• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Gillingham boss Steve Evans feels sorry for Southend United manager Sol Campbell

Evening Echo

The News
GILLINGHAM boss Steve Evans admitted to feeling sorry for Southend United boss Sol Campbell following his side's 1-0 win at Roots Hall tonight.

More...

Nice comment from Evans about the result and Sols efforts. Many folks like to hate Evans but guess what I dont think we would be in this position if we had appointed him pre or post Bond

Nice comment from Evans about the result and Sols efforts. Many folks like to hate Evans but guess what I dont think we would be in this position if we had appointed him pre or post Bond

Evans requires money to be successful. We don't have that. He wouldn't have been any more successful here than Sol has been, no manager would.

Evans is awful, look at the football his team played last night, bang it long and batter people and truth be told they got a fortunate win, a draw as a fair result.

As Clarky says he needs money, one way or the other, to be successful. He then moans about paying it like he did with Akinde (for the record a player that was in our centre hales pockets all night), one day too much involved we wont pay that and then he does, wonder how that works.

I'll never like him, but I do accept he's not as bad as his reputation. Apparently away from football he's a really calm bloke, he just lets the emotion get the better of him.

If you haven't read Ben Smith's autobiography you should. There's some interesting stuff in there about Evans. Suffice it to say they didn't see eye to eye!

Last edited:
I find him and his right hand man quite pathetic. Constantly barking from the touchline all game to their players and officials. If I was a player in one of his teams it would seriously hack me off to be putting up with that nonsense every game. His success is only short term and also requires money.

He is a likable, respectable man when comparing to our vile chairman!

****ing hell is this where we are as a club now? Pity from Evans? Jesus!

Evans has never gone to a club with no money.

Why would you , all about ambition as a Manager , you want to be able to put your own stamp on things and i think we all know Pep wouldn;t have gone to City without the promise of a bottomless wallet

I find him and his right hand man quite pathetic. Constantly barking from the touchline all game to their players and officials. If I was a player in one of his teams it would seriously hack me off to be putting up with that nonsense every game. His success is only short term and also requires money.

They both were/are a pair of jokers, if he wasn't having a go at his players, it was the lino, 4th official or the ref! Then the ref books Hreidarsson :Unsure: and doesn't once have a word with either of them. Then at the end of the game he seems to be in the face of the ref arguing or moaning about something!! He's a complete embarrassment and I pleased we did get him here!!

The man was convicted of fraud, and coincidentally, the club’s he’s involved with, normally end up in a dreadful financial state.

I’m glad he’s at Gillingham, I really am.

Did he, I missed that - what happened ?.

Have to admit I'm not totally sure what set it off. But at the final whistle Evans was pretty much straight on the pitch looking like he was going to the ref. But was actually trying to get to Kelman when the ref and his assistants and a number of players had to stop him

They both were/are a pair of jokers, if he wasn't having a go at his players, it was the lino, 4th official or the ref! Then the ref books Hreidarsson :Unsure: and doesn't once have a word with either of them. Then at the end of the game he seems to be in the face of the ref arguing or moaning about something!! He's a complete embarrassment and I pleased we did get him here!!

Ironic thing is although not the end of the world when Hreidarsson was being booked Evas was standing next to Campbell in our technical area talking to one of his players :Unsure:

Back