• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Get a free council house for coming off benefits

This was mentioned in The Times, although the link provided by Cricko is slightly off kilter in the way its reporting.

The background to this is to try and help people on benefits who are trapped due to high rents etc get on the housing ladder and non dependent on the state (there are various 'industry experts' promoting a total revamp and review on social housing, with some going as far as to want to get rid of social housing altogether and only provide emergency accommodation).
FWIW I don't think this is the solution.

I guess the question we need to ask ourselves is social housing a right or a means to getting back on our feet and only a temporary solution?

This was mentioned in The Times, although the link provided by Cricko is slightly off kilter in the way its reporting.

The background to this is to try and help people on benefits who are trapped due to high rents etc get on the housing ladder and non dependent on the state (there are various 'industry experts' promoting a total revamp and review on social housing, with some going as far as to want to get rid of social housing altogether and only provide emergency accommodation).
FWIW I don't think this is the solution.

I guess the question we need to ask ourselves is social housing a right or a means to getting back on our feet and only a temporary solution?

What happens to those are at the bottom of the ladder and for whatever reason are just totally unemployable..It is bad enough those that are in power and rich have little idea about those who suffer...But what would happen next if all social housing was gone. **** me this world is so into capitalism now it beggars belief.

What happens to those are at the bottom of the ladder and for whatever reason are just totally unemployable..It is bad enough those that are in power and rich have little idea about those who suffer...But what would happen next if all social housing was gone>

It's a good question, there will always be an element of society who will not be able to contribute...that's a fact.
Most social housing is already moving into in the hands of third party providers, and it is these providers who in theory will take up the slack and look after the elderly / infirm etc.

It's a good question, there will always be an element of society who will not be able to contribute...that's a fact.
Most social housing is already moving into in the hands of third party providers, and it is these providers who in theory will take up the slack and look after the elderly / infirm etc.

For a profit,, and those who cannot afford it..oh maybe the government might have to step in or they will be on the streets..

It is so backward thinking we might as well be a third world country sticking those that cannot contribute on a rubbish dump or maybe kill them off as IDS seems to be in favour of these days.

If he had his way we would have suicide booths on every street corner like slot machines. Pick your choice of ending it all.

For a profit,, and those who cannot afford it..oh maybe the government might have to step in or they will be on the streets..

It is so backward thinking we might as well be a third world country sticking those that cannot contribute on a rubbish dump or maybe kill them off as IDS seems to be in favour of these days.

If he had his way we would have suicide booths on every street corner like slot machines. Pick your choice of ending it all.

Just to be clear I am not advocating an end to social housing, however there are those that are and not without reason.

http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/...e-then-get-rid-of-social-housing/6356.article

Rather like the NHS we need to have the debate.

And meantime people like my son, who has now worked for 6 months on a 20 hour p/w contract, don't stand an earthly of buying their own home. Those on zero hour contracts have even less hope.

It doesn’t go into great detail but it can only be a lottery surely? One which will alienate more people than it gets on board as well I’d wager. Rewarding a house to people because they come off of benefits is ridiculous, when many work hard on the breadline claiming nothing and get nothing for their efforts. I think anyone in full time employment, claiming no benefits, struggling to get on the housing ladder will be disillusioned by this.

Just to be clear I am not advocating an end to social housing, however there are those that are and not without reason.

http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/...e-then-get-rid-of-social-housing/6356.article

Rather like the NHS we need to have the debate.

Apparently according to The Torygraph and UKIP (Yawn) it would take a house to be built every 7 minutes to cover immigration alone. We have always needed social housing for those that just don't fit into "the big society", but that is just half the problem. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-new-house-every-seven-minutes-says-Ukip.html

I am with Kay on this 100% . My son works up to 7 days a week, his partner works,my grandson is coming up to 3 now. They have no chance whatsoever of buying their own house. Living and trying to save up a deposit is just impossible for them. It is bad enough rents have gone through the roof and it is unfair on the younger people. Those on the ridiculous Zero hour bollocks, well they have no future until the government ban it.

Selling off the council bank of houses to those that are sitting on their asses is totally wrong IMO.. If Thatcher had invested the Millions the government reaped in on new social housing (which was wrong from day 1) that would of been great, but of course that never happened it just went into the coffers.

Apparently according to The Torygraph and UKIP (Yawn) it would take a house to be built every 7 minutes to cover immigration alone. We have always needed social housing for those that just don't fit into "the big society", but that is just half the problem. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-new-house-every-seven-minutes-says-Ukip.html

I would say those figures sadly are fairly accurate.

I am with Kay on this 100% . My son works up to 7 days a week, his partner works,my grandson is coming up to 3 now. They have no chance whatsoever of buying their own house. Living and trying to save up a deposit is just impossible for them. It is bad enough rents have gone through the roof and it is unfair on the younger people. Those on the ridiculous Zero hour bollocks, well they have no future until the government ban it.

Selling off the council bank of houses to those that are sitting on their asses is totally wrong IMO.. If Thatcher had invested the Millions the government reaped in on new social housing (which was wrong from day 1) that would of been great, but of course that never happened it just went into the coffers.

I am currently doing some some work for a social housing project, where around 30 - 40 per cent of applications for housing are from people recently settled in the UK.

All of the 30 per cent currently receive high priority banding as they are technically homeless, and of course this does give the applicant a head start over someone like yours or Kays son or anyone else that is sitting in the system but hasn't moved up in terms of priority banding (ie they need housing but aren't homeless).

However this is only part of the problem.

I have a relative who is single and retired that lives in a 3 bed council house, clearly she doesn't need 3 bedrooms but has a life tenancy...again unfair on young families who would need that size of accommodation.

That's before we look at housing stock available, and I know of instances where Councils have bought back homes that were purchased by tenants under the right to buy scheme!

There simply isn't enough stock, so I guess that drives rents up and makes housing per se unaffordable for many putting additional pressure on social housing.

Land Banking is another issue where there are many builders / developers sitting on land but not building despite having consent to do so.

Some interesting stats as follows (will see if I can find some more up to date ones);

In 2012/13 England had one of the lowest house building rates since 1923 – there were just 108,190 completions.

Affordability has plummeted – in the last 40 years the average house price to salary ratio has almost doubled; the price of the average home purchased is now almost 7x the average annual salary of the buyer.

First time buyers are at record lows. Eight out of ten first-time buyers require financial help from family or friends, and the average age of unassisted first-time buyers has soared.

Close to a fifth of women and a third of men aged between 20 and 34 are still living at home.

Social Housing Waiting Lists have almost doubled in the last 10 years to 1.85 million households; around 5 million people are waiting for a home.

76,000 children live in temporary accommodation and 250,000 families in social housing are in over-crowded accommodation.

So yes a house build every 7 minutes is about right.

Back