• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Gary Waddock: 'Drastic action' is needed at Southend United

I suspect Bond didn't have enough time at the end of last season to make many changes and work out who the problems were. Maybe he started to discover that in pre-season, but was probably hamstrung by both our budget and existing contracts. Furthermore I'd like to know what role both Bond and our 'head of recruitment' has played in player buys and sales? I'm not sure a single signing is an upgrade from anyone here already or let go over the summer.
Agree with the last two sentences.
But he had from April 2 until Sept 2 (transfer deadline day) - four whole months to make changes.
Yes, the budget was a concern, but if anyone taking the reins of a business can't see what needs to be done in a third of a year, he's in the wrong job.

It's pretty obvious why he signed all the players that he did. They may not have worked out in the way he hoped but the holes he was trying to fill were glaring.

I think Bond's biggest failure was in not clearing out the malcontents and malingerers from last year's squad, although it seems clear that his budget was limited.
By reasons. I hoped to imply why these particular players? Not the holes that needed to be plugged.
When there is upward of 750 players available at our level in the summer transfer window, there's a lot of choice, not all of it any good, but all the same...

I’d say that it’s been made pretty clear to Waddock, the players also, that he’s not here much longer. So fair play to the bloke for keeping his dignity and trying his best. If I was him, I’d walk now.

I’d say that it’s been made pretty clear to Waddock, the players also, that he’s not here much longer. So fair play to the bloke for keeping his dignity and trying his best. If I was him, I’d walk now.
I hope he doesn't walk, he deserves every penny of compo coming his way

Sounds like the Boots and Laces canteen should remove the knives and forks from the cutlery tray.

What this highlights is a total dereliction of duty by Bond.
I'd love to know why reasons for some of the signings that have brought us to this place?
One of two things is obvious: the remains of last year's squad carried heavy mental baggage, and he should have recognised that and acted accordingly, OR, his eye for a player is pants.

Said this to a few people at games - who scouts the players coming in? My main bafflement remains Shaughnessy. Firstly I think there is a good player there, but it is clear he is an old school, no nonsense, smash it in row Z defender.
So who at the football club thought he'd be a wonderful fit for the type of football Bond wanted to play?

We have such an unbalanced squad and I agree with what Bond said before he went that it'll take multiple transfer windows to sort it out. I think it's clear however that if Bond had anything to do with the players bought in then he really needs to stick to just coaching.

Said this to a few people at games - who scouts the players coming in? My main bafflement remains Shaughnessy. Firstly I think there is a good player there, but it is clear he is an old school, no nonsense, smash it in row Z defender.
So who at the football club thought he'd be a wonderful fit for the type of football Bond wanted to play?

We have such an unbalanced squad and I agree with what Bond said before he went that it'll take multiple transfer windows to sort it out. I think it's clear however that if Bond had anything to do with the players bought in then he really needs to stick to just coaching.
By definition of his role: 'manager' - he most certainly would have had a say.
BUT it's been 11 years since he managed at this level, and lest we forget, a reminder from the past.
This from the BBC website: "On 20 September 2006, the Football Association announced that it was to investigate allegations "relating to players' agents and connected activities" concerning Kevin Bond, following a BBC Panorama special on corruption in football. Newcastle United placed him on gardening leave following the broadcast, and terminated his contract on 26 September,[25] although no charges were brought against him, and Bond has denied the allegations".

Back