• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gerrard set to retire?

mrsblue

Banned
News conference today at 5pm !

For his club at times he was awesome and even when average he drove them on so IMO a very good club player!,Sadly whenever he pulled on the England jersey he was mainly average with the odd good game thrown in,This tournament was Defo one too many for him as Roy's tactics left him far too exposed.If it is the end of his international career it will be the only decent thing he did in the last 2 weeks.

Never thought he was a great leader should never have been made captain in my view .Just lately he has made far to many mistakes to be of any use to the england set up . Retirement from the international game may well be for the good of the national set up .And I can think of one or two more names that should be got rid of.

Never thought he was a great leader should never have been made captain in my view .Just lately he has made far to many mistakes to be of any use to the england set up . Retirement from the international game may well be for the good of the national set up .And I can think of one or two more names that should be got rid of.

Johnson,Jag,Welbeck,Baines and Henderson should all go as they are not international quality against the better teams,Sure they can bully the likes of San Marino but it requires a clear out of the deadwood and hopefully we can push on?

Johnson,Jag,Welbeck,Baines and Henderson should all go as they are not international quality against the better teams,Sure they can bully the likes of San Marino but it requires a clear out of the deadwood and hopefully we can push on?

Disagree on Baines and Henderson but I would also like to see Luke Shaw given game time.

Henderson is Liverpool's unsung hero, it's no coincidence their season collapsed during his 3 match suspension, dropping him would be a big mistake. Baines is the best we have got, Shaw will likely replace him in a couple of years but who else is going to play LB? Cole will be past it in a couple of years. Welbeck I agree should be dropped, Johnson has won me over slightly as he looked like one of the only bright spots in the Uruguay match. Jagielka again isn't great but there is noone better, we have few decent CBs in the country.

The fact is we can name plently of players that aren't international quality but this isn't club football, England can't decide certain players are rubbish and then go into the transfer market to find replacements, many of these players are the best we have got, so we have to work with it.

News conference today at 5pm !

For his club at times he was awesome and even when average he drove them on so IMO a very good club player!,Sadly whenever he pulled on the England jersey he was mainly average with the odd good game thrown in,This tournament was Defo one too many for him as Roy's tactics left him far too exposed.If it is the end of his international career it will be the only decent thing he did in the last 2 weeks.

Whilst I agree it's probably time he hung up his international boots, the issue is replacing him. The deep lying central midfield position isn't one we are blessed with, and by dropping Henderson, who I actually think has come on in leaps and bounds this season and as Southendkid mentioned, was integral to Liverpool's title push; you'd have us looking for two new CM's. England just don't have anyone to step into those positions. I know you mentioned huddlestone and Shelvey earlier in the season, but considering the **** fits you've had when narrowly losing to top ten ranked teams, and when we beat the likes of Moldova 4-0, I fear your head would actually explode if we started fielding those two as our central midfield pairing. And then who would I argue with?

The same goes with Johnson, Jagielka and Baines. They are all good Premiership players, but I agree, not really top international pedigree. But who are their natural replacements? Shaw will eventually make the left side his own, but he's still a kid with only a handful of appearances to his name. Central defence is worryingly threadbare in the Enghlish pool, and right back all you really have is Walker, who is barely a step up from Johnson.

Wellbeck you do a disservice, he wins and retains possession in the opposition half more than any other attacking players, he makes intelligant runs, and creates chances for those around him.

It's very easy to pick out players and criticise them, but remember you have to find players of a better quality to put in there first, and that we just don't have at the moment, otherwise chances are they'd already be playing.

Back