• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Peter fell out with the then manager Dave Smith because he was playing in America , never really played in the Southend team after that .

Just looked it up. Whilst with us, he played in the summer break for Baltimore Comets twice, San Diego Jaws and Vancouver Whitecaps. No wonder he fell out with Dave Smith.

Just looked it up. Whilst with us, he played in the summer break for Baltimore Comets twice, San Diego Jaws and Vancouver Whitecaps. No wonder he fell out with Dave Smith.

His last full season here , Peter and Stuart Parker had knocked up nearly 40 goals between them , and we were relegated that season .

When you look at the record books the season that he fell out with Peter , Southend scored only 52 goals , perhaps a bad mistake by Dave Smith .

Courtesy of our friends at Wikipedia, Best's entire career, he did get about a bit!

Youth career
1961–1963Manchester United
Senior career*
YearsTeamApps[SUP][/SUP](Gls)[SUP][/SUP]
1963–1974Manchester United361(137)
1974Jewish Guild (loan)5(1)
1974Dunstable Town (loan)0(0)
1975Stockport County3(2)
1975–1976Cork Celtic3(0)
1976Los Angeles Aztecs23(15)
1976–1977Fulham42(8)
1977–1978Los Angeles Aztecs32(12)
1978–1979Fort Lauderdale Strikers28(6)
1979–1980Hibernian17(3)
1980–1981San Jose Earthquakes56(21)
1980–1982San Jose Earthquakes (indoor)21(33)
1982Sea Bee2(0)
1982Hong Kong Rangers1(0)
1983Bournemouth5(0)
1983Brisbane Lions4(0)
1983Osborne Park Galeb1(1)
1983Nuneaton Borough0(0)
1984Tobermore United0(0)
Total604(239)
National team
1964–1977Northern Ireland37(9

Never saw him play for Fulham,but did for the other 3 English league clubs: Manure,Bournemouth and in one of his 3 games for Stockport, a Boxing Day derby v Southport- he failed to get past the ginger-haired left-back ,Eric Snookes.

Peter Silvester.
He had a good goals ratio with us. I remember him going on loan in the summer a few times whilst with us, to play in the American League, which was very poor in those days with small crowds. They weren't into football(Soccer) in those days.
I always felt it left him knackered as he had no summer break from playing.

Yep, of course, the Silvester.

Always rated him highly.

Good striking partnership with Stuart Parker in 1975-76.

Remember being there when he bagged all four against Brighton & HA. :happy:

I was thinking that was an odd-looking Southend team on the programme but then remembered that programmes were printed a day or two before the match so I always took a pen to the match with me to change the names to who was actually playing. Players didn't have squad numbers in those days, of course, so printing the whole squad list, like they do in modern programmes, wasn't possible. I would guess that Alan Moody would have partnered Neil Townsend at centre back. Does anyone know what our actual team was for that match?

Actual team was :-

Webster
Dyer
Worthington (R)
Taylor
Townsend
Moody
Love
Brace
Guthrie
Ford
Silvester

Result : Won 4-1 (Silvester 2, Brace, Guthrie)
Att : 8,295

Actual team was :-

Webster
Dyer
Worthington (R)
Taylor
Townsend
Moody
Love
Brace
Guthrie
Ford
Silvester

Result : Won 4-1 (Silvester 2, Brace, Guthrie)
Att : 8,295

Thanks for answering my question.

Ah, those were the days! Three strikers playing and they all scored. We could do with a bit of that now! An interesting midfield three of Ford, Love and Taylor, too.

Yep, very positive away from home and it worked.

Don't remember anything about Alastair Love, but the others are all names I grew up watching. :thumbsup:

Yep, very positive away from home and it worked.

Don't remember anything about Alastair Love, but the others are all names I grew up watching. :thumbsup:

We signed Alastair from West Brom , he went to Newport County with Dave Elliot when Dave became player manager .

Thanks for answering my question.

Ah, those were the days! Three strikers playing and they all scored. We could do with a bit of that now! An interesting midfield three of Ford, Love and Taylor, too.
Tony Taylor never really lived up to his big money fee .

We signed Alastair from West Brom , he went to Newport County with Dave Elliot when Dave became player manager .

Many thanks.

Didn't look like he played very much for us. Around 7 or 8 games in total.

Back