• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We have only kept one clean sheet so far this season and that would be my main concern. Think PS will look to play the counter attacking game and therefore IF we can keep them out then I think we have a chance to sneak it. Think it could be a draw, a win would be a fantastic result. Utb

We have only kept one clean sheet so far this season and that would be my main concern. Think PS will look to play the counter attacking game and therefore IF we can keep them out then I think we have a chance to sneak it. Think it could be a draw, a win would be a fantastic result. Utb

I fear our defence is not strong enough to keep them out all night. Some good players at the back on paper but on Saturday we were still frantically defending with a 2 goal lead. Credit must also go to Cheltenham for that but you get my point. I'd take a 1-1 draw here.

I fear our defence is not strong enough to keep them out all night. Some good players at the back on paper but on Saturday we were still frantically defending with a 2 goal lead. Credit must also go to Cheltenham for that but you get my point. I'd take a 1-1 draw here.

I reckon this is because we were playing 4 attack minded midfielders!

Are Spicer and Timlin really that attacking ?

I take your point as they arent excatly defensive either. Id not be surprised to see Tomlin playing wide with 5 midfielders at some point.

Hope we dont try to be too defensive though.

Over 2.5 goals. tens in. i won't but based on those stats its a good shout.

3-0 or 3-1 to Gillingham. :omg:

2-0 Gills, Kedwell and Charlie Lee. Crowd of 5200ish with 475 Shrimpers.

Here is the preview into tonight's important match against the high flying Gills

Gillingham V Southend:

FORM:

GILLINGHAM:

Last 5:

LEAGUE:

Gillingham 4-0 Bristol Rovers (W)
Barnet 1-3 Gillingham (W)
Gillingham 1-1 Chesterfield

LEAGUE CUP:

Gillingham 0-2 Middlesbrough (L)

FOOTBALL LEAGUE TROPHY:

Crawley 3-2 Gillingham (L)

SOUTHEND:

Last 5:

FOOTBALL LEAGUE TROPHY:

Southend 2-1 AFC Wimbledon

LEAGUE:

Cheltenham 1-3 Southend (W)
Southend 3-1 Dagenham (W)
Southend 1-0 Wycombe (W)
Northampton 3-3 Southend (D)

HEAD TO HEAD:

Southend 36
Draws 27
Gillingham 40

Last Time we Met: Monday 13th February Gillingham 1 Southend 2

Last 5 Head to Head Southend 2 Draws 3 Gillingham 0

KEY PLAYER FOR GILLINGHAM:

Danny Kedwell - 12 goals last season and 6 already this season see's the striker as Southend's biggest obstacle if they are to get anything at the Priestfield Stadium tonight. So impressive is Kedwell's form that he has scored 4 goals in his last three league games including 2 as the Gills thumped the Rovers.

More than likely Ryan Cresswell will get the job on the striker and if Southend are to win and be competitive then Cresswell will have to limit Kedwell to a scoreless night.

KEY PLAYER FOR SOUTHEND:

Britt Assombalonga - Another goal on Saturday for the on-loan striker brought his tally to 5 goals in his last 4 league games. Similar to Kedwell, Assombalonga has been on a goal scoring run that Gillingham will need to stop in order for them to win. The key to that will be to stop the pace of Assombalonga and if they can do that, then they will win. If they fail to do that though expect the on loan Watford player to score on the night.

STATS:

Southend's last ten games against Gillingham at Priestfield reads like this. 4 wins 3 draws and 3 losses. 2 of those losses came in Southend's relegation of 2009/10 when the Gills won in both the league and JP Trophy at home.

Southend have won four matches in a row and will be looking for 5 in a row for the first time since October 2011 when they won 5 in a row in the month of October.

Gillingham only lost 6 times last year and so far are undefeated in 3 games at home.

Southend on the other hand had the best record away from home amassing 41 points from their 23 matches away from home.

MY TIP:

After starting slow, Southend have started to show the form that lead many to believe them to be the amongst the favourites for the League Two title. However they face a side who hasn't been defeated and has only drawn one game out of their first six. The key to this match is how the defences deal with each danger man. If one gets a hold of the oppositions danger striker, then they will more than likely to win the match. Honestly I can see all three results happening but Southend have been impressive in the last few games and while Gillingham have played well, they have also played against sides at the bottom of the league. I'm going to go for a shock result tonight and I think Southend will end up winning the match.

Prediction: 1-2 Southend.

There might be something in that Dave but you'd also have to add to that that Spicer had a bit of a mare on Saturday. I think this is what lead to Sturrock switching us back to a 4-5-1 as we were getting overrun in midfield. We all know that we're crying out for a defensive minded midfielder and I think until we get one in then we're going to struggle in tough away games such as tonight.

Sturrock has no choice but to go 4-5-1 tonight IMO.

Still very 50-50 whether I make the trip or not, but I'd take a draw right now although I would love to nick a win!

It's 50 mins on the train from Victoria for me and a 20 minute journey home after that so no excuses really. That said I'll be going on my todd and these journeys seem that much longer when you don't get a result.

I'll be there tonight though.

For any #Southend fans heading over early to Gillingham - Due to a death at Rayleigh Station, there are severe delays on the L'pool St line.

Owing to a person hit by a train at Rayleigh all lines are blocked.
Impact:
Train services running through this station may be cancelled or delayed by up to 60 mins at short notice. An estimate for the resumption of normal services will be provided as soon as the problem has been fully assessed.
Customer Advice:
London Underground, TFL buses and C2C are accepting Greater Anglia ticket holders until further notice.

Message Received :18/09/2012 13:13

Wasn't going to go but looking at the forecast for tonight it looks like no rain and not too breezy with a low of about 12C up to the end of the game so think I'll wander over. Didn't fancy being perched on the scaffolding with a gale blowing rain in my face.:nope:

If anyone is going down from London by train and then needs to get back to Southend after the game and fancies a lift then I'll have a couple of seats spare, just find Scott and he'll point me out if you don't know me.:winking:

Following a person hit by a train earlier at Rayleigh all lines are now open.
Impact:
Train services running through this station may be cancelled or delayed by up to 30 mins at short notice. Disruption is expected until 15:00 18/09.
Customer Advice:
London Underground, TFL buses and C2C are accepting Greater Anglia ticket holders until further notice.Message Received :18/09/2012 13:47

Won't be more than 500 of ours there. The vicious combination of work and the QEII bridge puts paid to most people's chances of getting there.

Back