• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Giggs' Award Is Worth Sweet PFA

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
I despair at the PFA Awards, I really do. If it's not bad enough that they demand that all the votes are counted months before the end of the season, they go and let the footballers decide who wins. Everyone knows that's asking for trouble. Most footballers hate watching football, as much as most accountants would hate to go home at the end of the day and watch a documentary on accounting. There are some, like Jamie Carragher for example, who are natural fans, but the majority would rather take their mind off it with something else. And who can blame them?

Ryan Giggs' victory on Sunday night made a mockery of the whole idea of annual awards. Make no mistake, Giggs has been one of the best players in the world for over fifteen years and he's been a superb role model throughout his career. He's one of the good guys and there won't be anyone in football who will resent him a bit of personal glory. But best player of the season? Do me a favour. Give him the lifetime achievement award, sing 'for he's a jolly good fellow', let it go. This season Giggs has started 12 of Manchester United's 33 games. He has scored a single goal. That's considerably less of a contribution than Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher but did anyone see their names on the list?

If you're going to have a Player of the Year, then the first thing to do is to count the votes at the end of the season, or at least within a few weeks of the end. With SMS and email as available mediums, does it really have to take so long? Giggs had a splendid purple patch over January and February when the slips went out. That is when he scored his only goal of the season, after all. Coincidence? Why not call it the PFA Player of the Winter and be done with it?

And then you have the bewildering concept of an electorate voting for things they have barely witnessed. Remember that it's not just the Premier League players who have their say. It's the entire football league. Southend United players, who play two games a week at the same time as the big teams, are just as enfranchised. Unless their TIVO is on overdrive, how do they know what's been going on in the EPL? When they're asked to pick their best player of the season, they pick the big names. They pick the ones their mates are choosing. A couple of years ago, Steven Gerrard made the shortlist in a season when he wasn't even in the top three performers at Anfield. Poor old Steve Finnan, who had the campaign of a lifetime, must have been devastated but then no-one notices the fullbacks on the highlights shows, do they?

Congratulations to Ryan Giggs. This award was quite clearly a sentimental vote to a magnificent professional and on those grounds, you can't argue that he deserves it. But can we have a proper vote for the actual Player of the Year now?

Most footballers hate watching football, as much as most accountants would hate to go home at the end of the day and watch a documentary on accounting. There are some, like Jamie Carragher for example, who are natural fans, but the majority would rather take their mind off it with something else. And who can blame them?
Quite surprised listening to Jason Roberts who was punditing for the Blackburn v Wigan game yesterday. Well spoken, articulate and clearly loves his football. Always refereshing to see from a Premier League player.

Quite surprised listening to Jason Roberts who was punditing for the Blackburn v Wigan game yesterday. Well spoken, articulate and clearly loves his football. Always refereshing to see from a Premier League player.

Yes, I like him. He's very nice and very honest. One of the few....

Unlike the awful Craig Burley, whom I heard on Setanta the other week. He said something like 'I don't like this ref.....Actually to be honest I don't like any refs'. Insightful and also helping to advance the respect campaign....?!!

Sample responses from the Singaporean forums:

"Can I just say how disgusted I am with Iain Macintosh?"

"More anti-Utd bias from Macintosh"

"Ian Macintosh is ****. Simple as that"

I think that last one is from my mum.

Slip, why don't you write an article entitled "Why I hate Manchester United and all they stand for", that should make for some interesting responses :)

Slip, why don't you write an article entitled "Why I hate Manchester United and all they stand for", that should make for some interesting responses :)

Or perhaps one of these:

"Manchester United fans - do they really think that choosing the team at the top of the table makes them immune from criticism?"

"Football fans - does the sense of humour leave as the success arrives?"

"Manchester United fans - bias goes two ways you know..."

Sample responses from the Singaporean forums:

"Can I just say how disgusted I am with Iain Macintosh?"

"More anti-Utd bias from Macintosh"

"Ian Macintosh is ****. Simple as that"

I think that last one is from my mum.

Slips ,

can you post a link to these forums, let us loose on a few of these fools......

Nah, leave 'em to it! There's no such thing as bad publicity!

In all seriousness, any kind of response will only inflame the situation, unfortunately. If people want to believe that I'm biased then that's entirely down to them. The sad thing is that I actually quite like watching United!

The sad thing is that I actually quite like watching United!

And to be fair who wouldn't? They play some great football and have an array of cracking players. With them, the game is never over until the final whistle.

Most importantly, Southend United own them.

Back