• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

number11

"Good morning everybody........"
Don't know if many of you cricket fans follow the matches not involving England, but there is a great finish to the India v South African series. South Africa thumped India in the first game, but a first innings collapse put them on course for a series levelling defeat. I was watching the morning session this morning with South Africa 7 wickets down and over two sessions left to bat to save thew draw and win the series, they have now batted through to 6 overs left and 1 wicket remaining. I guess India may now have taken the last wicket and floods of Indians are online as my Cricinfo wont update the score! EDIT: Now updated - India have brought on Tendulkar to bowl - 5.4 overs left.

Shame that in an era where they say too much cricket is being played, these two can only manage a 2 match series against each other.

The underlying problem in India is the amount of one day cricket the Indian Board impose on their side and the touring sides. IIRC England played a 3 test series and 7 ODI's, plus T20's. I'm not sure how many ODI's the Saffers will play on this tour, but I'd reckon it will be at least 5.

Given that India will also have the IPL back to host in the spring the money men will want to keep the momentum of the one day stuff (much of which is dross) coming.

Test cricket is still way ahead of any form of the game IMO, I love all forms of the game. But I think a hard fought competitive test series is tough to compare with the slapstick of T20 or the sheer weight of some of the meaningless ODI stuff served up.

It's hard to appreciate how huge cricket is in India, until you see it first-hand. I almost made it to a Test match back in December in Mumbai, but sadly didnt have enough time. Maybe next year!

Two overs to go. Will the Saffers choke!?!

Canvey, I think actually last time we were over there we played a two test series as well?

I just can't ever feel the same tension (except perhaps in a world cup knock out) as I do when Onions is seeing off the final 6 balls, or how the South African fans must have felt over the last 3 hours. Similar to our rearguard action at Cardiff, you just cant replicate in 1 dayers that feeling of going from wondering when defeat will come, to nonsensical optimistic hope, to working out how many overs we have to bat, to thinking we might just bloody do this, to actually doing it, with all the twists along the way over the space of a couple of hours....just to get a bloody draw. Its what makes test cricket brilliant.

And the saffers do choke, with 9 balls remaining, Morkel goes. Drawn series. Hats off to Amla, he has batted superbly this (mini) series, and has scored at least a century each time he came to the crease and only dismissed once. He has come a long way from the bunny he was when he first played against us in 04/05.

Shame that in an era where they say too much cricket is being played, these two can only manage a 2 match series against each other.

A major disappointment that it's only a two match series - between two of the finest test teams around at the moment. Money shouts even louder in India than elsewhere, however.

ODIs and T20 have nothing on the tension of Test cricket, for me...

Back