• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Reading a few other threads there has been debate about if Barrett was a true Southend fan etc.

We all know Barrett supports West Ham and Tilly's first love was Leeds.

Does anyone know or recall a player who was a genuine regular Southend fan who ended up playing for the club rather than someone that just came along for a big game once.

I can only think of Lucky Luca.

I used to play with Michael Kightly for a while at Basildon United....(Season before he played for Blues first team) and I actually watched Southend games with him. He was a Tottenham fan but supported Southend aswell

I used to play with Michael Kightly for a while at Basildon United....(Season before he played for Blues first team) and I actually watched Southend games with him. He was a Tottenham fan but supported Southend aswell

I think that's the case with Barrett & Tilly too. As kids they had other Clubs but they were also followers of their local team.

I think that's the case with Barrett & Tilly too. As kids they had other Clubs but they were also followers of their local team.

Yep. It's likely that any young lad playing football in the Southend area has probably been to RH at least a couple of times.

Yep. It's likely that any young lad playing football in the Southend area has probably been to RH at least a couple of times.

Probably as a ball-boy.

Most kids who were good enough to make it as a pro will have spent their Saturday afternoons playing rather than watching.

That's one of the reasons why players have a very different perspective to fans (at least fans who actually attend home and away).

This may change in the future as the FA seem to be cutting down on the amount of games being played at youth level.

I think the question is , even if you were born in Southend and were any good as a player..why would you stay here if you had a better opportunity elsewhere...Many players have loved this club at the time of being here.

Way, way before my time, but Peter Taylor was born and raised in Southend before moving on, and before the modern way of supporting big teams who you can watch on telly every week, I would guess he was a Southend fan.

Good shout with Spud, John - he's still a Shrimpers fan, isn't he?

I'm afraid I don't know for sure, but he certainly seems to know a lot about us whenever I've seen him quoted (more so than the average L2 manager would). Once a blue, always a blue, surely? :winking:

My Dad was born in Great Wakering and would always go on about Les Stubbs a Wakering lad who went on to Play for the Blues, then a big money transfer to Chelsea where according to the programme he was always known as "our Les" and returned to the club to end his career.

DoDtS

My Dad was born in Great Wakering and would always go on about Les Stubbs a Wakering lad who went on to Play for the Blues, then a big money transfer to Chelsea where according to the programme he was always known as "our Les" and returned to the club to end his career.

DoDtS

Good call about Les Stubbs.

I'm surprised that Paul Clark hasn't got a mention, I used to work with his cousin (who was a Spammer) and he reckoned that Paul was a Southend supporter before he joined the club.

Didn't John White say that he was from a family of Southend fans when he came on loan from Col U last year?

Back