• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Gillingham FC vs Southend United

I think Scally is a Scallywag. It's just come out that Gills had £450,000 to spend on the pitch, drainage and irrigation, without having to apply for a loan. So he could have easily upgraded that 'Temporary' (25 years) away stand before the pitch trouble. He knows that no roof or cover means it's hard to out sing the home fans, especially in the wind and/or rain. If that was a home stand, it would have been done.

Ron should ask him for business advice. He even got new stands built in their stadium.

With that Eaves who scored a hat-trick against us last time there, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go to a more conventional 4-4-2.

Oxley
Bwonomo, Turner, Moore, Coker
McLaughlin, Mantom, Dieng, Yearwood
Cox and Hopper

This is a BIG game, imo the biggest so far of the season and some players react correctly to pressure of that; I suspect that Kites and MacL, from what I have seen of them do react positively when the atmosphere is there,
So my selection.
Ox
Elvis, Turner, Moore, Coker
Kites, Mantom, Dru, MacL
Cox and Hopper

The new pitch could be dangerous to turn on, it could be heavy,
Dieng played the full game Tuesday with showing he can slot into the back or mid.

This is a BIG game, imo the biggest so far of the season and some players react correctly to pressure of that; I suspect that Kites and MacL, from what I have seen of them do react positively when the atmosphere is there,
So my selection.
Ox
Elvis, Turner, Moore, Coker
Kites, Mantom, Dru, MacL
Cox and Hopper

The new pitch could be dangerous to turn on, it could be heavy,
Dieng played the full game Tuesday with showing he can slot into the back or mid.
Or on the bench by the look of things Massimo.

Spoke to both Southend and Gillingham today and both confirmed that the game is definitely on.Not sure now many tickets we have sold so no excuses for the blues to have a decent turnout.p's let's hope the Dartford crossing g is behaving itself

Spoke to both Southend and Gillingham today and both confirmed that the game is definitely on.Not sure now many tickets we have sold so no excuses for the blues to have a decent turnout.p's let's hope the Dartford crossing g is behaving itself
Just over 700 sold so far, so probably looking at 1000 on the day

I would go with a more traditional 5 at the back and hold back the wing backs from pushing on too much too early but to push on as the game develops.

No room for passengers in my opinion hence no Kightly or McL in the starting 11 which for me would be:

Oxley

Bwonomo, Moore, Turner, Coker, Hendrie

Yearwood, Dieng

Cox

Hopper, Robinson

Subs:

Bishop, Kightly, McLaughlin, Klass, Mantom, McCoulsky, Coutts

Running really short on defenders so Dieng would have to drop back in the event of injury or switch to a flat back 4 .

Bit controversial but I don't think Mantom is quite as good as we are making him out to be. Clearly a good and solid player but for me he would be behind Yearwood and Dieng in the pecking order - and also I much prefer Cox in behind a front two rather than being part of a front two

I would go with a more traditional 5 at the back and hold back the wing backs from pushing on too much too early but to push on as the game develops.

No room for passengers in my opinion hence no Kightly or McL in the starting 11 which for me would be:

Oxley

Bwonomo, Moore, Turner, Coker, Hendrie

Yearwood, Dieng

Cox

Hopper, Robinson

Subs:

Bishop, Kightly, McLaughlin, Klass, Mantom, McCoulsky, Coutts

Running really short on defenders so Dieng would have to drop back in the event of injury or switch to a flat back 4 .

Bit controversial but I don't think Mantom is quite as good as we are making him out to be. Clearly a good and solid player but for me he would be behind Yearwood and Dieng in the pecking order - and also I much prefer Cox in behind a front two rather than being part of a front two
Maybe you’ve not been watching us in action,as I can’t believe anyone who has,would even dream of selecting our worst performer Robinson ahead of our best Mantom.

SOUTHEND United winger Stephen McLaughlin could find it tough to continue his fine scoring record against Gillingham this weekend.

More...

Maybe you’ve not been watching us in action,as I can’t believe anyone who has,would even dream of selecting our worst performer Robinson ahead of our best Mantom.
Maybe you are incorrect in your assumption - two totally different positions and i have picked Yearwood and Dieng ahead of Mantom.

Sorry that my opinion doesn't agree with yours!

I don't know what's happened to him. He ended the last half of last season in great form. This season he's been mostly terrible, with confidence quite low.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get tickets on the day?

If John White is fit I think we will see Elvis and Cokes as wing backs but if JW is stilll injured reckon CP will go with a back four.

I can't believe it costs 20 pound to go in that 'stand!' It's actually ridiculous. It's the same amount as the Stadium of Light!

Needless to say, I've obtained my ticket. I do hope the blues repay the faith.

Really fearing Tom Eaves. He's been good again this season and his hatrick last season still lives in the memory. We always seem to get awful refs there too. This week's selection doesn't fill me with much hope either.

Oh well, at least the weather looks ok.

UTB!

I can't believe it costs 20 pound to go in that 'stand!' It's actually ridiculous. It's the same amount as the Stadium of Light!

Needless to say, I've obtained my ticket. I do hope the blues repay the faith.

Really fearing Tom Eaves. He's been good again this season and his hatrick last season still lives in the memory. We always seem to get awful refs there too. This week's selection doesn't fill me with much hope either.

Oh well, at least the weather looks ok.

UTB!

Agree with you about that stand. The EFL could rule that uncovered areas could only charge £10 or so...but that won’t happen.

We may go to back 4 and let Turner man mark Eaves. That’s exactly what happened at RH last season to great effect. Turner had one of his best games , robbed Eaves every time in the first 25 minutes and even lost him to score the all important 1st goal from a corner

Last edited:
My view is that the EFL should insist that all away supporters are treated on a like-for-like basis. i.e. at Roots Hall all visiting fans are under cover so we should expect the same at away games. The away "stand" at Gillingham will then need to be used for home fans, if there are enough of them!!

My view is that the EFL should insist that all away supporters are treated on a like-for-like basis. i.e. at Roots Hall all visiting fans are under cover so we should expect the same at away games. The away "stand" at Gillingham will then need to be used for home fans, if there are enough of them!!
Possibly a reasonable idea but have you been in our North Bank and especially to the WC? Replicating that experience would take years of neglect and filth to conjure. The away end at Accers is bleaker IMO with the northern chills being more prevelant.

Back