• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ghosts - are you a believer?

Are you a believer?

• Total voters

Desert Shrimper

The Oil Baron
Last night I watched the Channel 4 documentary "Interview with a Poltergeist" which sparked off a bit of debate in the office this morning. I believe I saw a ghost aged about 5 in the semi-detached house in Leigh we lived in back then. It was there for several minutes going in and out of a room on the landing while I lay in bed paralysed with fear. On it's own you'd assume this to be the product of my tiny mind but for the fact that the house we were "attached" to was exorcised by the local vicar at around the same time following some strange goings on. Anyway, my question is this:

Do you believe in ghosts/the paranormal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe ghosts are sentient dead people floating about, but possibly some sort of "recordings" of traumatic events that get played out when the circumstances are right.

It's always murders, headless corpses etc...no Aunt Bessie who died peacefully in her sleep at the ripe old age of 110.

I saw the programme as well last night and I'm very sceptical. Only a few people saw anything, there was no firm proof

Dont be mental.

Ghosts dont exist, it doesnt make sense.

People who beleive in ghosts will seem them, people like me who dont will never see them.

An example of how things work, my dog died a few years back and the week later I turned around and for the life of me thought I saw him in his normal spot. A believer would put that down to being a ghost, however as a non-believer I know it was just a trick of the mind, seeing something I expected to see there...

Dont be mental.

Ghosts dont exist, it doesnt make sense.

People who beleive in ghosts will seem them, people like me who dont will never see them.

An example of how things work, my dog died a few years back and the week later I turned around and for the life of me thought I saw him in his normal spot. A believer would put that down to being a ghost, however as a non-believer I know it was just a trick of the mind, seeing something I expected to see there...

Agreed, it doesn't make any rational sense. I've always thought that heaven, the afterlife etc are all part of man's arrogance and self-obsession. We assume that all these amazing things happen to us when we pass away while everything else, plants, animals etc just die and that's it...and all because we have a cerebral cortex. What makes us so special? I would have thought of ghosts in the same way were it not for what I saw with my own eyes but that doesn't mean I expect to persuade anyone. Have to say though it's not like at 5 I could have understood what I was seeing and I didn't find out until years later about the events and "exorcism" taking place at the same time next door.

I can't get my head round the thinking that they do exist, but then again what happens to your spirit when you die?!

I've heard far too many stories to completely dismiss the belief that ghosts exist.

If anyone's in Chelmsford, go along to the Gap shop on the High Street and ask the staff about the flat upstairs.

When that was a Halfords it was more haunted than Derek Acora's attic. I saw, heard and smelt some very, very strange things in that building.

I can't get my head round the thinking that they do exist, but then again what happens to your spirit when you die?!

I've heard far too many stories to completely dismiss the belief that ghosts exist.

Nothing.

You live you die.

Theres no such thing as a spirit, all you are is a biological organism with memories and thoughts created by electrical pulses and scarring of the brain. When you die that all just stops working.

I know of millions who believe in Santa Claus, doesnt mean he exists though.

What really annoys me is Psychics. I know plenty of girls who go to that guy i Leigh and he has an influence on their lives by what he tells them. As an atheist and non believer I know he has no way of talking to dead people so by default he is making up stuff and people are using what he tells them to make decisions.

I was at a dinner party with a so-called "psychic" who read my mate's tarot cards and cooly instructed him he was going to get dementia....fcuking ****.

The ****sole "read" mind and came up with the magic that I'd been previously married (I haven't)....but oh, I'm so closed off making it hard work for the psychic pixies....bolleaux.

Last edited:
I was at a dinner party with a so-called "psychic" who read my mate's tarot cards and cooly instructed him he was going to get dementia....fcuking ****.

The ****sole "read" mind and came up with the magic that I'd been previously married (I haven't)....but oh, I'm so closed off making hard for the psychic pixies....bolleaux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi

The ****sole "read" mind and came up with the magic that I'd been previously married (I haven't)....but oh, I'm so closed off making hard for the psychic pixies....bolleaux.

My brothers girlfriend told her he would die in a motorcylce accident at 19.

He was totally wrong though, he got hit by a bus!

(Sick Joke, he is still alive and kicking at 35 despite riding motorcycles for about 10 years)

i don''t believe in the physic people, but my sister did go to one a few years back and the lady did say a few fings that no one else would have known, you can they guessed but they knew too much just to guess. i listened to it all on tape and was really freaky some of the stuff she was coming out with. can someone really guess all of that without any info given to her?

They have plenty of tricks to make it appear they know more than they do.

I used to watch Derek Accora's studio show as it was so hilarious to see him just wildly guessing. Credit to the producers of the show, they didnt just edit out his gaffes.

"Does anyone know a Simon out there, Stuart ? Steve ? Sid ? Oh you know a Bill do you madam yes thats it."

Back