• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Gillingham 3-1 Southend United

Not the best angle on the camera, but if you see the replay he slides in to block the clearance, but is actually about a yard away from the player.

My impression was that he clearly made contact with the Gills player in a sliding tackle. As GP said on the commentary the Gills player was experienced enough to roll around on the touchline and make the tackle look worse tnan it was but in any case it wasn't the sort of tackle an experienced player would not have made when on a yellow (unless he wanted to get sent off of course,which I doubt).

A
My impression was that he clearly made contact with the Gills player in a sliding tackle. As GP said on the commentary the Gills player was experienced enough to roll around on the touchline and make the tackle look worse tnan it was but in any case it wasn't the sort of tackle an experienced player would have made when on a yellow (unless he wanted to get sent off of course, which I doubt).
As I watched, the tackle was out of shot, due to the blue post down that side. So can't really comment on it. However I did think the ref was very soft on some of the other decisions.

Didn’t go today mate but when I’ve seen him this season I’ve thought theres some real potential there.

He’s got potential, no doubt. I just don’t think that potential is out wide or in midfield. When out wide he constantly wants to come inside and vacates the wings, doesn’t offer his full back any support. At the moment far to easy to push of the ball. Of course he lacks experience at the moment and with game time you’d like to think all that would improve but I see him being more of a #10 rather than a winger.

Part of the learning curve we can ill afford at the moment.

Harsh lesson to learn and I am sure the youngster is distraught.

If he made the same error again I would start digging him out a bit, but now he needs an arm around the shoulder and a gentle word in his ear about how this should improve his experience, but don't do it again.

A lot of criticism of kids like Hutchinson and Acquah on here but the real blame has to be shouldered by the likes of Kiernan, Demetriou and especially Milligan who most of the time just stood and watched Gillingham carve them wide open. International captains should be better than this. The particularly abysmal Milligan shouting at Humphrys to get back and defend says it all. We always had the numbers back but no one to take responsibility.

Last edited:
Inexperience or not, Acquah is an embarrassment and shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team
Were you there ? He was one of very few that tried today, he actually did well in the short time he was on and their player conned the ref for the second yellow.

3-1 and could’ve been 5 with one missed pen and one saved.

Acquah sent off.

Well it definitely crosses one name off of the manager shortlist, which gets shorter by the day.
More.... he saved 3 in the first half, first pen goaded their player into putting it wide, he stood to his left and kept pointing to the huge gap on his right and the bloke smashed it wide :Smile: Saved the next pen then another with his feet, could have been 9 if you add that lot up it was that bad. I make him preventing 6 and they scored 3. How **** are we ?

They battered us first half, Ox called into action several times. They finally scored with a deflected effort. Meanwhile we played like 11 blokes who hadn't met before, let alone had any tactics.

Down to Waddock at half time to remind them they get paid to do this. Result? Conceded in 40 seconds.

Then we scored. Nice bit of thinking. Their keeper, probably surprised at the white round thing coming at him, dived over it. Interestingly not much in the way of celebration. Maybe they've forgotten how to do that.

Acquah had come on and actually made a difference. Gave Gills a problem they hadn't thought about or planned for. Then he got sent off.

Two penalties followed, one hit the post and one was saved. Shsughnessy was sent up front. And for a few minutes we looked like me bit interested.

They scored. Game over.

Another unacceptable performance. Gillingham are a poor team, we made them look like world beaters.

A lot of criticism of kids like Hutchinson and Acquah on here but the real blame has to be shouldered by the likes of Kiernan, Demetriou and especially Milligan who most of the time just stood and watched Gillingham carve them wide open. International captains should be better than this. The particularly abysmal Milligan shouting at Humphrys to get back and defend says it all. We always had the numbers back but no one to take responsibility.

Agree completely with this. Mustn’t let it get to the stage where we’re on the back of junior players. We have enough senior pros and a management team who need to raise their game first.

We need a manager who will know league 2 and how to get out of it as that is where we are undoubtedly heading. One positive is that nearly every player is out of contract come 2020 and we can have a sturrock-esque rebuild.

I had every intention of going today and even got up early to get things done at home in anticipation I fortunately, for some reason I thought I best check when my MOT is due as I had an inclining it was either the end of the month or beginning of next and thought I best think about arranging to get it booked in to the garage.
Good job I checked this morning before setting out - my MOT experience at the end of August and I have been driving around unaware.
That paid stop to me going and ended up listening on the radio.

I had every intention of going today and even got up early to get things done at home in anticipation I fortunately, for some reason I thought I best check when my MOT is due as I had an inclining it was either the end of the month or beginning of next and thought I best think about arranging to get it booked in to the garage.
Good job I checked this morning before setting out - my MOT experience at the end of August and I have been driving around unaware.
That paid stop to me going and ended up listening on the radio.

Why did you not walk, loads of others did? :Smile:

Can’t believe what is going on with this club I hope the new manager gets them playing but who knows

Back