• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

General Election

This is what is baffling, so many Lib Dem voters now voting Conservative, which just doesn't make sense. If they don't agree with what the party has done since 2010 why are they changing their vote to vote for a more extreme version of the last 5 years?

Personally, I like Nick Clegg a lot and sad to see him step down, and that's coming from a student paying 3 times as much because of him!

Going from Lib Dem to Tory is tactical voting to keep Lab out.

What the Liberal Democrats did not seem to understand was that they were the recipients of anti-tory tactical voting in the past - especially here in Cornwall - and by getting into bed with `call me Dave` have alienated all these tactical voters who have voted for their own choices and not tactically this time (and not to mention student fees)

Prats

It now seems like those lost Lib Dem votes were only ever protest votes.

Felt quite sorry for Cleggy in his farewell speech, decent man who was sadly out of his depth.

Think it's worthwhile repeating a bit more of what Nick Clegg said in his resignation speech.

"We will never know how many lives we changed for the better because we had the courage to step up at a time of crisis. But we have done something that cannot be undone because there can be no doubt that we leave government with Britain a far stronger, fairer, greener, and more liberal country than it was five years ago.However unforgiving the judgement has been at the ballot box, I believe the history books will judge our party kindly…
Liberalism, here as well as across Europe, is not faring well against the politics of fear. Years of remorseless economic and social hardship … and the grinding insecurities of globalisation have led people to reach for new certainties: the politics of identity, of nationalism, of us vs them is now on the rise… The cruellest irony of all is that it is exactly at this time that British liberalism, that fine, noble tradition that believes we are stronger together and weaker apart, is needed now more than ever before.
Fear and grievance have won, liberalism has lost. But it is more precious than ever and we must keep fighting for it."

Funny how after 26 years living outside the UK it still means a lot to me. I stayed up all night Thursday, expecting nail- biting excitement. I ended up trudging off to bed at about 5am feeling defeated and demoralised, fearing the Britain (England?) that is going to emerge over the next five years................amazed it hurt that much. I've been extremely uneasy over the last parliament lending support to a party I fought bitterly against for many years of my life, yet I gritted by teeth and beared it in the belief that we were creating stability and doing something (even if it was little) to stem the excesses of Tory doctrines. Now that is all gone and many in the UK are going to face even more hardship over the coming years. "One nation, one United Kingdom" (?)......fine words but it's not the words that worry me .............it's the deeds that are likely to follow.
Whilst for the Liberal Democrats, in football terms, it's rather like finding overnight that, from being a little team playing in the Premiership, you now find yourself playing in the Conference.

Last edited:
Back