• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeah I think that's true, Kalala was good today, quiet and effective. Ferdinand disappeared in the second half, Timlin was pretty quiet.

Many of us have been critical of Luggy in the past few weeks, but he turned it around tonight. He, and only he, is responsible for the results and if players don't do what he says why should he take the flack. He did the right thing and made the changes like he said he would. Not only did that inspire a result, but this has sent a message to the whole squad that he calls the shots..

Morris 7...Looks a little nervy from the last couple of weeks, but I think he's a decent keeper for this level.

Clohessy 7...Tidy as usual
Phillips 7.5...Great to have him back
Barker 6.5...Much better with Phillips there.
Prosser 7...I thought he did ok (vast improvement on Gilbert). Good in the air.
Kalala 7...Broke up play well. Gritty display
Timlin 6.5...Not his best game, but always grafts hard.
Ferdinand 7..Had a decent game. Likes this role.
Mohsni 7.5...Great aerial power, a range of passing and bags of passion (and kept his cool). Well done Bil
Martin 7.5...Gives us much better balance. Should never have been dropped.
Dickinson 8...Really good performance. Worked his yellow boots off tonight.

Subs : Hall...6.5 Not on long, but did his job.
Sampson...6.5 as above

Sturrock 9...Take a bow

prosser dealt with kuffour who i thought was their most dangerous player very well. deserves to keep his place

After that performance i never want to see Gilbert again even if Prosser has a bad game. Adds so much more aerially and gets stuck in better. Distribution not quite as bad either so it's bye bye Eric your time is up after numerous chances to prove that you are a League footballer!

Dickinson should ahve come off after 70 mins as he was either knackered (which would be fair) or back to little effort.

I think he was shattered. 70 mins as the lone striker. I really hope the crowd get behind him at home on Saturday because he looks so much more relaxed playing away from home. He's had some shockers but the abuse he gets won't help matters.

i thought first half there was only one team trying to play football, the gills showed the meaning of hoofball, we looked composed and threatening up top with mohsni causing chaos and dicko working his socks off. 2nd half gillingham looked like they had made 11 subs as they started stroking the ball around with confidence but no real threat, they scored a very good goal but the defence held firm for three points.
positives from the game....good shape and work rate meant morris had a pretty quiet night (couple of moments in 2nd half aside) dickinson was my MOM by a mile and took his goal well. Kane ferdinand playing as a 2nd striker almost???? possibly his best performance for months and months, a good win when really needed i think tonight could prove to be one of the biggest of the season.
Negatives....we looked a tad jaded 2nd half I know we played friday etc etc but this lead to our work rate dropping allowing the gills to play. Timlin for whatever reason just isnt shining as he was earlier in the season.

I think he was shattered. 70 mins as the lone striker. I really hope the crowd get behind him at home on Saturday because he looks so much more relaxed playing away from home. He's had some shockers but the abuse he gets won't help matters.

Here here. Although I'd suggest we get behind the whole team on Saturday and make Roots Hall a less nervy place to be as it has to affect the performances.

Atmosphere is completely different away from home. At home the players can hear all the stupid shouts and every groan, away is far more positive. I don't get the Dicko abuse, he is clearly better than L2 and if he left Southend I bet a whole host of clubs would sign him. Yet our fans treat him like a donkey. He does the donkey workhe wins headers, has a good touch and even though he often plays isolated he scores plenty as well.

I have never seen anyone as surprised as when Dicko heard the away fans at Plymouth singing his name. His reaction was priceless. Our home fans destroy him, he has been a huge part of our ten (videprinter: TEN) away wins this year.

I thought tonight was a display of a team that has the character to go forward and bother the top three. We have not won in 4 games but away from home our performances have never been in question and the first 45 minutes vindicated Sturrock's changes - Prosser was immense, Ferdinand had a hand in both goals and got into the positions that he had been doing earlier in the season, Martin caused all sorts of problems and Phillips brought back some composure to the back line.

Second half we dropped deep - a mark of a team lacking in confidence - but still defended well. I counted two shots on target from Gills in the second half. Their goal was a wonder-strike. We saw it out although I did fear for us after Plymouth.

A gutsy display, I never expected a spectacle but all that counts is we restore our belief and confidence. Having grown up on three away wins a season in the 90s, I'm a firm believer that you should never sniff at an away win. Hopefully we can push on.

Morris 5
Clohessy 6
Prosser 7
Phillips 7
Barker 5
Kalala 5
Timlin 6
Ferdinand 7
Martin 6
Mohsni 6
Dickinson 8

Kane's return was huge. His off the ball movement made such a difference - just look at his role in both goals. But his prize asset is his decision making, repeatedly making the right call and reading the game which all makes it look easy. God knows why we were wasting him on the bench. It may be controversial to say it, but he's a better player than Hall.
Kalala breaks up plenty of attacks, but mainly ours. He manages to slice pretty much everything - even headers. He's repeatedly guilty of chasing the ball and getting dragged out of position. He needs to lose to close without losing the team's shape. Kane would be a good player to learn that off.

Dickinson's work-rate was immense, but should have been subbed 10 minutes earlier. That was a costly mistake as he got booked in that time and he's coming up to another suspension. He's been a huge player for us this year.

Not sure what happened to Mohsni towards the end of the game but he stopped running and closing down. Don't know whether he was injured, knackered or just being lazy.

Maybe, I was in a dream world - but surely so were the Sky types to award Kane MOM. Dickinson for some reason also edges Bilel out on most ratings here. How in God's name is that possible?
When a header was needed to be won: Bilel won it. When a foot needed to divert the ball away: it was Bilel's.
When any kind of meaninful threat forward was needed in the second half: Bilel was there.
His pass carved out the crucial second, and fittingly the ball was at his feet when the final whistle blew.
Not a pretty game, but if it's effect you're after, mad Moshni for me.

Totally agree..... Moshni was the MOTM for me!

Yeah I think that's true, Kalala was good today, quiet and effective. Ferdinand disappeared in the second half, Timlin was pretty quiet.

Kalala was everywhere I agree... but Moshni was MOTM for me... Timlin since he signed has been too quiet for my liking...not the loan player that was playing for a contract earlier in the season.:thumbdown:

I personally thought Prosser had a good game and deserves to keep his place, but lets be fair, he was badly at fault for there goal (by diving in on the edge of the box, when he should have stood his ground).

Now I only mention this because if Gilbert had done it, there would be 23 postings of how rubbish he did.

Same 11 for me next game, though I'm concerned about the earlier post about Martin :sad:

1st half was impressive, we kept the ball on the ground and we scored two goals. 2nd was diabolical - Gillingham (apart from the last 10) were appalling. All we did was hoof it up the ground, and surprise surprise it comes straight back. A better team would have crucified us.

Morris 5
Clohessy 6
Prosser 7
Phillips 7
Barker 5
Kalala 5
Timlin 6
Ferdinand 7
Martin 6
Mohsni 6
Dickinson 8

Kane's return was huge. His off the ball movement made such a difference - just look at his role in both goals. But his prize asset is his decision making, repeatedly making the right call and reading the game which all makes it look easy. God knows why we were wasting him on the bench. It may be controversial to say it, but he's a better player than Hall.
Kalala breaks up plenty of attacks, but mainly ours. He manages to slice pretty much everything - even headers. He's repeatedly guilty of chasing the ball and getting dragged out of position. He needs to lose to close without losing the team's shape. Kane would be a good player to learn that off.

Dickinson's work-rate was immense, but should have been subbed 10 minutes earlier. That was a costly mistake as he got booked in that time and he's coming up to another suspension. He's been a huge player for us this year.

Not sure what happened to Mohsni towards the end of the game but he stopped running and closing down. Don't know whether he was injured, knackered or just being lazy.

Di you watch the same game. Morris did evrything expected of him, had no chance with the goal and other than that was solid. Barker, best game for weeks and him and Phillps together are the best partnership we have. Martin, was excellant whilst on the pitch and set up the second goal brilliantly then went off injured second half. JPK was everywhere and played the position 100% and finally Moshni was arguably the MOM. Anyone getting less than 7s last nite can feel hard done by.

Morris 5
Clohessy 6
Prosser 7
Phillips 7
Barker 5
Kalala 5
Timlin 6
Ferdinand 7
Martin 6
Mohsni 6
Dickinson 8

I think I must have been at a different game.

I thought Dave Martin and Bilel were absolutely brilliant and JPK did the job asked of him. Also I thought Chris Barker looked so much more assured with Mark Phillips back. It shows just how much we have missed him as the defence looked so much more solid and assured. A special mention for Luke Prosser who I thought was great. Well done.

Shows how opinions differ.

Back