• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Saw Joe Jackson again at BARTs in Barna last nigh.Been 40 years since I last saw him live.Glad to say he's ageing well.Always liked the raw energy of his pop songs.He came in with the punk movement (first album back in '79) but like Elvis was always a more talented musician than that.Excellent show.

Saw him live a couple of times back in the day - that raw energy transferred to the stage performances which were excellent. Was he doing his 70's & early 80's material or later stuff (a lot of which is also v. good)?

Saw him live a couple of times back in the day - that raw energy transferred to the stage performances which were excellent. Was he doing his 70's & early 80's material or later stuff (a lot of which is also v. good)?

A bit of both.Quite a few tracks from The Fool (which I like) +older stuff too.I was working with someone the other day who last saw him here 20 years ago.She knew his manager and got invited backstage.Said he was a really nice bloke.

Possible gigs for the second half of the year:

Gary Numan - Leeds
Al Stewart - Sheffield
Squeeze supported by Heaven 17 - Manchester
Hawklords - Bradford
Martin Stephenson & The Daintees - Manchester

Last edited:
A gig for your diary. Sunday 19th April 2020, Toyah and Hazel O'Connor at the Palace Theatre.

Tickets on sale now.

I've seen and met them both recently and they are awesome.

A gig for your diary. Sunday 19th April 2020, Toyah and Hazel O'Connor at the Palace Theatre.

Tickets on sale now.

I've seen and met them both recently and they are awesome.

While I wouldn't normally seek either of them out I have also seen them both in the last year or so. Toyah is very professional, wearing well and puts on a good show, Hazel O'Connor blew me away when I saw her in February. Highlight was 'Stay now' which included some fantastic sax playing by a lady who's credits include being in David Bowie's support band at Live Aid.

Last night I went to see Al Stewart at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester. He was supported by an American group called Empty Pockets who also serve as his backing band during his set. The RNCM is a very nice venue, it holds around 650 people in the main concert hall, and the gig was pretty much a sell out from what I could see.

Stewart played for around 75 minutes including the encore which I guess is a little on the short side. His voice is as good as ever and sounds exactly to same as on his records from the seventies.

Stewart doesn't allow photography at his gigs, so I don't have and pictures but it did mean I could just listen to the music without being distracted. And boy, was it great music! He played all but one song from the Year of the Cat album, finishing on the title track, so I was very pleased.

Go and tell Lord Grenville that I had a very pleasant evening!

Last night I went to see Al Stewart at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester. He was supported by an American group called Empty Pockets who also serve as his backing band during his set. The RNCM is a very nice venue, it holds around 650 people in the main concert hall, and the gig was pretty much a sell out from what I could see.

Stewart played for around 75 minutes including the encore which I guess is a little on the short side. His voice is as good as ever and sounds exactly to same as on his records from the seventies.

Stewart doesn't allow photography at his gigs, so I don't have and pictures but it did mean I could just listen to the music without being distracted. And boy, was it great music! He played all but one song from the Year of the Cat album, finishing on the title track, so I was very pleased.

Go and tell Lord Grenville that I had a very pleasant evening!

I'd say that's been pretty much standard for the last couple of years now.

Can't say I've ever been much of an Al Stewart fan though.

Saw Japanese grindcore band Melt-Banana on Wednesday, only the 2nd time I've ever used ear plugs. I just love her yapping vocals.
Tonight in Kingston I saw the first ever gig by Anus, which is a tribute to Snuff by the singer from Snuff and it sounded exactly like Snuff, so I'm happy. Added sax as well as the trombone but no Hammond. Went for the louder punkier tracks and it was ace.

Saw Japanese grindcore band Melt-Banana on Wednesday, only the 2nd time I've ever used ear plugs. I just love her yapping vocals.
Tonight in Kingston I saw the first ever gig by Anus, which is a tribute to Snuff by the singer from Snuff and it sounded exactly like Snuff, so I'm happy. Added sax as well as the trombone but no Hammond. Went for the louder punkier tracks and it was ace.
Saw them in brighton a few years back... I’m still trying to figure out what went on! Glorious noise! Melt banana, that is

Saw Lizz Wright at SC's Auditori earlier.She's mainly a jazz singer but did superb versions of Neil Young's Old Man and a gospel (as yet unrecorded) version of Judy Collins/Fairports/Nina Simone's Who Knows where the time goes?

Ha! That reminds me of the time,back in the early 80's, when I saw Motorhead in Montpellier.Not really my sort of music and I walked out after a couple of numbers.Sound was much better outside.How I wish I'd had earplugs that night.

going to see UK Subs either in Dover or Lewes later this month, anyone around fancy a beer?
I used to work for UK Subs and they would go on tour and Charlie would do things like lead them to believe they had a night off then direct them to a squat where they would be sleeping the night then when they queried why they had to unload the gear he'd say 'we need to do a show, be rude to expect to stay here for free'.

I used to work for UK Subs and they would go on tour and Charlie would do things like lead them to believe they had a night off then direct them to a squat where they would be sleeping the night then when they queried why they had to unload the gear he'd say 'we need to do a show, be rude to expect to stay here for free'.
top man is Charlie. very curtious to us when we supported them. Alvin's a nice guy too, bailed me out in a moment of need and sent our guitarist and new wife a wedding pressie.

Back