• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Saw Richard Thompson at Badalona's Festival de Blues i Ritmes last night.Excellent acoustic concert by an artist who I've always thought is the nearest thing we have to a British Bob Dylan.

Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets

According to Nick Mason, it was Lee Harris's idea to form the band and perform Syd Barrett's music. For this tour they have expanded the repertoire to include anything recorded before DSOTM.

The band includes long time Pink Floyd collaborator, and Rick Wright's son-in-law, Guy Pratt on bass and Gary Kemp on guitar and vocals.

It was great to hear some of the older Floyd songs performed live, and apart from one song which I have never really liked, it was pretty flawless from the opening One Of These Days to the closing Bike. My own particular favourite from the night was If segwaying into Atom Heart Mother and back to If again.

During the gig, Kemp confessed his love for the music and he certainly played with gusto and really seemed to enjoy himself especially on the tracks that were originally improvised. Vocally, he sounds more like Waters than Barrett.

Definitely a show to see again.

The Great Gig In The Sky.

nick02.jpg
nick04.jpg
nick05.jpg
nick08.jpg
nick14.jpg

Just got home from seeing The Divine Comedy at the Regent Theatre in Ipswich.

Incredible show, Neil Hannon is an amazing showman, and superb song writer.

Best concert I’ve been to for a long time.
Their gig at the old Esplanade (I’ll be so sad seeing that redeveloped on my next trip over) in the mid 90s remains one of my favourites of all time. A writer of exquisite pop songs.

For any fans of modern country music, went to see Brothers Osborne at the Roundhouse in Camden on Monday. They were excellent.

I've enjoyed Graeme Douglas' final (mini) tour with the Cornish variant of his band, the Hot Flyers, down here in west Cornwall. He's still a wonderful guitarist and it was great to hear some of those fantastic tracks that he co-wrote for the Kursaal Flyers and Eddie and the Hot Rods.

GD will be playing his final solo gig tomorrow here in Penzance. I think his last gig is headlining a benefit concert at the Chalkwell Park Rooms on Sunday 12/6 with the Southend variant of the Hot Flyers. Get along if you can.

Jeff Beck at the O2 Apollo Manchester

I'd seen a programme on Jeff Beck on BBC4 around 2018 and decided that I'd like to see him live. In the programme he said that meeting Jan Hammer and discussing music with him had given him the confidence to perform purely as a instrumentalist without the need to work with a vocalist in his live shows.

For 50 minutes everything was going fine with Beck displaying his fantastic ability on the guitar, then that actor Johnny Depp walked out to murder a few songs!

I have to say that musically only the first and last song that Depp sang with group was any good. But there were plenty of people screaming at him from behind me. I'd booked my ticket in 2020 just as we went into lockdown, so I guess many people towards the back of the theatre got their tickets just to see Depp after his appearance in Sheffield last weekend.

I have nothing against Depp singing with Beck, they just could have chosen better songs.

Support was provided by Sharon Corr.

Some photos from the gig are below, for more click here.

JB01.jpgJB02.jpgJB04.jpgJB09.jpgJB19.jpg

Last edited:
Jubilation Festival here

Attachments

• F1415A97-4D1A-4A80-83A0-14E343F48209.jpeg
    F1415A97-4D1A-4A80-83A0-14E343F48209.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2BE75344-51B7-4CB1-9D92-DA52083039DC.jpeg
    2BE75344-51B7-4CB1-9D92-DA52083039DC.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 19042387-AFE3-4DD8-A9C8-7FF590B9F856.jpeg
    19042387-AFE3-4DD8-A9C8-7FF590B9F856.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1E1C94C2-8054-4567-92F3-C8CA58C09281.jpeg
    1E1C94C2-8054-4567-92F3-C8CA58C09281.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 7
Saw Muse at the Eventim Apollo (Hammersmith) for Big Issue charity event on 10th May. They never disappoint but this was a different level.

I have seen The Stones, Bowie, The Who, Green Day, Wings, Paul Weller, The Jam, Slade, The Clash & far too many more to list here but for me Muse top them all 😁PXL_20220510_205140547_exported_4824.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220510_195246092.jpg
    PXL_20220510_195246092.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I suspect that will be rather good.

I didn't make the night they placed SEEVIC (late '78/early '79?) either, sadly. It was reportedly quite lively.

I hope so.

I had tickets for the Peterbro' gig in 79, I didn't go in the end . They walked off after 3 numbers when a mass ruck broke out during "White Noise" . Apparently a mob of NF Skins misinterpreted the lyrics...

I hope so.

I had tickets for the Peterbro' gig in 79, I didn't go in the end . They walked off after 3 numbers when a mass ruck broke out during "White Noise" . Apparently a mob of NF Skins misinterpreted the lyrics...
A similar thing happened at a RAR (Rock Against Racism) open air concert around the same time but unfortunately The Ruts never even got to the stage because of the trouble going on 🤦

I would have liked to see the Ruts ...The Crack is a great album
I was lucky enough to see them at Scamps in the spring of '79.

There were only about 25 of us there and most of them were their posse from Southall.

Malcolm Owen was superb - he had so much energy and put everything into the performance.

Jeff Beck at the O2 Apollo Manchester

I'd seen a programme on Jeff Beck on BBC4 around 2018 and decided that I'd like to see him live.
In the programme he said that meeting Jan Hammer and discussing music with him had given him the confidence to perform purely as a instrumentalist without the need to work with a vocalist in his live shows.

For 50 minutes everything was going fine with Beck displaying his fantastic ability on the guitar, then that actor Johnny Depp walked out to murder a few songs!

I have to say that musically only the first and last song that Depp sang with group was any good. But there were plenty of people screaming at him from behind me. I'd booked my ticket in 2020 just as we went into lockdown, so I guess many people towards the back of the theatre got their tickets just to see Depp after his appearance in Sheffield last weekend.

I have nothing against Depp singing with Beck, they just could have chosen better songs.

Support was provided by Sharon Corr.

Some photos from the gig are below, for more click here.

View attachment 20674View attachment 20675View attachment 20676View attachment 20677View attachment 20678
He played here in Barna -pre-covid -around this time of year.Great concert by a great guitarist.

Back