• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
It's seemed to me for a while now that there should be a place on this forum for gigs that people have been to recently(and what they thought about the band) and/ or upcoming concerts and their venues.
So here goes.;)
Have to say that it's been a bit quiet here on the gigs front recently(it usually is after the turn of the year)but back in February we had Richard(Let's ballard) Hawley touring his latest album Truelove's Gutter at the Bikini which is a relatively small all standing club on the Barna circuit.Given that it was a midweek concert there was a pretty high turnout with fans of all ages many of whom knew RH's songs backwards.

After that at the begining of March we had Joan Baez at La Palau de Musica which is of course an all seated venue where classical music is the normal bill of fare.La Baez played lots of new stuff off her recent album produced by Steve Earle plus enough golden oldies and songs in Catalan and Spanish to keep the-ahem-middle aged audience m ore than happy.

I'd have to say reluctantly that Barna is not much of a Blues town which is why I'm really looking forward to Coco Montoya's concert here in Terrassa on Friday (as part of Terrassa's annual Jazz festival)in the small but atmospheric Nova Jazz Cava club in Terrassa.
Also on the post Easter horizon is a rare gig in Sant Cugat itself by Michael Nyman and his band at the SC auditorium.
I should add that the Artic Monkeys were in town last month and Florence and the Machine last weekend but I couldn't catch either gig because of commitments elsewhere.:)

Last edited:
I think he’s done well. Played at the top level for a number of years without being involved in any sex or drugs scandals.

I think he’s done well. Played at the top level for a number of years without being involved in any sex or drugs scandals.

Richard Hawley?
He's also got very loyal support.:support:
Second time I've seen him in Barna(out of the 3 times he's played here) and from checking his website it was obvious that some fans had flown over from the UK just for the gig.Particularly so for his concert a few years back which was on a Saturday night at the Apollo, which is a much bigger venue than the Bikini where he played here last month.

Richard Hawley?
He's also got very loyal support.:support:
Second time I've seen him in Barna(out of the 3 times he's played here) and from checking his website it was obvious that some fans had flown over from the UK just for the gig.Particularly so for his concert a few years back which was on a Saturday night at the Apollo, which is a much bigger venue than the Bikini where he played here last month.

i was talking about Ran Giggs actually, but credit to both of them.

Haven't been to any gigs at all this year. Not much of worth comes to MK and there's very few acts I can be arsed to schlep to London or Birmingham for.

Coco Montoya-Monkey See,monkey Do

Over the years I've seen some great Blues acts at the Terrassa Jazz Festival.Memphis Slim,Champion Jack Dupree and Luther Allison spring to mind.So do Magic Slim,Jimmy Johnson,Big Jack Johnson,Corry Harris,the Michael Hill Blues band,Elvin Bishop,Duke Robbillard and Charlie Musselwhite to name a few more.
Unfortunately Coco Montoya doesn't really belong in that sort of exalted company.Now, John Mayall's probably never had a bad lead guitarist in his Bluesbreakers(not for more than one night anyhow).:)
So I have to fess up here and say that I'm not really a great fan of rock guitar Blues.I tend to favour Delta Blues or hard, driving Chicago Blues.
Having seen Albert "Iceman" Collins back in the 80's I know exactly where CM's gutar licks are coming from.It's true he plays a mean Strat but he didn't play an original note all night and his singing is nothing more than pedestrian to put it politely.In fact he reminds me a lot of another ex-Mayall guitarist-Walter Trout who he resembles physically and also in playing style.
Larry Garner's playing a free concert tomorrow and that should be a whole lot better.
Maybe next year to celebrate the Terrassa Jazz Festival's 30th birthday the organisers will invite a genuine Bluesman again and not some Californian copycat.
BTW the title refers to a track off CM's The Essential CM which is worth getting for the guitar playing alone.Why he hasn't made an instrumental only album I've no idea.

I've got VIP tickets to see Bowling For Soup at the Colchester leg of their UK acoustic tour. In case anyone thought the same as Hils did when she heard, yes they are still together. :dim: I'm looking forward to it muchly.

if we get back from Brizzle Rovers in time, going by train a few of us are going to take in the legendary Stiff Little Fingers down the Chinnery's next Sat night.

Good idea for a thread Barna ... i've not been to any gigs since the middle of November when i saw The Dogs D'Amour twice in a week, shameful really considering a load of my mates are in local bands and there is often something on i really ought to go to

Back