• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Herne Bay shrimper

Youth Team
Evening all,

A colleague at work mentioned a few photos he had of his time in the 1980s - including a few shots of our beloved Roots Hall - and admittedly it was before my time (and before I was born), but I think a few might be interested to see the shots - these are the ones of Besty playing, but can anyone tell us any more about the game? He couldn't remember a thing, and as it was 2 years before I was born, I certainly don't remember!

gbestkick.jpggbestwarmup.jpg

The game was against Bournemouth and all I really recall is a somewhat portly Best attempting to score from the kick-off. It was the latest and last of his comebacks, I believe. Although he also made a brief comeback with Hibernian whuch may have been just before or after the Bournemouth one.

Nope it was a league match v Bournemouth and it was the same day as the League Cup Final. Some fans were shouting the Cup Final score to Best during the match as it was Man United v (I cant remember!).

The season was 1982/3 score was 0-0 and George Best's appearance boosted the crowd to 4,275 If I remember free silk scarves were given out to fans.

Great photos they are.

St George's Tavern advert behind him seems very apt.

Nope it was a league match v Bournemouth and it was the same day as the League Cup Final. Some fans were shouting the Cup Final score to Best during the match as it was Man United v (I cant remember!).

The score was 0-0 and George Best's appearance boosted the crowd to 4,275 If I remember free silk scarves were given out to fans.

Ah, I stand corrected.

Am I mixing this story with another one about another star who did play in the reserves at Roots Hall as part of a comeback?

Ah, I stand corrected.

Am I mixing this story with another one about another star who did play in the reserves at Roots Hall as part of a comeback?
Yep probably.

Just looked it wasn't the League Cup final that day, it was FA Cup Semi Final Man United v Arsenal. Youngsters these days wouldn't believe that big games in those days were not live on TV

The Southend players in the background look like Mickey Stead (2), Steve Phillips (8) & Tony Hadley not sure who is in the tracksuit it may be Glenn Pennyfather?

There might be some fans that recognise themselves as well? I was in the South Bank that day probably not far from whoever took the photos.

Has he got anymore photos?

You've certainly come to the right place,Some people on here have amazing memories.
I however am not one! Never seen them pictures only one of him playing in a friendly for Fulham IIRC.
I do know He lived in the town for a short while (Stornoway Rd, I believe) not sure exactly when.

Ah, I stand corrected.

I seem to remember a very long time ago Rodney Marsh making a come back from injury and playing in a QPR reserve team at Roots Hall. I think QPR brought about 3000 with them for the occasion. I cant remember the score or the year but would guess late sixties or early seventies.

Well that's made me feel very old and a bit fed up.:cricko:

I'm pretty sure that I saw that match v Bournemouth, but my mind may be playing tricks.

I do remember going to Swindon's County Ground in the late 70s while visiting a friend and watching Swindon play Fulham. The Fulham team included George Best, Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh and Alan Mullery. They don't make teams like that anymore!!

Remember it well , George was turning Micky Stead inside out when he got the ball , I think that George boosted the gate by about 50 people not like the old Days when he would add 10,000 to any gate .

I seem to remember a very long time ago Rodney Marsh making a come back from injury and playing in a QPR reserve team at Roots Hall. I think QPR brought about 3000 with them for the occasion. I cant remember the score or the year but would guess late sixties or early seventies.

Well that's made me feel very old and a bit fed up.:cricko:

Rodnee Rodnee Rodnee .

This is where I miss Harry, he'd have had crystal clear memories of all this!

A fascinating bit of our club's history - he had a few other shots of the game, including some shots of a very unfamiliar (to me) South Bank - I'll get them from him tomorrow and put them up!

^
Great stuff.

Love old shots of the South Bank in all it's glory.

Do miss those days of standing right at the top there watching the games.

I was one of the 4,275! I extended my Easter hol from my final Uni year at Plymouth just to see it. The only thing I remember about the game was it was cack.

I also recall seeing Bobby Charlton play for PNE at Roots when he was their player manager - Sir Bob's presence did put about 4,000 on that gate. Stuart Brace scored for us (prob from his customary two foot out). Happy days.

I also recall seeing Bobby Charlton play for PNE at Roots when he was their player manager - Sir Bob's presence did put about 4,000 on that gate. Stuart Brace scored for us (prob from his customary two foot out). Happy days.
I was there that day.

1974-75 season, IIRC. I've still got the programme with the football boot in the top left hand corner.

Back