• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BaileytheQuitter

Spelling Guru
Okay- after sitting my first General Studies exam, I cannot for the life of me see why this is a subject!

The first question simply patronised anyone with a degree of intelligence in mathmatics!

Changing Celsius into Farenheit (sp) and visa versa.

Then we were asked to look at the average temperatures of a city in the southern hemisphere and explain why the patterns, basically explain winter and summer!

After we had to take the said data and sketch a graph for it.

These were the low mark questions but still- how much credit do they give 17 and 18 year olds now days.

Then the next question:

Explain, with personal experiences, how genetic pollution can effect your life.

Now I for one did not have a clue what 'Genetic pollution' is, which proves my points, if I don't know what it is, and many others didn't, then how on earth can I have a personal experience. The question seemed to funnel us into answering that; yes- it affected my life. I chose the other option stating how I had never come across genetic pollution and therefore could not understand how it could affect someones life.

Others answerd varied from "I had a glowing king prawn once" to "My roast beef last night was slightly deformed.

Could anyone please explain to me what genetic pollution is, although not going to salvage me any marks in an exam it'd be interesting to know.

Then came the 50 mark question:

Give three causes to the break down in the health and fitness in young people.

(Or words to that effect.)

5 A4 pages later I finished my analysis- we're just lazy f**kers.

Anyway I found this the most pointless exam- universities don't even recognise it as an official A level.

Complete an utter joke- having said all this i'd be suprised if I got enough marks to pass!

BtB.

According to Wikipedia........

Genetic pollution is undesirable gene flow into wild populations. The term is usually associated with the gene flow from a genetically engineered (GE) organism (or genetically modifed organism - GMO) to a non GE organism;[1][2] however, conservation biologists sometimes use it to describe gene flow from a domestic, feral, non-native or invasive species to a wild population.[3][4] Use of the term is however controversial, many scientists saying that it is a meaningless concept.

Can't believe that came up in a General Studies exam!

genetic pollution is all about gene flow into the wild. GM crops and so on.

ps general studies was the difference betwen Oxbridge and AN OTher in my day.

General Studies couted to Universities when I applied, shame for you it does not. In two years, I think I had (in total) 6 hours of lesson time for this subject, it was so ridiculously easy. I basically ****ed all over it. Easy A, I actually got 100% in one of the AS papers, it was that easy. You just need an opinion on anything. It does not matter what ou opinion is, just that you put it across in a cracking way. For example a question " why is black, black", you could say its white, aslong as you put it across well enough.

So do you still have 2 more to go BtB? If so, if you dont understand another question, just make it mean somthing you want, and go for it!!

My brother managed to get Southend United into his General Studies exam and he still passed. In fact, he got the parents to provide the prize in the "Who Can Get the Most Ridiculous Word Into Their Paper" contest (a six pack of lager). I believe the winner was "coconut".

Gotta say, as an A-Level student (sadly too many moons ago) General Studies was the best of subjects as you just didnt have to do any lessons for them. I remember watching Remains of the Day (spread over about 6 weeks as the teacher couldnt control the class), Looking at road density accross the world (ZZZZzzz) and having a lesson where people stated their chosen famous persons case for not being thrown out of an imaginery hot air balloon.

Not surprisingly, none of the above came up in the actual exam papers, which consisted of some below GSCE french questions, a written passage that you then had to answer questions on, some general knowledge multiple choice, and then two essay questions where as long as you state an opinion you cant go wrong. End result was a fully fledged A Level that many universities took into account. Couldnt go wrong!

general studies counted for my uni too. was really handy as didn't go to any lessons but still got full marks on the maths and science papers.

general studies counted for my uni too. was really handy as didn't go to any lessons but still got full marks on the maths and science papers.

Wasnt split into Maths, Science and presulmably English when I did it, that would have been awesome!!

My brother managed to get Southend United into his General Studies exam and he still passed. In fact, he got the parents to provide the prize in the "Who Can Get the Most Ridiculous Word Into Their Paper" contest (a six pack of lager). I believe the winner was "coconut".

Yeh, I got Southend Unitedism (my new religion) into mine. Good times

Honestly, im on 2nd year at seevic and it is the most pointless subject ever.
If your looking to go to uni, most of them dont except it.

I haven't read the first post or any of the posts in here, I'd just like to say:

General studies is a waste of time!

Although, when you have a couple of mates who make borderline/funny jokes it makes it much more enjoyable.

Okay- after sitting my first General Studies exam, I cannot for the life of me see why this is a subject!

The first question simply patronised anyone with a degree of intelligence in mathmatics!

Changing Celsius into Farenheit (sp) and visa versa.

Then we were asked to look at the average temperatures of a city in the southern hemisphere and explain why the patterns, basically explain winter and summer!

After we had to take the said data and sketch a graph for it.

These were the low mark questions but still- how much credit do they give 17 and 18 year olds now days.

Then the next question:

Explain, with personal experiences, how genetic pollution can effect your life.

Now I for one did not have a clue what 'Genetic pollution' is, which proves my points, if I don't know what it is, and many others didn't, then how on earth can I have a personal experience. The question seemed to funnel us into answering that; yes- it affected my life. I chose the other option stating how I had never come across genetic pollution and therefore could not understand how it could affect someones life.

Others answerd varied from "I had a glowing king prawn once" to "My roast beef last night was slightly deformed.

Could anyone please explain to me what genetic pollution is, although not going to salvage me any marks in an exam it'd be interesting to know.

Then came the 50 mark question:

Give three causes to the break down in the health and fitness in young people.

(Or words to that effect.)

5 A4 pages later I finished my analysis- we're just lazy f**kers.

Anyway I found this the most pointless exam- universities don't even recognise it as an official A level.

Complete an utter joke- having said all this i'd be suprised if I got enough marks to pass!

BtB.

Do you think university admissions officers might question you why you failed to pass an "utter joke" of an A level?

Surely you are only in a position to mock the simplicity of an exam if you actually pass it?

Last edited:
I thought it was quite hard. But hey, i don't get science, it's all ****e.

How long has this nonsense been around? I would love to have five A levels, and this looks like something you could knock together in a lunch hour.

Yeah you could BAG. I did a unit in January and got full marks, no revision needed at all. It's ****.

Honestly, im on 2nd year at seevic and it is the most pointless subject ever.
If your looking to go to uni, most of them dont except it.

I considered it to be a joke of an A-level when I took it, but looking back now I think there is plenty of value in an A-level for which you can't specifically be coached. I'd like to see it made standard.

It is amazing how many people are seemingly educated yet can't construct a grammatically correct sentence in English or conjure up a coherent argument, let alone come up with an original (or at least independent) thought. Of all my A-levels, General Studies was the least formulaic. This would IMHO make it a better test of someone's abilities than regurgitating facts and phrases drummed into them.

It sounds like the 'Politics of Postmodernism' course I did in my third year. I found one question in the final exam so obtuse that I just wrote three pages about a Gary Numan track. Strangely, I got a first.

Back