• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bq2HmU-IEAAv8kG.jpg

Lol Ian Wright. GIVE DEAD SOLDIERS FOOTBALLER PHONE NUMBERS
He needs a proof reader, not for his spelling but to stop him writing irrelevant ****.

So seeing how Dick Van Dyke is your fearless leader there , i gather for him to come up with such a ludicrous scheme ( in my eyes ) then his chief adviser must be Mary Tyler Moore.Comedy Duo.:smile:

To be fair on Ian Wright his family has been through some shizzle while he was in Brazil. May be a case of stay out of the media for a while Wrighty.....

That's actually pretty disrespectful to those that have lost their lives in army. As if playing football comes anywhere close in comparison.

That's actually pretty disrespectful to those that have lost their lives in army. As if playing football comes anywhere close in comparison.

Also last time I checked, we live in a relatively free country. Irrespective of the fact that playing for England is a dream for millions of us, if someone wants to turn that down then they're free to do so without continually being guilt-tripped by media whores and general bellends.

Also last time I checked, we live in a relatively free country. Irrespective of the fact that playing for England is a dream for millions of us, if someone wants to turn that down then they're free to do so without continually being guilt-tripped by media whores and general bellends.

While I get what you're saying above, I don't understand why Ian Wright is being given such a hard time. He's talking about people not having pride in playing for their country, and how that compares with the pride of soldiers and of the families of those who lose their lives in our country's armed forces. What's to pick on there?

While I get what you're saying above, I don't understand why Ian Wright is being given such a hard time. He's talking about people not having pride in playing for their country, and how that compares with the pride of soldiers and of the families of those who lose their lives in our country's armed forces. What's to pick on there?

The fact that they aren't in any way comparable, and at one level it is exploiting the deaths of servicemen and women to guilt-trip professional footballers into doing something they might not want to do.

I don't get this 'pride' issue either. It's a weird complex that runs through a lot of English football. My view is that it's mainly mentioned because it's not really measurable - and rather than tackle the technical and tactical flaws of our players and FA, people in the media and some fans just resort to blaming a 'lack of pride' and how they're 'not proud to wear the three lions'. It's never really been proven, and all the comments from within the squad have been how they've worked hard, given everything possible and they've come up short. Those are the important things, not whether someone belts out the national anthem and kisses the badge etc.

If a fringe player in the squad doesn't want to travel to some eastern european qualifier because their girlfriend is due to give birth in 4 weeks (as Redknapp used as an example) then personally I can get my head around that. I swerved travelling arrangements in a similar situation - it's not because I'm any 'less proud' to represent my employer!!

Also 'pride' in the armed forces? I get that for many people they are extremely proud to defend and fight for our country, and that's absolutely fine. But there's people I know in the forces who just do it because they were 18 and didn't really know what else to do. They're not particularly 'proud' etc, they didn't chose to do it because they felt some sense of loyalty to the throne and the country, they just saw it as a job.

Stripped down to its bare bones, that Ian Wright piece isn't about football or soldiers. It's The Sun attempting to legitimise Redknapp's fanciful claims from the weekend because he's subsequently been ridiculed and flog papers with outlandish nonsense. It's like when the Star write about lottery winners forced to fellate dogs for Quavers, it's nowhere near true, but that doesn't matter.

Redknapp's mates wheel out their Jester in Chief and attach 400 words to his name in an attempt to stir ill-feeling. It's nonsense. As Pubey says, there's nothing quantitative about passion and so is difficult to prove or disprove either way, which makes it an easy weapon with which to criticise the England squad with. This blame culture - whether it be Beckham's, Rooney's, Ronaldo's, the ref's, Hodgson's, McClaren's or whoever's fault - only prevents us from addressing the key issue here and that's we're not producing youngsters technically gifted enough to win major international tournaments. But that doesn't sell newspapers, so out pops Ian Wright spouting a load of nonsense that will get a rise out of the utterly predictable, soldier-praising, 10 German Bombers in the Air-ing, No Surrender-ing type that get themselves into a right state every time there's an incident that proves England isn't quite what it's cracked up to be.

If he had compared serving your country as a soldier it would have been sort of acceptable but taking it to the next level and comparing those who have given their lives is ridiculous, when was the last time a footballer was killed representing their country against an enemy ? Utterly ridiculous comments from Wrighty. He is very passionate about England and I like the guy a lot but he's been very ill advised on this but hey if it sells ***** papers they are going to print it aren't they !!!

Top posting ESB.

Any let's lighten the tone with a Miguel Herrera sub-thread...

[VINE]MtAMWZ0JdJg[/VINE]

890191edf5d793d89ff575e8c10059ac.gif

[VINE]MtAhnv0TaYA[/VINE]

Bq2G8nZCMAE-LRP.jpg

[VINE]MtAehTABXeb[/VINE]

[VINE]MtAKhvO09pi[/VINE]

There is pride in playing for your country and there's having to spend weeks of your life playing in pointless friendlies etc.

Soldiers take pride in doing what they have to do, I can understand why some players may not take pride in having to turn up to so many pointless games.

Any player not wanting to go to a World Cup is another thing.

There is pride in playing for your country and there's having to spend weeks of your life playing in pointless friendlies etc.

Soldiers take pride in doing what they have to do, I can understand why some players may not take pride in having to turn up to so many pointless games.

Any player not wanting to go to a World Cup is another thing.
How can you call them pointless games ? How else is the manager supposed to assess players ? It's not just about the actual game it's about being part of the squad, interacting with other players, building team spirit and seeing if they fit in with systems etc. employed in training.

So you're suggesting the national manager should just pick 11 in form players and throw a team together a few days before a qualifying match ?

It's weird that ol' Wrighty was published in the Sun when he's blatantly a reactive Mail reader. Whichever way, sometimes you've got to look beyond what's said and see who's saying it. He's hardly equating football with life or death. He's simply thumping the tub and shouting a fairly crass 'do your duty for your country' in his own ill-considered way. If we're going to start demanding the likes of Ian Wright think before they speak, we'll be waiting a long time. He's never going to be the fizziest drink in the fridge.

Stripped down to its bare bones, that Ian Wright piece isn't about football or soldiers. It's The Sun attempting to legitimise Redknapp's fanciful claims from the weekend because he's subsequently been ridiculed and flog papers with outlandish nonsense. It's like when the Star write about lottery winners forced to fellate dogs for Quavers, it's nowhere near true, but that doesn't matter.

Redknapp's mates wheel out their Jester in Chief and attach 400 words to his name in an attempt to stir ill-feeling. It's nonsense. As Pubey says, there's nothing quantitative about passion and so is difficult to prove or disprove either way, which makes it an easy weapon with which to criticise the England squad with. This blame culture - whether it be Beckham's, Rooney's, Ronaldo's, the ref's, Hodgson's, McClaren's or whoever's fault - only prevents us from addressing the key issue here and that's we're not producing youngsters technically gifted enough to win major international tournaments. But that doesn't sell newspapers, so out pops Ian Wright spouting a load of nonsense that will get a rise out of the utterly predictable, soldier-praising, 10 German Bombers in the Air-ing, No Surrender-ing type that get themselves into a right state every time there's an incident that proves England isn't quite what it's cracked up to be.

Link?

If he had compared serving your country as a soldier it would have been sort of acceptable but taking it to the next level and comparing those who have given their lives is ridiculous, when was the last time a footballer was killed representing their country against an enemy ? Utterly ridiculous comments from Wrighty. He is very passionate about England and I like the guy a lot but he's been very ill advised on this but hey if it sells ***** papers they are going to print it aren't they !!!

He's not comparing it so much as holding up the armed forces as an ideal.

Netherlands looking strong but they do have a habit of impressing in the group stages then bottling it in the quarters. Robben on fire and they look solid at the back. This World Cup is wide open.

Netherlands looking strong but they do have a habit of impressing in the group stages then bottling it in the quarters. Robben on fire and they look solid at the back. This World Cup is wide open.
Erm they made the final last time :stunned:

Everything I predicted in this world cup has been wrong but I do fancy Chile against Brazil in the next round

Back