• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

seany t

President
Well, a bit late to the party but just finished watching all 7 hours and must say I thought that was a colossal piece of work. Brilliantly acted, stunningly filmed, really funny / sad / gripping / interesting. It probably won't get raved about as much as The Wire or various other HBO shows but it's a blinder.

Brief premise: Based on a book written by a reporter from Rolling Stone magazine who joined one of the first Recon Units to invade Iraq in 2003. He becomes friends, rides up front in the convoy and witnesses 16 missions first hand, from **** ups to heroic acts, poor leadership to brave deeds, the balance between war and humanitarian aid.

TRAILER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrU2RbMhpQ

Been geekily reading up on it tonight as to how accurate it is too. A couple of soldiers actually played out their roles all over again so vouched for it's truth, though one ex-Marine did think the scathing attack on one or two of the Generals was a bit dramatised (though in all fairness, 3 others didn't) in the DVD Documentary.

And this article written by the real General in question is interesting, especially when taken alongside the journalist's lengthy retort in the comments:
http://commentaryongenerationkill.blogspot.com/

Anyhow... watch it if you haven't. Especially as so many of you love Modern Warfare and The Hurt Locker. I only wish they'd make more...

(Best fact I learned tonight about it? That the main guy (also in 'True blood') is Swedish and has a very thick accent in real life apparently...)

It's absolutely amazing. The book is fantastic too

Yeah I think I'll have to track it down.

Not often I get blown away by a TV Programme but this is so brilliant from start to finish.

It's interesting in 'the making of documentary' that they seemed to film it in sequence too, meaning the guys got to know each other more as it went on and grew increasingly tired. 7 months it take to make. On location. They had to do a boot camp too including night missions!

Fruity Rudy!!
lets-talk-rudy-reyes-of-generation-kill.jpg

One of the actual Marines to star in the film.

Read the book first... as it's always better to read first i feel, let's you picture it yourself! But the series was pretty gripping stuff... good efforts all round.

Absolutely brilliant mini series, I haven't got round to reading the book yet but really want to. I agree about Frick, he was my favourite character in it, although the guys that randomly sing are pretty funny.

One of my favourite scenes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqEF49IsenU

Stay Frosty.

That's a great scene. I caught that scene on Channel 4 and it's what made me go out and buy it.

Watched the first episode last night. You can definitely tell its written by The Wire guys, think I'm going to like this!

Watched the first episode last night. You can definitely tell its written by The Wire guys, think I'm going to like this!

Good work.

The other weird thing about the show is that I feel like I have a far better understanding of the complexities and difficulties of war now, as opposed to the 'goodies vs baddies' of yesteryear's portrayals.

So when I see a news report about Afghanistan, I 'feel' like I have a slightly better understanding of how hard it must be conducting an operation of that type...

Good work.

The other weird thing about the show is that I feel like I have a far better understanding of the complexities and difficulties of war now, as opposed to the 'goodies vs baddies' of yesteryear's portrayals.

So when I see a news report about Afghanistan, I 'feel' like I have a slightly better understanding of how hard it must be conducting an operation of that type...

Read D-Day by Stephen E Ambrose!! The orginsation that went into that is truly mind blowing!

Last edited:
Back