• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

General Election 2010: Forget Brown, Is It Time For Cameron To Go?

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
Interesting reading in the early edition of the Daily Telegraph. Latest MORI poll shows the following standings:

Conservative 37%
Labour 32%
Liberal Democrat 19%
Others 12%

That would certainly mean a hung parliament. The Conservatives had a seemingly uncatchable lead of between 15-18%, just prior to the party conference season last autumn, and were dead certs to return to power.

In the intervening period, though, David Cameron has said little and, it seems, done less, while in the meantime it appears some media stories focusing on Gordon Brown personally has backfired.

From what appeared to be a position where they could not possibly lose, the Cameron led Tories could be sleepwalking into not only a hung parliament, but a hung parliament led by Gordon Brown if the current slide in poll ratings continue.

If a hung parliament happens, whether it's led by Conservatives or not, should Cameron go?

Interesting reading in the early edition of the Daily Telegraph. Latest MORI poll shows the following standings:

Conservative 37%
Labour 32%
Liberal Democrat 19%
Others 12%

That would certainly mean a hung parliament. The Conservatives had a seemingly uncatchable lead of between 15-18%, just prior to the party conference season last autumn, and were dead certs to return to power.

In the intervening period, though, David Cameron has said little and, it seems, done less, while in the meantime it appears some media stories focusing on Gordon Brown personally has backfired.

From what appeared to be a position where they could not possibly lose, the Cameron led Tories could be sleepwalking into not only a hung parliament, but a hung parliament led by Gordon Brown if the current slide in poll ratings continue.

If a hung parliament happens, whether it's led by Conservatives or not, should Cameron go?

I would imagine that as soon as the main election campaign starts, Cameron will crank up the PR machine. Could be wrong, but I've a feeling he's timing it so as to maximise poll position on polling day.

I would imagine that as soon as the main election campaign starts, Cameron will crank up the PR machine. Could be wrong, but I've a feeling he's timing it so as to maximise poll position on polling day.

Not long left. I work as a poll clerk and the possible date we've been given in March 25th.

Not long left. I work as a poll clerk and the possible date we've been given in March 25th.

I can't see it being March 25th Paul, that's barely 3 weeks away, Brown has to go to the Queen ask permission to dissolve Parliament, I can't see that happening.

The local elections are May 6th and I reckon that will be the day also for the general election.

If thats the case then Monday 1st March would have to be the day the proclamation of dissolution would have to issued.

I think this time round a coaltion might be what we actually need (though hugely wishful thinking ) all the sod's will have to work together to get things done (and of course party whips having alittle less influence and MP's who want things to be better maybe have a chance to do so )

Cameron himself . Pretty boy MP , no real bite or experience about the same as Hauge and the other non de scripts. I don't believe the Tories actually have anyone to replace him anyway and certainly wouldn't this close to a general election.

The FT over the past 3 days have being doing an all most character assasination of Cameron, considering the FT and their political stance was surprised by them but not at the reports of him

Agree with above similar to Hague and Ian Duncan Smith no real bite or experience except Cameron has a PR machine which is slowly being caught out with his pre planned meetings with tories all around him exercise now being shown to be a sham

The FT over the past 3 days have being doing an all most character assasination of Cameron, considering the FT and their political stance was surprised by them but not at the reports of him

Agree with above similar to Hague and Ian Duncan Smith no real bite or experience except Cameron has a PR machine which is slowly being caught out with his pre planned meetings with tories all around him exercise now being shown to be a sham

To be fair the FT is about who's the best leader/economic manager for the country . Lol IDS yes i couldnt even remember who he was .

I guess we're too obsessed with a figure head , so with a coalition maybe gives a chance for teh individual MP's to show they can actually do something

On the basis of no experience, New Labour shouldn't have been elected in 1997, as whichever version of Labour you want to dress them up as they had been in opposition for 18 years.

My view is that a coalition won't help, we have a government in power who won't tackle the growing debt crisis for fear of becoming more unpopular. Therefore the country and government is constipated because of this inaction.

If the powers that be in government won't act, then they sure as hell won't co-operate in a coalition. I'm no huge fan of Cameron, but we need a change of government and as soon as possible. If Labour are re-elected we'll be saddled with the same bunch of tired, failed deadbeats that ran of of steam long ago.

I can't see it being March 25th Paul, that's barely 3 weeks away, Brown has to go to the Queen ask permission to dissolve Parliament, I can't see that happening.

The local elections are May 6th and I reckon that will be the day also for the general election.

Probably right, but if there's two elections I get double bubble :)

When did we last have a hung parliament? Back when hanging was legal, I presume?

I am sure David Cameron acquired the sort of experience money can't buy whilst at Eton or on Bullingdon club jollys with Boris and the boys.

seany t said:
When did we last have a hung parliament? Back when hanging was legal, I presume?
April 1974. Heath had the most seats but didn't have a majority and couldn't form a government. Wilson took over as Prime Minister, and then won a working majority in October 1974

On the basis that the Tories need something in excess of a 6% lead in the poll to win enough seats to form a government (thanks to the voting system which leans towards Labour), I think we are going to have a hung parliament with Labour and the Lib Dems forming a coalition which should be enough to form a government. I imagine Vince Cable will get the Chancellors job.

Back