• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gay marriage

Are you in favour of gay marriage?

• Yes/got nothing against it

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • No,I'm completely against it

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Not bothered/ not interested etc

Votes: 20 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reckoning the following will happen in this thread:

"Gays should burn", cue kneejerk reaction, person with opinion gets told they're wrong, 79 pages of argument about the rights and wrongs of being gay.

Next up, is it right to be black?

Can't we just have a Battle of the Boobies/Bums or something? Much better discussion.

This bloody forum is like the Evening Echo comments page sometimes.

Yep here comes a ****ing knee-jerk. This is just plain WRONG. Simple as that. I refuse to believe that more than 3 or 4% of people are gay. It wouldn't surprise me if many more have experimented

Lets start with the basics. I have no problem with gay. My local boss is gay and in a long term partnership. I work for a large company and know plenty of them. I have a massive problem with gay marriage. I'm not religious but believe marriage is an arrangement where people can devote their lives together for the biological act if procreation and the emotional act of love. I'm all for equal tax rights for those of either persuasion in committed civil partnerships but, call me old fashioned, if you go gay you forego the RIGHT to marriage and kids. I have a massive problem with that as well.

I have a bigger problem with marriage and divorce. It is FAR too easy for people to get married these days. That's the crux of all of these problems. Make marriage and divorce harder (expect for abuse and infidelity) and get it back to the event it is supposed to represent.

Proudly married for 20 years. Just as strong even though I'm currently in HK and my family is still in the UK.

Sorry if that offends that's my opinion and I respect the rights of others to fundamentally disagree.

I should add that Cameron was incredibly brave to make that statement. Fair play to him but I do also think the country has bigger issues to prioritise at the moment.

Last edited:
Yep here comes a ****ing knee-jerk. This is just plain WRONG. Simple as that. I refuse to believe that more than 3 or 4% of people are gay. It wouldn't surprise me if many more have experimented

Lets start with the basics. I have no problem with gay. My local boss is gay and in a long term partnership. I work for a large company and know plenty of them. I have a massive problem with gay marriage. I'm not religious but believe marriage is an arrangement where people can devote their lives together for the biological act if procreation and the emotional act of love. I'm all for equal tax rights for those of either persuasion in committed civil partnerships but, call me old fashioned, if you go gay you forego the RIGHT to marriage and kids. I have a massive problem with that as well.

I have a bigger problem with marriage and divorce. It is FAR too easy for people to get married these days. That's the crux of all of these problems. Make marriage and divorce harder (expect for abuse and infidelity) and get it back to the event it is supposed to represent.

Proudly married for 20 years. Just as strong even though I'm currently in HK and my family is still in the UK.

Sorry if that offends that's my opinion and I respect the rights of others to fundamentally disagree.

I should add that Cameron was incredibly brave to make that statement. Fair play to him but I do also think the country has bigger issues to prioritise at the moment.
Yes yes yes!!!!!

I'm reckoning the following will happen in this thread:

"Gays should burn", cue kneejerk reaction, person with opinion gets told they're wrong, 79 pages of argument about the rights and wrongs of being gay.

Next up, is it right to be black?

Can't we just have a Battle of the Boobies/Bums or something? Much better discussion.

This bloody forum is like the Evening Echo comments page sometimes.

Agreed, sometimes it's like Canute yelling at the tide to go back.

i personally dont see how it could possibly effect anyone who isnt gay??
its hardly like you now HAVE to marry a member of the same sex.... so personally i couldnt care less

I also wonder how many "i know a gay therefore i have no problem with gays" or "i dont mind gays i met one once" comments are said. They are almost as good as John Terry saying he isnt racist because he knows a black person.

i personally dont see how it could possibly effect anyone who isnt gay??
its hardly like you now HAVE to marry a member of the same sex.... so personally i couldnt care less

I also wonder how many "i know a gay therefore i have no problem with gays" or "i dont mind gays i met one once" comments are said. They are almost as good as John Terry saying he isnt racist because he knows a black person.
exactly this, if you have the right to do something, what do you gain from denying the right to someone else? There is enough marriage to go around for everyone to have some - fill yr boots.

Gay marriage makes a mockery of what a marriage is in the eyes of God

Seeing as God is as made up as Father Christmas Im not sure that counts for a lot.

Im sure you are waiting till you get married before losing your virginity though TB ? :winking:

Live and let live, I wouldnt marry a gay person myself but if gay people want to get married who gives a monkeys, it doesnt affect my life in any shape or form so why should I care?

Seeing as God is as made up as Father Christmas Im not sure that counts for a lot.

Im sure you are waiting till you get married before losing your virginity though TB ? :winking:

Live and let live, I wouldnt marry a gay person myself but if gay people want to get married who gives a monkeys, it doesnt affect my life in any shape or form so why should I care?
In your opinion. Coming out with a statement like that is as offensive to believers as those violently opposing gay marriage is to others here. We are all different, we all have many different levels of acceptance and tolerance.

As for me, well, I do see what ORM is saying and that would have been my reaction not so long ago, however, I think everyone has as much entitlement to enjoy a loving relationship as anyone else. If gays feel they need the sanctification of a marriage licence then I don't really have a problem with it.

Ha ha, almost a fair point except that in this case what I'm arguing is that marriage, by definition, is the union of opposite sex.i do not deny the rights of anyone to share the same benefits in law and tax but not in name.

In your opinion. Coming out with a statement like that is as offensive to believers as those violently opposing gay marriage is to others here. We are all different, we all have many different levels of acceptance and tolerance.

As for me, well, I do see what ORM is saying and that would have been my reaction not so long ago, however, I think everyone has as much entitlement to enjoy a loving relationship as anyone else. If gays feel they need the sanctification of a marriage licence then I don't really have a problem with it.

Difference is I dont say people shouldnt go to church or worship who or what they want.

BIG difference.

If I start creating polls asking 'should people be able to go to church to worship entities that make no sense' then you'd have a point

There is no ounce of my being that believes in any god, but if people want to go to church then thats their perogative.

If gay people want to commit to each other, thats theirs.

Ha ha, almost a fair point except that in this case what I'm arguing is that marriage, by definition, is the union of opposite sex.i do not deny the rights of anyone to share the same benefits in law and tax but not in name.

I see... maybe we should have a new poll for its new name? :D

personally I view marriage as "the union of 2 people" opposite/same sex couples fit into that with no issues

I couldn't give a toss to be honest. If two gays want to cement their relationship in the eyes of the law by going through a ceremony then why should I give a monkey's. As Jam Man has said. It effects my life not one iota and more to the point with it being a supposedly religious ceremony and every religion on earth being a complete load of boolocks (In my opinion, for all you sensitive types :winking: ) it means even less to me now than when I started typing this.

call me old fashioned, if you go gay you forego the RIGHT to marriage and kids.

It's really not a case of "going" gay. It's not as if it's some kind of diet or lifestyle choice you choose to go on if you decide vaginas aren't your bag any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back