• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
It's 10 matches since we beat Gillingham anywhere and that was the match when a late Mark Phillips goal gave the 10-man Blues (Mohsni had left early!) a solitary goal victory.

Friday's referee came from Salisbury - tomorrow's is named Salisbury.The man in charge of the Easter Monday fixture is Graham Salisbury from Preston. The second oldest and most experienced official, he is well into his fifties and in his 16th season on the list. Not quite as old as Nigel Miller.

He has enjoyed a reputation as a steady journeyman official who was never going to make it to the top, but a safe pair of hands at Football League level. He is the older half of a father/son team of referees on the Football League list since his son, Michael was promoted last year.

He has refereed Southend just ten times before. That important end of season game at Grimsby (1-1) in 2004/5 (which ended rather abruptly) and the match at Luton (lost 1-0) in 2007/8 when one of Luton's players cautioned was Anthony Grant. More recently he paid his first visit to Roots Hall in 2010/11 for the home defeat by Shrewsbury, marked by an unusually high level of tolerance. He did eventually caution Mohsni and Matt Harrold and another of theirs.

His fourth match went rather well on all counts. It was the 2011/12 away win at Rotherham when even Gilbert scored in a 4-0 victory. No cards were shown at all.

Then he did 2012/13 away 2-1 defeat at York with a caution for Cresswell and a couple of theirs and next the 2013/14 0-0 draw at Bristol Rovers cautioning 3 of theirs and John White.

Next he did the season before last's late visit to Hartlepool when a rare Will Atkinson goal was enough to secure all 3 points. Cautions for Barratt and Worrall and one of theirs.

Then he took charge of our disappointing defeat at Chesterfield last season, where I thought he did okay. We were overwhelmed by a surprisingly good Chesterfield side. Surprising because that was their only win in a run of 12 home games. We were torn apart by Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. Caution for the Pig and a couple of theirs in that match.

Penultimately, was 2015/16's 4-2 defeat at Swindon when all four yellow cards came our way - Prosser, Thompson, Deegan and Atkinson.

Finally last season's good 3-1 home victory over Millwall with a caution for McGlashan and two of theirs.

It was widely thought that each of the last few seasons would be his last, but he is still going strong. His card count has, by his standards, risen dramatically over the last couple of years and this year is going to be a record for him. His 34 games have produced 137 yellows and 12 reds including a run of 8 reds in 10 games.

Co-incidentally (presumably) both Assistants performed similar roles in that Millwall match last season. Assisting will once again be Graham Kane, a citizen (repeated for those who missed it last time) from Ditchling near Brighton and Louis Marks previously from Waterlooville but now employed as a manager at Bedfordshire FA. Paul Yates from Maidstone completes the team as Fourth Official.

Thought ref was poor today. Card happy .. I really didn’t think it was red but was in East Greens. Didn’t look high. He struggled to keep up hence guesswork on decisions

Gills fans seem to think it was a red so assume ref spot on. Ref felt like a homer mind you!

Gillingham were petulant today - Nugent was lucky not to walk imho.

I just noticed on the highlights that the Ref kicked the ball back to Wright late on in the 2nd half allowing him to take a quick free kick (without what appears to be any kind of signal) that led to Cox nearly getting the 5th. If that chance had been taken and it was the difference between 1 or 0 points for Gills, then if I was them I'd have been pretty upset with Mr Salisbury. (Of course though that's just conjecture on my part, taking into consideration the game was all but over by then).

I thought the ref was generally terrible. He didn't let the game flow, yet somehow also managed to fail to stamp out quite a lot of niggle. Missed some obvious yellow cards and please for the love of God don't make 8,000 fans watch while you walk around the pitch fumbling for your cards.

Officious body language, behind play, weak.

Back