• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

I thought it was a good opener last night. Croatia looked a very strong team (Perisic is some player) and Brazil were lucky with a homer ref and some good finishing from Neymar and Oscar. They might struggle against teams who are strong in attack. Cesar and Luiz didn't play well and their full backs were unusually shaky.

A good set of fixtures tonight, although Spain v Netherlands could potentially be dull. Hopefully they'll try kicking the **** out of each other. Chile vs Australia should be fun.

giphy.gif

MOTM for Brazil was definitely the referee , all of Japan says so too. That was no penalty,and i realise goalkeepers should be afforded some protection, but that Croatin kept his arms down by his side when he went up for the header and was peanlised , ok for the goalkeeper to come out into a players back to catch or punch the ball .Maybe im old fashioned but i reckon if a player keeps his arms down he should be allowed to go up for the ball and challenge the goalkeeper

I thought Brazil looked awful at the back and will really struggle against the top teams if they don't improve.

As for Fred (my top goal scorer bet), I wasn't even sure he was on the pitch most of the time. Can't believe he wasn't the first substituted.

Croatia looked decent enough and but for some poor decision making by the ref (the pen, the challenge on the keeper and the handball by the face) really should have come away with something. They should still get out of the group though

MOTM for Brazil was definitely the referee , all of Japan says so too. That was no penalty,and i realise goalkeepers should be afforded some protection, but that Croatin kept his arms down by his side when he went up for the header and was peanlised , ok for the goalkeeper to come out into a players back to catch or punch the ball .Maybe im old fashioned but i reckon if a player keeps his arms down he should be allowed to go up for the ball and challenge the goalkeeper

What made me laugh was the comment from the Croatia coach. He doesn't blame Fred for diving because that is what players do. He blames the ref for not noticing.

So, if someone breaks into his house and steals all his things does that make it the fault of the police for not noticing? Of course not, you can't blame the referee, he's the victim in this as much as Croatia. If Fred hadn't have dived, then the ref wouldn't have had a decision to make. If football coaches and players actually stopped to think and blame the right person then maybe they'll start to take a bit of responsibility themselves, and referees won't be put in such positions.

That said, IMO Neymar shouldn't have been on the pitch after his forearm smash, and the referee got that one wrong.

Switched channels after the pen.It was obvious the game was then over as a contest.

ps (Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery).:smiles:

You were wrong then. Croatia were still right in up until Oscar's goal. Although the ref probably would have found a way to give Brazil the win no matter what Croatia did.

PS your thread wasn't in the right forum. This one is.

You were wrong then. Croatia were still right in up until Oscar's goal. Although the ref probably would have found a way to give Brazil the win no matter what Croatia did.

The result would seem to indicate I called it right.In any case I wanted to watch Hillary Clinton on Newsnight and QT afterwards.

PS your thread wasn't in the right forum. This one is.

So why did you close it, rather than just transferring it here?

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing Espanyol's Hector Moreno play for Mexico later at CB.

Only trouble is, if he has a good World Cup, somebody will almost certainly bid for him in the summer.

Classy defender.

Last edited:
So why did you close it, rather than just transferring it here?

Yes, Brazil won 3-1, but take it from someone who watched the game, it could easily have been 2-2.

I like QT but the panel could be made up entirely of close friends and I'd still watch the World Cup!

I closed it as the thread had descended in to farce.

Back to the football, I think the slagging the lino is getting for the first disallowed goal in the Mexico game is a little harsh. We're all experts after several instant replays and a line drawn across the pitch.

What a goal. To lob a keeper with a diving head from the edge of the box is just amazing

Brilliant stuff from Holland, Spain have stood still and failed to evolve, Robben & Van Persie could get the dutch to the final again in that form!

Back