• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
As the match thread from Saturday has now ambled towards this game we might as well have a pre-match thread for it.

Gillingham twice in close succession two seasons running at the start of the season, it's just not fair somehow. Is this the match to blood youngsters, or will PB field the same side with a view to taking the points? Or will it be a side somewhere in between?

Riders and horses here please together with predictions and any other wondrous views we may not yet have had. This competition is not everyone's favourite, and coming so soon after Saturday I'm not expecting 4 figures to travel, lucky if we take 300 I think. Truthfully I have no idea what's in Phil's mind so I'm not going to predict a starting 11, but I will go for a 2-1 Southend win though because I'm an optimist.

COYB

Last edited:
Don't think we can make too many changes as need to sort out the team for Saturday and get the confidence back up. This is a chance to put yesterday right, so would expect Brown to want the same

Don't think we can make too many changes as need to sort out the team for Saturday and get the confidence back up. This is a chance to put yesterday right, so would expect Brown to want the same

If our team was young and fit then I might agree, however, with the older players, I think they might need a rest and wouldn't cope with another game so soon after Saturday's very warm affair. I definitely would like to see Ba given a start, and Ferdinand and Timlin rested. I also expect McLaughlin to start.

If our team was young and fit then I might agree, however, with the older players, I think they might need a rest and wouldn't cope with another game so soon after Saturday's very warm affair. I definitely would like to see Ba given a start, and Ferdinand and Timlin rested. I also expect McLaughlin to start.

....................and maybe Teddy?

The three players who are closest to the starting lineup will probably get a game, McLaughlin, Robinson and Yearwood, also Kiernan if fit. Ted will probably be in goal and that's it. We are I think limited in the number of changes allowed in this competition.

Cyprus are playing next Sunday so we may need to try a new right back/centre half combination.

Smith, McLaughlin, Yearwood and Ba definately need to play. I imagine he won't want to play Kightly, Ferdinand and Fortune.
Would he give Bridge a game?

I doubt Wordsworth, Turner, Kiernan or Ranger will be fit enough certainly not for 90 minutes.

Looks like Lenny will be at right back!

Smith ,
Leonard, White, Matsuzaka, Hendrie,
Bridge, Timlin, Yearwood, McLaughlin
Robinson, Ba.

That team will stuff them..........

Bench Cox, McGlashan , Oxley, Kyprianou and 3 others

I agree with OBL, I think some of the older players definitely need resting ahead of Saturday.

If I was Phil, I would be thinking of fielding a relatively strong team as possible for this one (with wholesale changes at half time, so to give some guys 45 minutes each). I would imagine the pressure would be on him for the Colchester United derby game too, and then depending on our table position, give as many youth as possible a run out for the Reading game.

That being said, due to new rule changes this season, I believe we can pick any goalkeeper throughout our ranks & field only 4 "first team players". So who knows.

As expected -
Chris Phillips‏@CJPhillips1982

Jason Demetriou will miss Blues' next two matches as he's away on international duty.

I'd like to see a good few of the fringe and youth players started.

Smith
Kyprianou
Bridge
Yearwood
McLaughlin
Klass
Robinson
BA

All to get a game

Well it's an easy trip for me so no excuse for not going. Plus I see from the Gillingham website that we'll be in the Gordon Road stand not up on the scaffolding. Tickets £7, £5 for Seniors/Under 18s and free for Under 12's. He'll surely rest Ferdinand and Fortune, maybe Timlin and probably give Ted Smith a start. So who will be our right back for these next two games? It would wreck our midfield to have Leonard there. Maybe Kiernan will be risked meaning JW can move to RB. I'd expect McLaughlin and Robinson to be given a run out, think Kyprianou should get a start and hopefully Yearwood and Ba with Matsuzaka at centre back.

Its tough but I will just have to force myself to stagger the 500 yards down the road to support the boys, and by boys I would like to see a fair amount of changes with the youngsters and others not yet to appear to get game time. I care far less about the result on this occasion but would like to see a decent performance from the above and a development opportunity for the equivalent of the Under 23s, even if it is the checkatrade. Well done in advance to any of you making it back again so soon

As stated earlier, are we not restricted in the amount of changes we can make, without financial penalties....in front of a crowd of approx 1,000......................:unsure:

MY team : SMITH, LEONARD,MATSUAKA,WHITE,KRYPTONITE
McGLASHEN,YEARWOOD(or Klass )TIMLIN , McLAUGHLIN.
COX, ROBINSON
Interchange ,BA, FERDINAND,RANGER,BRIDGE,HENDRIE,and our WOW signing.and OXLEY

Kightly was the WOW signing just couldnt think of his name lol,Its not until you write a team down and then look at it makes you think really how strong a squad we have when you can add MAF,Coker ,Demetriou,and Wordsworth to the above plus Turner and Kiernan.

The rules state that we have to play 4 players that started on Saturday. My guess is that we will use:

White, Hendrie, Leonard, McGlashan and therefore the team will be:

Smith

Bwomono White Hendrie Kyprianou

McGlashan Leonard Yearwood McLaughlin

Robinson Ba​

Leaves us looking woefully short at the back (in both meanings of the word short!), especially if that big lump Eaves plays for the Gills!

The rules state that we have to play 4 players that started on Saturday. My guess is that we will use:

White, Hendrie, Leonard, McGlashan and therefore the team will be:

Smith

Bwomono White Hendrie Kyprianou

McGlashan Leonard Yearwood McLaughlin

Robinson Ba​

Leaves us looking woefully short at the back (in both meanings of the word short!), especially if that big lump Eaves plays for the Gills!
For that very reason, you couldn't possibly go with the defensive line up!

Back