• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fair point I will wait until both the cards have been announced and who will be on it before deciding.

The 12th September card ain't worth 2-bob. The undercard is basically area level*, only 1 decent fight on there & thats Hibbert vs Ryan.

I'm not knocking area level though, it's just I wouldn't pay £60-£100 for the privilege of watching it.

The 12th September card ain't worth 2-bob. The undercard is basically area level*, only 1 decent fight on there & thats Hibbert vs Ryan.

I'm not knocking area level though, it's just I wouldn't pay £60-£100 for the privilege of watching it.

Thanks for the heads up do you think the card for the Whyte bout will be better?

Thanks for the heads up do you think the card for the Whyte bout will be better?

I really couldn't say atm, especially without looking at the rest of the currently booked schedule. It depends who from Hearn's stable, is pencilled in to fight in Sept/Oct time, because they probably won't feature in Nov/Dec.

I know this though, Hearn has had to scrap plans for 2 PPV's now. The August mismatch of Coyle & Campbell, aswell as Sept 12th. So it wouldn't surprise me if Hearn planned the AJ - Whyte scrap as a PPV, but again it'd depend on how strong an undercard he could build (even though saying that, he hasn't cared in the past about a strong undercard for PPV events)

FWIW, I'll try & shine some positives on going to the 12 Sept event. IF the VIP tickets were cheap for the 12th Sept, (£150) then considering it's your first time at live boxing, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Normally for that, you get front row ringside, free bar, free food etc etc. I've done a few VIP events (not just boxing) and they're always a great laugh. Especially the free bar :) From a competitive boxing perspective, it might not be the best night, but for the price & everything that goes with it, it wouldn't be bad

**and yes, I recognise the irony between this & my last post, but I never stopped to consider the VIP element

:)

Well that was embarrassing for Price!

He won't recover from that. I said from the get go, his defence is awful & he's got blazed again. Shame, because I've met Pricey & he's an absolute gentleman. Couldnt say a bad word against the man, outside of the ring, a very humble, polite guy. But unfortunately his weaknesses were there for all to see, from early doors.

That to me, ends the idea of him & AJ having a competitive bout. I'd hoped (but was dubious) he'd learnt & gotten over those silly mistakes, but no.

He won't recover from that. I said from the get go, his defence is awful & he's got blazed again. Shame, because I've met Pricey & he's an absolute gentleman. Couldnt say a bad word against the man, outside of the ring, a very humble, polite guy. But unfortunately his weaknesses were there for all to see, from early doors.

That to me, ends the idea of him & AJ having a competitive bout. I'd hoped (but was dubious) he'd learnt & gotten over those silly mistakes, but no.

Its a shame, I actually bought into the hype when he and Fury were verbally sparring and both had their 0's - which should give you hope in our AJ / Hughie battle.

That chin is just too weak, almost makes Khan look tough. I reckon he'll push for one more payday with AJ, but whether Hearn and AJ will consider him now, is another thing.

What about Quigg though, smashing KO. I was trying to find GBJ's comments re: Frampton Quigg from before. What do you think, still a brutal Frampton KO? As you know, I've been team Quigg all along, and for me, whereas Frampton peaked early, and was definitely the better boxer, he seems to have stalled a little in his development. Quigg is getting better and better with each bout, and he's become proper spiteful in the ring too. Points win for Quigg for me, maybe even a late stoppage.

What do you boys reckon?

Managed to watch both quigg and Frampton last night , I actually think Frampton was a better operator of the 2 but after last nights who knows , one thing I would say is that I actually believe Framptons excuse for the 2flash knock downs after reading into it a bit , he was never hurt and showed character .
This is the fight I'm looking forward to the most .

GBJ - I take the mismatch means u see Campbell winning comfortably as I would expect this to go into the later rounds .

Finally in respect of AJ and his lack of worthy opponents , surely I can find numerous greats who's first 10 to 15 fights were against journeymen etc , it's just part and parcel of the game and learning curve ??

Managed to watch both quigg and Frampton last night , I actually think Frampton was a better operator of the 2 but after last nights who knows , one thing I would say is that I actually believe Framptons excuse for the 2flash knock downs after reading into it a bit , he was never hurt and showed character .
This is the fight I'm looking forward to the most .

GBJ - I take the mismatch means u see Campbell winning comfortably as I would expect this to go into the later rounds .

Finally in respect of AJ and his lack of worthy opponents , surely I can find numerous greats who's first 10 to 15 fights were against journeymen etc , it's just part and parcel of the game and learning curve ??

I didn't manage to see the Frampton fight, hopefully ITV put it on catch up, how was it? See Hearn reckons Frampton will move up a weight to avoid Quigg, and that Donaire is close to a match too

I think so, and you can't really argue with it - his speed, ring craft and Coyle's predilection for hitting the canvas all weigh in Campbell's corner.

Ignore GBJ's comments on AJ, he's on the Fury troll wagon, ay mate :winking:

Its a shame, I actually bought into the hype when he and Fury were verbally sparring and both had their 0's - which should give you hope in our AJ / Hughie battle.

That chin is just too weak, almost makes Khan look tough. I reckon he'll push for one more payday with AJ, but whether Hearn and AJ will consider him now, is another thing.

It's ok, my mates laughed at me aswell when I confidently proclaimed Fury would smash Pricey. Unfortunately for Price, I think his defence was never gunna be good enough. He'd been dropped a few times in the am's, so against decent pro opposition, it was always gunna be a big possibility/probability. He's reached his ceiling, challenging for European honours.

What about Quigg though, smashing KO. I was trying to find GBJ's comments re: Frampton Quigg from before. What do you think, still a brutal Frampton KO? As you know, I've been team Quigg all along, and for me, whereas Frampton peaked early, and was definitely the better boxer, he seems to have stalled a little in his development. Quigg is getting better and better with each bout, and he's become proper spiteful in the ring too. Points win for Quigg for me, maybe even a late stoppage.

What do you boys reckon?

Still gotta stick with Frampton to edge it. Brilliant performance from Quigg Against Kiko though. He's made it a lot tougher to split them now, and possibly even swung the pendulum slightly in his favour. That said, I'd still fancy Frampton to execute a game plan better than Quigg could. Frampton on points, but by a small margin.

Definite mismatch. The bookies agree, pricing Campbell at 1/8. Campbell will dispatch of him easily enough. His natural class will keep Coyle at a decent range & pick him off with point winning shots, before eventually catching him flush & Coyle stays down.

just as a side note, when Coyle fought Katsidis, the people of Hull actually boo'd Katsidis into the ring. Absolutely shocking Way to treat a future HOF certainty. And if that wasn't bad enough, Kats shouldn't have even been allowed to fight, his body was shot to pieces, but when Coyle stopped him, he was bouncing around celebrating, as if he'd just won the Euromillions jackpot. Such disregard for an absolute legend, who was really a shell of his former self, summed up Coyle & the inhabitants of Humberside.

Oh I agree, but tell me, if it's a learning curve, just what is Joshua learning from beating up the same level of opponent, who he's faced for the past 2 years? The idea is, he learns different things, by steadily increasing the difficulty level & experiencing different attributes & actually being tested. That's simply not happened.

Has as he fought anyone bigger than him? No. Has he fought off the backfoot yet? No. Has he been chin checked? No. Has he been tested for stamina, I.e. Could he make it into the later rounds? No.
Has he actually been in with someone, who's actually turned up to fight & not just claim a paycheque? Nah.

So for 2 years as a pro fighter, his learning curve, looks like a pretty straight line to me. Please, if I'm wrong, correct me, but he's learned absolutely **** all in 2 years as a pro. Apart from how to beat up an inanimate object.

Ignore GBJ's comments on AJ, he's on the Fury troll wagon, ay mate :winking:

WAR Fury Haha!!

Hearn talking to Khan about the possibility of a bout with Brook. Now that I would love to see, and watch Brook destroy Khan.

Hearn talking to Khan about the possibility of a bout with Brook. Now that I would love to see, and watch Brook destroy Khan.

I would love to see it as well, but a strong statement your making there about Brook destroying Khan. Im not so sure at this stage.

I would love to see it as well, but a strong statement your making there about Brook destroying Khan. Im not so sure at this stage.

My predictions are always way off the mark! I was adamant that Audley Harrison was going to beat David Haye and look how that turned out.

He can talk all he wants, but until Floyd officially announces his Sept 12th opponent, Khan won't commit to any other fight.

I think the fight can be a close encounter. FWIW I don't expect it to be an explosive, trade-off fight. Instead it'll be Khan trying to evade Brook, whilst nicking rounds with his fast in-and-out style & high volume of punches. This will see him to a close points victory. UNLESS, Brook can close the gap & catch Khan flush. If he does that, then Khan won't get up.

My my money would be on both a Khan points win (he's definitely not capable of a KO victory, simply because Khan doesn't carry power at Welterweight. OR Brook KO, mid to late

My predictions are always way off the mark! I was adamant that Audley Harrison was going to beat David Haye and look how that turned out.

That's the fun of predictions!! We're all predicting something, which is determined by so many conflicting factors, that it's actually very difficult to get correct.

I like to think I get more right, than I get wrong (probably 51:49 in fairness haha) but even if I do call something the completely opposite way, then it doesn't put me off calling he next one. Just have to accept it & keep cracking on until your next prediction is spot on

That's the fun of predictions!! We're all predicting something, which is determined by so many conflicting factors, that it's actually very difficult to get correct.

I like to think I get more right, than I get wrong (probably 51:49 in fairness haha) but even if I do call something the completely opposite way, then it doesn't put me off calling he next one. Just have to accept it & keep cracking on until your next prediction is spot on

Did someone say they're gonna do a Boxing Prediction league???

Agree though - see my earlier statement about Price's career against Fury's. I also genuinely believed Haye had the tools to upset Wlad as well, to the point I bought into and still believe the toe theory.

I think a Kell KO with Khan one or two rounds up on the cards. Khan would do well, but he's not disciplined or good enough to avoid Brook's shots for twelve rounds. Brook proved against Porter he's patient enough to keep landing accurate point scoring shots, I think he could execute that same game plan against Khan; and let Khan use his speed to nick rounds, in the knowledge that his accuracy and power would see him land the shots that would end the fight.

That said, I've written Khan off before.

Did someone say they're gonna do a Boxing Prediction league???

I'd be game, but I wouldn't wanna organise it :thumbsup:

I think a Kell KO with Khan one or two rounds up on the cards. Khan would do well, but he's not disciplined or good enough to avoid Brook's shots for twelve rounds. Brook proved against Porter he's patient enough to keep landing accurate point scoring shots, I think he could execute that same game plan against Khan; and let Khan use his speed to nick rounds, in the knowledge that his accuracy and power would see him land the shots that would end the fight.

That said, I've written Khan off before.

Agree with all that completely. Exactly how I would expect Brook to approach the fight, and I'm totally with you on Khan's discipline. From our theories it seems so cut & dry, but there's something telling me, I'm underestimating Khan a bit. Maybe his experience? Khan's been in with some greats, whilst Brook has been in with hardly anybody (Porter aside)

Interestingly, the initial prices for Khan - Brook are...

SkyBet:

Khan 4/9
Brook 7/4

WH

Khan 4/7
Brook 11/8

Interestingly, the initial prices for Khan - Brook are...

SkyBet:

Khan 4/9
Brook 7/4

WH

Khan 4/7
Brook 11/8

7/4 on Brook. Wow - I'd be all over that if the fight got made, even though the bookies do rarely get it wrong.

You gotta give Wlad some credit though, with the likes of Haye and Briggs recently, he's seen it before and deals with it in good humour.

Wladimir Klitschko said:
"Is this it? He didn't throw the table? He didn't throw a microphone somewhere? His shoe? I don't know. There has been flying shoes and so much entertainment before - I'm sure it's going to show up. It's going to be very enjoyable for the fight.

Back