• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Not Sky but some surprisingly good quality highlights posted on YouTube by the club. Looks harsh to blame Dan as the ball doesn't follow the path you would expect it to, and he did make a superb stop just before. Great play by Deegan, Pig and McLaughlin for our goal.

[video=youtube_share;9jTSds8rTBM]http://youtu.be/9jTSds8rTBM[/video]

Here are the Sky ones if anyone wants them.

[video]http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/southend-united/10042483/gillingham-1-1-southend[/video]

Loved everything about our goal, Deegan's sharpness and winning tackle (plus a fair ball out to Piggot) Mac's run off the ball and Piggot's awareness when heading it on. Tidy finish too.

Could Bentley have done better for the goal? It's debatable, but for the Echo to call it a 'calamitous error' is a disgrace. Get behind the team please, I can start to understand why the Echo has been blocked from talking to players following games now.

Yeah you can't call that a keeper error, even on the radio they were saying what a Bentley howler it was, no way as that was a pure fluke goal and maybe 2 out of 10 keepers would of got to that punt, player never even meant that and you can tell from the reaction of his team mates, can't blame Bentley for that goal.

Missed my first home of the season yesterday and watching that your lad took his goal well however Egan should never have lost control of the ball to allow piggott to head it on, our goal looks like loft looked up saw your keeper off his line and thought have a pop, just a difference to the shade of blue tinted glasses we're looking through I suppose

Missed my first home of the season yesterday and watching that your lad took his goal well however Egan should never have lost control of the ball to allow piggott to head it on, our goal looks like loft looked up saw your keeper off his line and thought have a pop, just a difference to the shade of blue tinted glasses we're looking through I suppose

I don't think for a moment that he meant that as a shot, on the highlights you can see him clearly look across to see who was in the box just before he 'shoots'. If he did mean to shoot it was a hell of a goal but I seriously doubt that anyone in League 1 has that quality.

I don't think for a moment that he meant that as a shot, on the highlights you can see him clearly look across to see who was in the box just before he 'shoots'. If he did mean to shoot it was a hell of a goal but I seriously doubt that anyone in League 1 has that quality.

Andy Sussex scored better at the same level

Andy Sussex scored better at the same level

Andy Sussex was great at scoring a volley from long range, not over hitting crosses that fly in. Do you seriously think that he meant that as a shot? He should be playing for Man City if he did.

2 things to note... those highlights (whoever put them together) show lots of Gills hopeful shots from outside the box, but are very light on a few chances we created which were much better and forced saves. Secondly, they don't show Bentley taking 2 or 3 steps out to catch the ball, before realising he'd misjudged it and running back. It was a howler... but he has saved us before and will save us again, so is allowed one every 2 or 3 years.

2 things to note... those highlights (whoever put them together) show lots of Gills hopeful shots from outside the box, but are very light on a few chances we created which were much better and forced saves. Secondly, they don't show Bentley taking 2 or 3 steps out to catch the ball, before realising he'd misjudged it and running back. It was a howler... but he has saved us before and will save us again, so is allowed one every 2 or 3 years.

As I said in my match report I was behind Loft when he shot. What you can't see on the highlights is the way the ball swerved. For the first 20yds the ball was swerving away from goal to their forwards which is why Dan started to come out. Then it suddenly swerved back left and with the help of the breeze drifted inside the post. No Keeper can second guess that a ball will swerve both ways so what would every one be saying if Bentley had been rooted to goal line why their forward heading in the equaliser.

As I said in my match report I was behind Loft when he shot. What you can't see on the highlights is the way the ball swerved. For the first 20yds the ball was swerving away from goal to their forwards which is why Dan started to come out. Then it suddenly swerved back left and with the help of the breeze drifted inside the post. No Keeper can second guess that a ball will swerve both ways so what would every one be saying if Bentley had been rooted to goal line why their forward heading in the equaliser.

Fair point

2 points to make. Doug Loft didn't celebrate as he was too embarrassed.

Dan Bentley came over to the supporters at the end of the game, held his hands up and apologised. To me, that means he felt he could have done better and that he'd made an error. No problem with that either, it happens. Dan has saved us so many times in the past and he will do again in the future. It's an error, let's move on and give him our usual level of support on Saturday.

Four of us were also pretty much in line with Loft when he shot (were you the other Shrimper in front of us in block G upper who stood up briefly and sat down quickly when McLaughlin scored?!). I agree that you can't hold Bentley to blame - Loft sliced the ball and it swerved wickedly at pace while en route.

Back