• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
Gillingham 1-2 Southend United

SOUTHEND United returned to winning ways and the top of the League Two table with a 2-1 triumph at Gillingham tonight.
H.19.4

More...

Was better tonight but not much. Good strength by Dicko for 1st goal and great cross by Martin for 2nd. But why do we sit on leads??? Surely we shouldve learnt from Plymouth the other week. Thought Mohsni was man of match, not Ferdinand, as he won a lot of important headers. Another not very convincing performance all round though but 3 points! UTB!!

Just got in from The Railway .. good crowd in and a very enjoyable first half followed by a second where i bit my fingernails down to the elbow .. its matches like that that make me want to start smoking again :smile:

I thought we were gonna get 5 or 6 the way we played the first half hour but we seemed to sit back second half and invite pressure, terrific goal from Tomlin you got to say but thankfully it was merely a consolation

That could be a big BIG win come seasons end methinks

:loyalsupporter: :loyalsupporter:

It feels so good to finally write up a match report!
Firstly I must say, we play a very ugly style of football, I was aware of this but did not expect it to be this ugly but I do accept that we are in a league were the ugly are victorious so aslong as we keep winning, I'm not complaining!! :)
First Half we were all over them, very impressive! Mohsni won everything in the air and should be kept in our attacking line up, rather than defensive as he is quite creative! Martin looked lively, but has to work on his defensive duties, but when we are on the break he looks the goods! May I ask why everyone gives Dicko stick? Cut him some slack, he is a brilliant Lg 2 player and took his goal well, he also held the ball up which was good to see. The three midfielders did there jobs, Kane played particularly well and Kalala (MOM) won every header and broke up nearly all of there attacking build ups! Timlin was average for me, but when called upon he did his job! Finally the back 4, very solid espescially Barker and Phillips! Prosser played well and Clohessy gave it his all! Morris did his job and was not at fault for there goal!
Very happy to see a Southend win, bring on Crawley at Roots Hall :)
Morris = 6.5
Clohessy = 6.5
Phillips = 7.0
Barker = 7.0
Prosser = 7.0
Kalala = 8.0 MOM
Ferdinand = 7.5
Timlin = 6.5
Mohsni = 7.5
Martin = 7.0
Dicko = 7.5

Hall = 6.5
Sampson = 6.5

prosser dealt with kuffour who i thought was their most dangerous player very well. deserves to keep his place

As I said on another thread I 'd rather be top of the table with even games played. So we must be wary of that and not get carried away. Amazing how before this match a lot were saying we were in real trouble and one workmanlike display and we are definetly going up. Interesting to see how tuesdays results pan out.

Great to come away with 3 points. Definitely edged it first half but produced nothing 2nd. Still, all we needed was 3 points and we got that. If we can sort out our home form (I'd play morris-clohessy-phillips-barker-prosser-hall-kalala-timlin-martin-benyon-dickinson) then we have a chance. 48 points left up for grabs, anything could happen.

Good selection by Sturrock I thought.

Ratings:
Morris 7
Clohessy 7
Phillips 7.5
Barker 6.5
Prosser 7
Kalala 7
Timlin 7
Ferdinand 7.5
Mohsni 8
Martin 7.5
Dickinson 8.5

PS 9

Interestingly last time we beat Gillingham we went on a 17 match unbeaten run. Anyone believe?

I thought we were workmanlike tonight and played both professionally and with our hearts which was a complete transformation from the embarrassment of friday. The heart in the performance gives me heart for the battle ahead. Now lets just hope a few results go our way tomorrow

Up the blues

Being at the game was not a realistic option but Sky TV presented an opportunity to view from a pub. After Friday's debacle I knew I'd need a few beers if I were to watch it but I had to drive so I restricted myself to the second half.

First I made sure the local in Hadleigh (the Suffolk one) had the game on. They didn't but I persuaded them that if they were to change channels they would gain the valuable custom of two more punters on a dreary Monday night. After some mutterings about Coronation Street 'being really good at the moment' they agreed, so Shrimper the dog and me made our way there - he had two bags of pork scratchings, half a Guinness and a fight with the landlord's new puppy whilst I negotiated sound to go with the pictures and a turning down of the Jukebox much to the disdain of the local darts team ('we loike the musaac, it helps Nobby frow is arrows straight if he does it to Dolly Parton').

When we got there the pub was packed. Ten minutes later and we were the only two at the bar, the darts team retreating to their board and the other locals deciding it was time to go. The landlord took his wimpering hound upstairs.

Suffolk Shrimper Junior texted me from a Chelmsford pub. He had managed to persuaded eight Uni mates that it was necessary to go out drinking on a Monday night - probably not the hardest of sells though there would have been more he told me had it not been for the Sky Sports fest. Still, they were all having fun it seemed. He told me how brilliant the first half was.

So, back to the hush of sleepy Suffolk drinking holes where Shrimper and I had settled in to watching 50 mins of hoofball tedium. Two Sarfend shots wide of the mark in a display of 'playing to the manager's orders'. Lovely. The barmaid, all tits and teeth, told me she supported Arsenal and that League Two soccer was ***** in comparison to the offerings at the Emirates. Despite having a Grade A qualification in Sarfend bias I could not disagree.

Ten minutes to go and Shrimper was looking worried. The Guinness had worked its way through and he needed a ****. No chance, we were now at the crucial part. He started barking, the local Darts team looked angry (they were getting stuffed by a team from the allotments) so I gave in and took him out to drown the landlords pot of winter pansies. I came back in and it was 2-1. Bugger, here we go again. The Arsenal barmaid told me it was a goal worthy of the Emirates. 'We are top of the league' I said in retaliation mindful that I might be tempting fate but wanting to say something back in retort which she could not claim.

Anyway, a few minutes of nail biting nothingness passed and we had won. I punched the air in delight and disturbed the still dangling Christmas decorations. The Allotment team were dancing too, it was their first win of the season. 'You can stick your ****ing carrots up your arse' Nobby blurted out at the jubilant victors. I could sense trouble brewing. Time to go, Shrimper barked at the dancing cabbage growers and we retreated out in to the Suffolk night.

UTB

Style of football -0
Result - 10

Keeps our hopes of promotion up. My god the football was dire though. thought i was watching a game of tennis!
2nd Half Gillinham played football, we were stout & commited enough to hold on, which was good to see after the plymouth fiasco, another 20 minutes tho and who knows.

ugly, but it has been all season, i'll just take the three points gladly.

i only watched on sky but thought first half was excellent and second half we were trying to hang on due to confidence my ratings would be
Morris = 6 kicking could have been better
Clohessy = 7 ran the channel well
Phillips = 8 was missed won everything in the air
Barker = 8 back to near his best coincidence Phillips was back?
Prosser = 7 better than gilly for me by a mile
Kalala = 7 worked hard nothing needed from him
Ferdinand = 8 for me after dicko was best player works better behind striker then cm
Timlin = 6 didnt see much of him but ran alot
Mohsni = 8 some good tackles one particularly and what about his ball for 2nd goal
Martin = 7.0 worked hard did well for goal
Dicko = 9 worked so hard nearly everything stuck to him very impressed would of took him off about 70mins tho thought tired.

Hall = 6 not much time but chased ball down well in end
Sampson = 6

I'm actually really annoyed with them, walking out of RH on Friday there was no way in a million years i was going to go to Morecambe, even though it'd mean i could "tick off" number 90 of the current 92 .. now that win has rekindled my passion a little and now feel more inclined to travel

Hopefully we'll get dicked 3-0 by Crewe to knock this senseless idea from my head :thump:

I'm actually really annoyed with them, walking out of RH on Friday there was no way in a million years i was going to go to Morecambe, even though it'd mean i could "tick off" number 90 of the current 92 .. now that win has rekindled my passion a little and now feel more inclined to travel

Hopefully we'll get dicked 3-0 by Crewe to knock this senseless idea from my head :thump:

Nope. You know you need to go to Morecambe. It's calling you. 90 is a magic number, only two left then. And if we go up we won't play them for at least another season, poss many more, so if you ever want to tick it off the list you'll have to trek up there on your todd to see a midless match v Burton or similar, and that would be no proper way of marking the 92 achievement.

Besides, I treked up there last season for a similar reason and we were hopeless. So I don't see why you shouldn't suffer too.:smile:

I'm going, if that helps you make up your mind!:smile:

1st half brillant, I k now they made changes but why not attack attack attack second half. If we could ahve got three it was game over

the difference between friday and today----Phillips and effrt effort effort.
Dickinson should ahve come off after 70 mins as he was either knackered (which would be fair) or back to little effort.
Hall did not do much when he came in, nothig to regain his position IMO
Moshni great I thought
Real game of two halfs, 1st half wae were all ove them
Second half was squeaky bottom time for last 10 mins, but I dont think anyone can say we did not deserve to win.

roll on saturday

Maybe, I was in a dream world - but surely so were the Sky types to award Kane MOM. Dickinson for some reason also edges Bilel out on most ratings here. How in God's name is that possible?
When a header was needed to be won: Bilel won it. When a foot needed to divert the ball away: it was Bilel's.
When any kind of meaninful threat forward was needed in the second half: Bilel was there.
His pass carved out the crucial second, and fittingly the ball was at his feet when the final whistle blew.
Not a pretty game, but if it's effect you're after, mad Moshni for me.

I thought Kalala was immense tonight and it was between him and Dicko for the MOM. Kane had some nice touches and involved in the second goal but thought Dicko worked his socks off up front and Kalala won a lot and passing was better than normal.

First half performance was comfortable due to how woefully Gillingham were playing IMO. I thought Martin played well again and has to be a permanent fixture in the side for me. A goal against Plymouth and also involved in a lot we did that day and an assist tonight. That said this would give Sturrock a problem as I can't see him playing 4-4-2 with 2 wingers away from home so we'll probably run with one or the other away and possibly both when at Roots Hall.

Hopefully we can take some confidence from this performance. It wasn't fantastic by any stretch but we really worked hard as a team tonight and only a moment of brilliance from Tomlin beat our defence. I thought other than that we looked fairly solid under pressure.

Back