• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Gillingham 3-1 Southend United

Some good saves, can’t tell if our lad made contact with there player for the 2nd yellow and Oxley has to do better for the 3rd goal.

Tackling now a criminal offence?

So is trying to block the ball without even making contact. Acquah was doing the job his senior players couldn't be bothered to do. Before he came on is was going to be 4-0 anyway.

Acquahs second yellow is baffling me here... no contact from what I can see, didn't look reckless, can anyone shed any light?

Ok, so here's the thing.

Look at that defending. I mean, for the first goal we have 10 players in the box with 50 yards to the next nearest player. No-one is on the edge of the box or picking up any runners. It's pathetic.

Second goal isn't a lot better with all the players having bugger all awareness of what's behind them and no-one is tracking the man. The third goal is a joke with both Elvis and Lennon pointing at an unmarked player yet no-one goes to close them down. Again, a complete lack of awareness.

Southend Borough Combination players wouldn't do that. These players are good players; some are or have been internationals.

SURELY THEY DON'T NEED A MANAGER TO TELL THEM SOMETHING THAT BASIC!

Ok, so here's the thing.

Look at that defending. I mean, for the first goal we have 10 players in the box with 50 yards to the next nearest player. No-one is on the edge of the box or picking up any runners. It's pathetic.

Second goal isn't a lot better with all the players having bugger all awareness of what's behind them and no-one is tracking the man. The third goal is a joke with both Elvis and Lennon pointing at an unmarked player yet no-one goes to close them down. Again, a complete lack of awareness.

Southend Borough Combination players wouldn't do that. These players are good players; some are or have been internationals.

The worst parry by Oxley from a very tame shot for the third can't got unnoticed either

I would most definitely appeal the sending off , ive watched it over 10 times now and i can;t see any contact what so ever, the defender has cleared the ball and it was a genuine attempt to block the clearance - never a yellow in any level of football , terrible decision.

As for our defending , we have 7 players back in our own box for the second goal and yet they get space to find a yard , lay off a ball and for the scorer to pick out the corner of the net .....absolutely no pressure at all.

The second penalty - the clearance that leads to the foul is an embarrassment for a professional player , a clearance that dropped half a yard from where he attempted to clear it , Turner , Cresswell, Barrett, Ferdinand, Sodje would have all attacked that , cleared our lines and moved the defence out of our box - our current bunch have no aggression and determination to get the ball away from our goal as far as possible .

Im afraid you can try this time and time again on the training ground but if you don;t have the personal to perform it when it matters then its pointless.

Big clear out needed

Ok, so here's the thing.

I pretty much wrote the same thing at the same time as you , it seems we think defending means to stand as close to our 6 yard box as possible, how about getting about the ball and making sure you get there before the opposing player ......that would be the very least id expect . Not one player taking the job of leading and organisation is poor

That video is the stuff nightmares are made of. You don’t see that in a Year 7 school match!

All the defenders on top of eachother ball chasing leaving most of their attackers unmarked. Then a goalkeeper who pushes the ball out in front of him yet again.

The worst parry by Oxley from a very tame shot for the third can't got unnoticed either

But to be fair to Oxley, he made some good saves and got right in the mind of the Gills player for their two penalties that were missed (one which was saved).

His was more of a mistake, which happens. I'm not lumping on him for that as we would have been 5 or 6 down by then if he hadn't have done his job up to that point.

The marking (and I use the word in the loosest possible sense) however was unforgivable.

The defending done by Wolves v City yesterday was immense - Alan Shearer commented that it was about attitude and determination and that should apply at all levels - we seem to have very little of either at the moment.

I would most definitely appeal the sending off , ive watched it over 10 times now and i can;t see any contact what so ever, the defender has cleared the ball and it was a genuine attempt to block the clearance - never a yellow in any level of football , terrible decision.

As for our defending , we have 7 players back in our own box for the second goal and yet they get space to find a yard , lay off a ball and for the scorer to pick out the corner of the net .....absolutely no pressure at all.

The second penalty - the clearance that leads to the foul is an embarrassment for a professional player , a clearance that dropped half a yard from where he attempted to clear it , Turner , Cresswell, Barrett, Ferdinand, Sodje would have all attacked that , cleared our lines and moved the defence out of our box - our current bunch have no aggression and determination to get the ball away from our goal as far as possible .

Im afraid you can try this time and time again on the training ground but if you don;t have the personal to perform it when it matters then its pointless.

Big clear out needed
Cant appeal a yellow card! As the dismissal was for two yellows we are stuck with it

Yes it was a reckless sliding challenge worthy of a yellow.

He wasn't making a challenge he was sliding to block in the same way a fullback slides to cut out a cross. Their lad manufactures some contact with his follow through and the Gills crowd do their job as they often do.

While were at it, Shaughnessy plays the ball and it was outside the box for the first pen.

Back