• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gate Money.

I'm currently watching a fascinating documentary on how the national league handled to grants given to them by the lottery during Covid and how that has 'baked in' an advantage for some of them for several seasons.

The money was meant to be split on an average attendance basis but was actually split evenly, this meant that Borehamwood got £336 per fan per game for the matches that fans couldn't attend and York got just £13.

The national league board look incredibly dodgy in all of this

I'm currently watching a fascinating documentary on how the national league handled to grants given to them by the lottery during Covid and how that has 'baked in' an advantage for some of them for several seasons.

The money was meant to be split on an average attendance basis but was actually split evenly, this meant that Borehamwood got £336 per fan per game for the matches that fans couldn't attend and York got just £13.

Do you have the link please?

All at it

Yep we watched it with Ron in the Shrimpers bar
Interesting. In less time it would have taken to watch and understand the link you have twice responded with inconsequential, partly illiterate and inaccurate statements which pretty much sum of the majority of this thread and why Shrimperzone has become a lurker not a mutually participant fan-zone (if you like). Instead populated with misconceptions conjectured drivel with sometimes an air of defamatory stench a mild threat. If fails to represent the average supporter, the way it purports and unfortunately can spread entirely false narrative. Before the mud slings, I've met Ron, I don't know him, or his hairdresser or who he drinks lattes with, but I do know that running a business under multiple multi directional influences is complex and on any given day a minute change of context could have huge implications, especially over a duration, of which as fans we have absolutely no knowledge of whatsoever. May I know suggest you put me on ignore as our approach to using a public open forum that holds our posts in perpetuity are significantly different.

Interesting. In less time it would have taken to watch and understand the link you have twice responded with inconsequential, partly illiterate and inaccurate statements which pretty much sum of the majority of this thread and why Shrimperzone has become a lurker not a mutually participant fan-zone (if you like). Instead populated with misconceptions conjectured drivel with sometimes an air of defamatory stench a mild threat. If fails to represent the average supporter, the way it purports and unfortunately can spread entirely false narrative. Before the mud slings, I've met Ron, I don't know him, or his hairdresser or who he drinks lattes with, but I do know that running a business under multiple multi directional influences is complex and on any given day a minute change of context could have huge implications, especially over a duration, of which as fans we have absolutely no knowledge of whatsoever. May I know suggest you put me on ignore as our approach to using a public open forum that holds our posts in perpetuity are significantly different.
Sorry had a few beers. No intention in offending you. I've help create a $1b company in the past and run my own company now FYI. Met Ron too and know an array of people who know him and all think he is a con-man. Will watch your vid attached tomorrow ;-)

Just to point out a link to that video and discussion have been on ShrimperZone since last Thursday.

I see, thanks for pointing that out, I missed it. It's an Interesting topic for many clubs and more so fans, who appreciate social consciousness, a bit like the new thread this morning quoting JFK, which is equally relevant.

Interesting. In less time it would have taken to watch and understand the link you have twice responded with inconsequential, partly illiterate and inaccurate statements

If I had made a basic punctuation error in my user name, I'd stop short of accusing anyone of illiteracy.

Anyway, This Shrimpers' a keeper, that's handy because we could do with one at the moment.

If I had made a basic punctuation error in my user name, I'd stop short of accusing anyone of illiteracy.

Anyway, This Shrimpers' a keeper, that's handy because we could do with one at the moment.
It appears rudimentary errors are the critical factor for all keepers, these days ;)

Interesting watch.Thanks for sharing.Not sure how it concerns our current situation though.Weren't we an EFL club during the pandemic? Certainly remember I could see all our games on iFollow at that time and not last season or this when we've been in the NL for the first time in our history.Surely our current problem is how to regain our EFL status?

Interesting watch.Thanks for sharing.Not sure how it concerns our current situation though.Weren't we an EFL club during the pandemic? Certainly remember I could see all our games on iFollow at that time and not last season or this when we've been in the NL for the first time in our history.Surely our current problem is how to regain our EFL status?
It shows just how many clubs with small fan bases have been able to gain an unfair advantage, they will still be gaining from that by not having to manage a historic debt

It shows just how many clubs with small fan bases have been able to gain an unfair advantage, they will still be gaining from that by not having to manage a historic debt
Yes I think we can all agree that the 10m. lottery money was unfairly shared out but that was in the past, our situation is very much in the present.

Edit.I'd 've thought the 3 teams currently at the top of the NL (and therefore with a realistic chance of automatic promotion) all have pretty similar average attendences to ours.(They were also in the NL at the time of the pandemic).

Last edited:
Yes I think we can all agree that the 10m. lottery money was unfairly shared out but that was in the past, our situation is very much in the present.
I agree, but I think as a business our football issues are multi facetted and more prevalent than many realise. Many financial aspects have contributed to our current situation, the Ukraine, COVID, the football pyramid as a whole, our own aspirations to succeed in previous seasons (gross overspend chasing named managers or players, attempting to meet fan expectations) are all partly complicit today. I found the link of general interest, not just for SUFC. Some feel Ron is entirely to blame, and if course he is inextricably linked but as in any industry, you are not always in overall control of your destinies, whether 'they' or fans like it or not.

I agree, but I think as a business our football issues are multi facetted and more prevalent than many realise. Many financial aspects have contributed to our current situation, the Ukraine, COVID, the football pyramid as a whole, our own aspirations to succeed in previous seasons (gross overspend chasing named managers or players, attempting to meet fan expectations) are all partly complicit today. I found the link of general interest, not just for SUFC. Some feel Ron is entirely to blame, and if course he is inextricably linked but as in any industry, you are not always in overall control of your destinies, whether 'they' or fans like it or not.
Don't think the Ukraine,covid stuff will work as an excuse for the Chairman any more than it will do for HMG. :Winking:

Back