possibly not the only one ) so I’m quite happy that he was left out.
I know I will be in the minority here , but I actually don’t rate him much as a player.

What on earth else can Waddock say, Ron Martin's put him in this unenviable position. He's just fulfilling his contract like a true professional. This must be the longest we have gone without a manager in our history? Surely Ron saw this coming in August, he must have been getting feedback that this squad is not up to League 1? I bet Waddock can't wait to get paid off and have a break from this circus!

I’m not sure why Humphrys didn’t play on Saturday- if injured , then that’s clear.

If , as some said , he had a fall out with the Manager and Waddock left him out , then I back Waddock or anyone over the player.

My gut feeling , without any basis, is that Humphrys is a disruptive influence ( possibly not the only one ) so I’m quite happy that he was left out.
I know I will be in the minority here , but I actually don’t rate him much as a player.
He fell out with Bond so I wouldn't rule out your theory.

From my very reliable source, Humphrys has a genuine thigh injury. He also gets on very well with Waddock. He's already spoken publicly in backing Waddock, and saying how he's created a much better atmosphere around the club, and that he talks to players and encourages them. It was Bond he didn't get on with.
Ignore people making things up that he wasn't injured, and must have fallen out with the manager.

I suspect Bond didn't have enough time at the end of last season to make many changes and work out who the problems were. Maybe he started to discover that in pre-season, but was probably hamstrung by both our budget and existing contracts. Furthermore I'd like to know what role both Bond and our 'head of recruitment' has played in player buys and sales? I'm not sure a single signing is an upgrade from anyone here already or let go over the summer.

Back