• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gibson Vs Fender

Fender Stratocaster vs the Gibson Les Paul.

Pick your fave.

I've owned a strat and loved its versatility, its feel, its calmness and subtlelty, but never really felt it could be an aggressive guitar.
I've played Les Paul copies and found them touchy, agressive and made for cranking up. I found them crap for being gentle with. I also don't like their shape.

I go with a Strat due to its versatility despite its lack of real hardcore rocking out ability

I have an original 1962 Fender Strat and wouldn't swap it for any other guitar in the world. That said, I do like the Les Paul and for certain sounds you can't beat it but you're right - it's nowhere near as versatile.

Gibson. It's built for Marshall stack systems.
Fender. Plinky plonkey, jazzy.
Gibson. It's played by hooligans and geezers.
fender. Played by jocks and boffins.

(Am I getting the Fender players backs up yet
biggrin.gif
 )

Gibson. You have to bang your head.
Fender. Tap your feet.
Gibson. Devil signs in the air.
Fender. click your fingers.
Gibson. AC/DC. Sex Pistols.
Fender. Dire Straits.... ermmmm and ...ok Hendrix.

I did have a Strat. I didn't like the neck on it.
The Harmonics on Fender were better.
The Power chords on Gibsons were like Tyson in his heyday.

I play punk and rock.
Gibson.

All I've ever been able to afford is to pick them up in shops. After this quick comparison, I think the Gibson edged it. Then they told me to put it down.

sad.gif

I'm more of an acoustic man really although I can't deny how much fun you can have thrashing an electric every once in a while.

biggrin.gif

Likewise, Prem. I'll plump for an acoustic.

I'm never happier than when I'm performing my unique acoustic interpretation of Echo Beach by Martha & The Muffins.

As opposed to the people watching, of course, who are never happy when I'm performing my unique acoustic interpretation of Echo Beach by Martha & The Muffins.

Right, just to even things up a bit here, this is my own list of Strat legends...

Jimi Hendrix
David Gilmour
Richie Blackmore
Dave Murray
Robbie Robertson
Bob Dylan
Richard Thompson
George Harrison
John Lennon (despite famously playing Rickenbackers, The Beatles swtiched to Strats for studio work from "Rubber Soul" onwards)

So it's not all limp-wristed, foot tapping jazz strollers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ May 30 2006,16:02)]So it's not all limp-wristed, foot tapping jazz strollers.
biggrin.gif
 Sorry shouldn't have said jazz.  
biggrin.gif

Here's an interesting overview from the very good wikipedia;-

Fender or Gibson

though I am a hypocrit here as I sold my Gibson ( For Financial reasons) and now play a charvel jackson, which is a bit like a Fender and sounds a bit like a Gibson. Like the Floyd Rose tremolo for Bombing solos and it still plays a meaty riff with some active humbuckers.

I also love my acoustic a Washburn Birds Eye Woodstock. Quite rare, I picked it up from Loot when i was skint. but i Had to have it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ May 31 2006,01:58)]Anyone owned a Flying V?
Nope, but I get the drift. I once loaned for a month a BC Rich guitar;-
PlatinumBichBlack.gif

Meaty thing it was, but i never could play it with confidence. I always felt as though I should be wearing spandex. As the band started a song I imagined I should strike a power chord and emerge from a Spinal Tap type Cacoon punching my fist in the air, wearing an armadillo down my pants.
Needless to say it went back to the shop after the hire period with no chance of me buying it.

A guitar I have fond affection for was one of my first. A Les Paul Copy but fitted with Di Marzio pickups. Never had a guitar able to produce feedback on cue like it. However, one drunken gig at the Longhouse Dagenham and I decided to do a Pete Townsend. I have the smashed up remains framed as a testament to Rock n roll.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ May 31 2006,10:03)]A guitar I have fond affection for was one of my first. A Les Paul Copy but fitted with Di Marzio pickups. Never had a guitar able to produce feedback on cue like it. However, one drunken gig at the Longhouse Dagenham and I decided to do a Pete Townsend. I have the smashed up remains framed as a testament to Rock n roll.
That's a good point about Les Pauls - you're about the 3rd or 4th person who I've heard say they had a great Les Paul copy. I even had one myself once and, like you, had decent pick-ups fitted and it played great. You honestly can't say the same thing about the Strat - every cheap copy I've ever played is like driving an 80s Skoda when you're used to a new Merc.

I'd seriously love that BC Rich though - I'd have hours of fun pretending I was in Slayer circa. 1987 with that \m/
ghostface.gif

My 1971 Les Paul Black Beauty is the b******s! Alnico and p90 can beat a strat (Girl's guitar - light and weedy pick-ups) any time.

Those about to rock - I salute You!

Back