• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am starting to book gigs for 2018. Yes in March and King Crimson in October.

I would love to see The The but missed out on tickets. I have registered on the Twickets site hoping that one will be come available between now and June. Two were posted up yesterday evening, but was sold in just a few minutes.

I would love to see The The but missed out on tickets. I have registered on the Twickets site hoping that one will be come available between now and June. Two were posted up yesterday evening, but was sold in just a few minutes.

Yes me too - Jon Boden and the Remnant Kings in May, Sidmouth Folk Festival at the beginning of August and Cornwall Folk Festival at the end of August

Orbital feel like family.
Billy Bragg feels like family. That makes more sense, when bumping into him last Friday in Tooting we have things in common so could chat. He feels familiar and feels like family. Orbital do too, which is strange because there are no vocals (except samples) and no talking, but that familiarity of the sound and aura makes them feel like family.

The crowd too - everyone is happy and together. I was in a group of 6 that I'd pulled together but mostly didn't know each other and everyone had common ground. And I got chatting to a nurse who introduced me to her friend - the person who invented Shazam! All around were happy people.

Shepherds Bush Empire - a memorial / celebration of the life of sound engineer Rickey Ricketts.

Bluetones acoustic was nice enough and they finished on 'Slight Return' as you'd expect.

Red Snapper were great - jazzy post-punk, innovative and confident - sax in that set up is always a winner but pretty quickly you wonder why every band doesn't have a double bass.

Freestylers have a great energy, a big sound - and breakdancers! Fun times!

Labyrinth played piano and sang nice tunes. Not really my thing but I recognise his craft. Then Orbital. On a raised stage so you looked up into their tiny lights. They rack up euphoric tune after tune, ******* everyone into one mass of smiles and flailing arms. Love em.

Rudimental and Groove Armada DJ sets followed but I skipped them so I was home just after 1am so I was up for the train to Oldham.

Yes me too - Jon Boden and the Remnant Kings in May, Sidmouth Folk Festival at the beginning of August and Cornwall Folk Festival at the end of August

Booked tickets for Dylan here in March and also (last month) for the Badalona and Terrasaa music festivals in March.

Tuffers & Aggers

I guess this comes under gigs.

Went along last night to The Palace Theatre. The usual parking issues there, but we were in with a bit to spare. Good crowd, though some didn't turn up due to horrendous traffic problems on the A130. The couple next to us didn't arrive until 5 minutes before the interval.

The format worked well. There's a limit to what you can do anyway with this. Aggers started off with a few stories and then Tuffers appeared with his usual impish humour. They linked it with some video and still clips on a screen behind them.

Second half was a Q&A session, so a little bit more of the same.

Overall, an enjoyable evening.

I like The Palace. An intimate theatre, so you always feel you are listening in like you are in the living room with them, so to speak.

Tuffers & Aggers

I guess this comes under gigs.

Went along last night to The Palace Theatre. The usual parking issues there, but we were in with a bit to spare. Good crowd, though some didn't turn up due to horrendous traffic problems on the A130. The couple next to us didn't arrive until 5 minutes before the interval.

The format worked well. There's a limit to what you can do anyway with this. Aggers started off with a few stories and then Tuffers appeared with his usual impish humour. They linked it with some video and still clips on a screen behind them.

Second half was a Q&A session, so a little bit more of the same.

Overall, an enjoyable evening.

I like The Palace. An intimate theatre, so you always feel you are listening in like you are in the living room with them, so to speak.

Andy,

I'm guessing that Tuffers and Aggers are a comedy duo? In which case I don't personally think this is the best thread to review their act.Had the same problem a couple of years ago when I saw Howard Marks -Mr Nice-here.IIRC,I put my comments on his talk, in the what's making you happy thread.

FWIW,I'm a great fan of The Palace Theatre.Having seen many plays there over the years I'd agree that it's an "intimate" venue. Also seen some great music gigs there too.The last,a couple of years ago, was Andy Fairweather Low's excellent band (with local musician, Leigh's very own Dave Bronze on bass). The first,IIRC,was Lindisfarne back in the early 70's.I hope they'll continue to put on music gigs there.

There's a throwback to the past 'Tangles'. I know Dave Bronze. I've been round his house. It was in the early nineties when he was playing with Dr Feelgood. The band's manager, Chris Fenwick, was a client of mine and I did some work for the band. Lee, Steve Walwyn and the like. Great guys. I actually attended Lee's last ever gig at the Dr Feelgood Music Bar on Canvey Island.

As for Aggers & Tuffers. I parked it there, because I couldn't find a thread that was more appropriate, but let me know which one it is and I'll get the mods to move it.

There's a throwback to the past 'Tangles'. I know Dave Bronze. I've been round his house. It was in the early nineties when he was playing with Dr Feelgood. The band's manager, Chris Fenwick, was a client of mine and I did some work for the band. Lee, Steve Walwyn and the like. Great guys. I actually attended Lee's last ever gig at the Dr Feelgood Music Bar on Canvey Island.

As for Aggers & Tuffers. I parked it there, because I couldn't find a thread that was more appropriate, but let me know which one it is and I'll get the mods to move it.

Interesting post. :thumbsup: (Btw,I've also seen DB play with Eric Bibb and Clapton.Certainly wish I'd been there for LB's last gig. Saw him play with the Feelgoods quite a few times back in the day.And drink at the Grand):cricko:

As for A+G,as I said,probably what's making you happy today.Not really fussed but stand up comedy doesn't really qualify as a gig for me.Sorry.

Yep, they were often in The Grand, you're right. On LB's last gig, we didn't realize it would be the last one. He had been in the office a few times and talked through his treatment and was hopeful of getting better, but many people later felt that on that last night, he did know it was likely to be the last.

Interesting take on what a "gig" is. For me it's a live stage performance of any genre, but I take your point. It's not really under the "happy" thread, though.

Just booked flights, tickets and accommodation for the 2018 Rory Gallagher Festival held in Ireland. Its a small/medium sized festival organised by the Gallagher family which celebrates the music of Rory Gallagher who left us some 20+ years ago. It spreads over 4 days with bands playing in the streets and pubs of Ballyshannon (Gallaghers birthplace) with the headliners staged in a big top. Acts include Wilko, Wishbone Ash, Brian Downey (ex Lizzy) and Band of Friends (Rory ex band members). It will be my third visit to what has always been a mix of great music, craic and too much Guinness.

Just booked flights, tickets and accommodation for the 2018 Rory Gallagher Festival held in Ireland. Its a small/medium sized festival organised by the Gallagher family which celebrates the music of Rory Gallagher who left us some 20+ years ago. It spreads over 4 days with bands playing in the streets and pubs of Ballyshannon (Gallaghers birthplace) with the headliners staged in a big top. Acts include Wilko, Wishbone Ash, Brian Downey (ex Lizzy) and Band of Friends (Rory ex band members). It will be my third visit to what has always been a mix of great music, craic and too much Guinness.

That sounds great! I'm a big Rory fan. Share his birthday! What a sad end to his life though.

That sounds great! I'm a big Rory fan. Share his birthday! What a sad end to his life though.

Yes he would have been 70 last week :sad: - one of my all time faves.

One of the most memorable gigs was at the Kursaal in `74 I think - I took my girlfriend (now my wife) She was impressed that Rory played on regardless despite rain pouring through the roof !!

Yes he would have been 70 last week :sad: - one of my all time faves.

One of the most memorable gigs was at the Kursaal in `74 I think - I took my girlfriend (now my wife) She was impressed that Rory played on regardless despite rain pouring through the roof !!

Remember seeing Rory play in Montpellier back in the early 80's.Excellent gig.Even took brother Graham along.:smile:

Cheers,might be able to make the Manfred's gig.Seen him with the Blues band before.:thumbsup:
I have seen the Manfreds a few times , they used to do a Blues Tour with special guests like Long John Baldry , Chris Farlowe , Alan Price , Colin Blunstone , Maggie Bell and PP Arnold . I believe that Georgie Fame is down the Cliffs with them this year .

This was the first gig I have been to where the drummer was substituted with 30 minutes to go and mid song! Seriously, long time Yes member Alan White had missed a few tours due to ill heath but managed to play the final half hour of the show.

This was my third official Yes gig in four years. This time they played some classic Yes tracks for the first half of the show, then after the interval they performed sides 1 and 4 from the Tales From Topographic Oceans double album.

Both myself and my friend agreed that there was only one duff track in the first half, which was Onward from the Tormato album and billed as a tribute to the late Chris Squire.

If Yes we very good before the interval they were excellent afterwards. Not only were the TFTO tracks fabulous, but they finished the show with the usual encore of Roundabout and an unexpected and sublime version of Starship Trooper.

An amazing gig!

ys04.jpgys08.jpgys09.jpgys14.jpgys17.jpg

For more photos from the gig click here

Back