• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

One thing I forgot to mention earlie was on Ryan Hall.

He is totally out of sorts. Doesn't look interested at all.

So frustrating as if we could get him and Martin performing on either side we'd look very good out wide.

Did we recieve a bid in January and he's got the ache we turned it down?

I did hear a week or so back (Smiffy can verify this) that he was trying to find out what the club had on offer new contract wise for him and he was not getting much response, so maybe weighing up his options for next year? it should not put him off his game though, surely he would want to be playing.

I did hear a week or so back (Smiffy can verify this) that he was trying to find out what the club had on offer new contract wise for him and he was not getting much response, so maybe weighing up his options for next year? it should not put him off his game though, surely he would want to be playing.

Yep, if that were the case you'd think he'd want to be putting himself in the shop window.

Being a shadow of the player we know he is since the 'personal problems' saw him on the bench away at Shrewsbury.

Teams have definately "doubled up" on him recently .. probably since the Oxford double header .. and that has negated his influence massively

When you do player ratings state if you were at the game or if you watched on the box, maybe an idea for the Crawley game as id be interested to see the differing opinions!

Thought we just bossed the whole game!

I put in another thread how impressed I am with Kane's development, centre back to DCM to Attacking midfield! Just needs to find more consistency!

Dicko was very effective, I really like him anyway, but everything he did last night was good! And a cut on the head for good measure!

Mohsni - the lad is absolutely brilliant, and he has certainly proved you can't not have him in the side!

I was a bit disappointed with Martin at times, but he did what mattered and got us a goal, he still did okay, and I suppose we just don't get the ball to him enough!
The only criticism I have towards Sturrock (if you can call it a criticism) is that it frustrates me that we have signed Dave Martin on his attacking abilities which he has a lot, a good left foot, pace and cross, but he defends first before he plays his natural attacking game! But I guess that's why we are top!

Everyone of those players were committed to the win last night!

So much pressure when gills had the ball Barcelona esk in that respect!

Good solid display and we needed it!

Get in!

I watched on the box by the way!

I know your always rose tinted dave, but we clealy didnt boss the 2nd half!

And I thought Martin looked pretty decent tbh.

A magnificent and much needed result. I think it was a back to basics, no frills, no nonsense away performance and we were very comfortable mainly apart from a mad, scary last 10 minutes. Such are the fine margins in football, at Plymouth a shot comes in and hits the post and they score and we bemoan us throwing away a lead, being careless etc. Last night in a similar position, Weston scuffs his shot and we can laud a hard working, battling performance.

I think we did have a big advantage coming into the match in that Gills hadn't played for over 2 weeks and would be rusty and we took advantage superbly, pressed them high up the pitch, closed them down and scored 2 lovely goals. The key was having the excellent Kane back in the side, a wonderful footballer, a class act and he worked very well with Dicko who was much better than of late to be fair. Its absolutely criminal to keep on leaving a player of Kane's class out of the side and I really hope he will now start the last 16 games. I do accept that he is better suited to a 4-3-3 but the same applies to Kalala and this is why I advocated this formation before the Rotherham game as it suits the players we have here best. You cannot play someone of JPK's ilk in a 2 man midfield, you concede far too much ground and put too much emphasis on the other player there.

Back four was far more solid, we missed Phillips far more than I anticipated and Barker seemed to be inspired by his presence and Prosser was very solid too apart from the goal. Mohsni was again brilliant and produced the pass of the match for the 2nd goal and made some vital headers at the end in a defensive role. Mohnsi always does things that count in both boxes, forget the passion, he is a brilliant footballer and i think he brings the best out on Dicko as he can win some of the high balls. I do accept he may have tired at the end but he did have a mouth infection on Friday and he may not have fully recovered from that.

For all its faults the team must be congratulated for the away record, 10 wins from the first 15 games is astonishing and unprecedented. Now the task is to improve the home form which has been pretty poor of late. I would be looking for at least 5 wins from the last 8 games and maybe we need to pass the ball more and vary our play a bit more.

Morris 6 - Not much to do, dealt with everything competently.

Clohessy 7 - Usual steady self and good cross for the 1st goal.

Prosser 7 - Solid, very good in the air but got beaten by Tomlin for the goal.

Phillips 7 - Badly missed and restored a bit of calm to the defence.

Barker 7 - Much more solid with Phillips alongside him.

Kalala 5 - Poor again, worked hard but committed too many fouls, gave the ball away and sliced clearances. Should have stopped Tomlin for the goal.

Timlin 6 - Hard working but average

Martin 6 - Delayed the cross too long for the 2nd goal but nice ball when it came. Not much else.

Mohsni 8 MOM - brilliant again, both defending and attacking.

Ferdinand 8 - Wonderful performance, involved in both goals, took up great positions, closed them down and lovely passing. Welcome back.

Dickinson 7 - Much better, worked very hard and good goal.

Hall and Sampson 6

Happy Valentines Day Wiggy. Hope you got my card.

Sent from work's IBM Thinkpad using internet explorer.

Have been avoiding the Shrimpers ChitChat in recent weeks, so missed all your comments on Morris when he was at fault against Plymouth and the shocker he had v Swindon.

Internet Explorer? Move on grandad, no wonder you're stuck in the dark ages with ya team ramblings!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Being at the game was not a realistic option but Sky TV presented an opportunity to view from a pub. After Friday's debacle I knew I'd need a few beers if I were to watch it but I had to drive so I restricted myself to the second half.

First I made sure the local in Hadleigh (the Suffolk one) had the game on. They didn't but I persuaded them that if they were to change channels they would gain the valuable custom of two more punters on a dreary Monday night. After some mutterings about Coronation Street 'being really good at the moment' they agreed, so Shrimper the dog and me made our way there - he had two bags of pork scratchings, half a Guinness and a fight with the landlord's new puppy whilst I negotiated sound to go with the pictures and a turning down of the Jukebox much to the disdain of the local darts team ('we loike the musaac, it helps Nobby frow is arrows straight if he does it to Dolly Parton').

When we got there the pub was packed. Ten minutes later and we were the only two at the bar, the darts team retreating to their board and the other locals deciding it was time to go. The landlord took his wimpering hound upstairs.

Suffolk Shrimper Junior texted me from a Chelmsford pub. He had managed to persuaded eight Uni mates that it was necessary to go out drinking on a Monday night - probably not the hardest of sells though there would have been more he told me had it not been for the Sky Sports fest. Still, they were all having fun it seemed. He told me how brilliant the first half was.

So, back to the hush of sleepy Suffolk drinking holes where Shrimper and I had settled in to watching 50 mins of hoofball tedium. Two Sarfend shots wide of the mark in a display of 'playing to the manager's orders'. Lovely. The barmaid, all tits and teeth, told me she supported Arsenal and that League Two soccer was ***** in comparison to the offerings at the Emirates. Despite having a Grade A qualification in Sarfend bias I could not disagree.

Ten minutes to go and Shrimper was looking worried. The Guinness had worked its way through and he needed a ****. No chance, we were now at the crucial part. He started barking, the local Darts team looked angry (they were getting stuffed by a team from the allotments) so I gave in and took him out to drown the landlords pot of winter pansies. I came back in and it was 2-1. Bugger, here we go again. The Arsenal barmaid told me it was a goal worthy of the Emirates. 'We are top of the league' I said in retaliation mindful that I might be tempting fate but wanting to say something back in retort which she could not claim.

Anyway, a few minutes of nail biting nothingness passed and we had won. I punched the air in delight and disturbed the still dangling Christmas decorations. The Allotment team were dancing too, it was their first win of the season. 'You can stick your ****ing carrots up your arse' Nobby blurted out at the jubilant victors. I could sense trouble brewing. Time to go, Shrimper barked at the dancing cabbage growers and we retreated out in to the Suffolk night.

UTB

This might have got lost in the euphoria of a win and many posting at the same time. Very funny post that made me chuckle!

Mohnsi always does things that count in both boxes, forget the passion, he is a brilliant footballer and i think he brings the best out on Dicko as he can win some of the high balls. I do accept he may have tired at the end but he did have a mouth infection on Friday and he may not have fully recovered from that.

Dicko or Bilel?

Both tired considerably.

I thought Bilel was looking uncharacteristcally subdued in the second half of the second half. He spent quite a bit of time just standing there which is unlike him. Dicko was more a case of running himself into the ground.

Internet Explorer? Move on grandad, no wonder you're stuck in the dark ages with ya team ramblings!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Thanks Wiggles, but flattered as I am that you think I set the global IT policy for a Fortune 500 company, that's a decision taken elsewhere.

Sent from work's IBM Thinkpad using work mandated internet explorer.

I think with Dicko it is chicken and egg. Thought on Friday he looked uninterested but on Monday looked like he was playing for his life. The trouble is the home crowd will respond to perceived lack of effort which in turn will get him down. I would like to see 60 mins of running himself into the ground & I am sure the crowd will lift him. We can then replace him with one of the many forwards we have.

Whilst I appreciate that I may see Bilel through rose tinted glasses he continues to be so important to us. He is such a threat & scares defences. I am sure MP has benefitted from the focus on Bilel meaning he can pop up almost undetected.

Thanks for the entertainment Wiggy & YB.....very funny :hilarious:

Dicko or Bilel?

Both tired considerably.

I thought Bilel was looking uncharacteristcally subdued in the second half of the second half. He spent quite a bit of time just standing there which is unlike him. Dicko was more a case of running himself into the ground.

Bilel. He was going to see a doctor before the Rotherham game as it was a little uncomfortable, dont know whether 2 games in 3 days took its toll or not.

Being at the game was not a realistic option but Sky TV presented an opportunity to view from a pub. After Friday's debacle I knew I'd need a few beers if I were to watch it but I had to drive so I restricted myself to the second half.

First I made sure the local in Hadleigh (the Suffolk one) had the game on. They didn't but I persuaded them that if they were to change channels they would gain the valuable custom of two more punters on a dreary Monday night. After some mutterings about Coronation Street 'being really good at the moment' they agreed, so Shrimper the dog and me made our way there - he had two bags of pork scratchings, half a Guinness and a fight with the landlord's new puppy whilst I negotiated sound to go with the pictures and a turning down of the Jukebox much to the disdain of the local darts team ('we loike the musaac, it helps Nobby frow is arrows straight if he does it to Dolly Parton').

When we got there the pub was packed. Ten minutes later and we were the only two at the bar, the darts team retreating to their board and the other locals deciding it was time to go. The landlord took his wimpering hound upstairs.

Suffolk Shrimper Junior texted me from a Chelmsford pub. He had managed to persuaded eight Uni mates that it was necessary to go out drinking on a Monday night - probably not the hardest of sells though there would have been more he told me had it not been for the Sky Sports fest. Still, they were all having fun it seemed. He told me how brilliant the first half was.

So, back to the hush of sleepy Suffolk drinking holes where Shrimper and I had settled in to watching 50 mins of hoofball tedium. Two Sarfend shots wide of the mark in a display of 'playing to the manager's orders'. Lovely. The barmaid, all tits and teeth, told me she supported Arsenal and that League Two soccer was ***** in comparison to the offerings at the Emirates. Despite having a Grade A qualification in Sarfend bias I could not disagree.

Ten minutes to go and Shrimper was looking worried. The Guinness had worked its way through and he needed a ****. No chance, we were now at the crucial part. He started barking, the local Darts team looked angry (they were getting stuffed by a team from the allotments) so I gave in and took him out to drown the landlords pot of winter pansies. I came back in and it was 2-1. Bugger, here we go again. The Arsenal barmaid told me it was a goal worthy of the Emirates. 'We are top of the league' I said in retaliation mindful that I might be tempting fate but wanting to say something back in retort which she could not claim.

Anyway, a few minutes of nail biting nothingness passed and we had won. I punched the air in delight and disturbed the still dangling Christmas decorations. The Allotment team were dancing too, it was their first win of the season. 'You can stick your ****ing carrots up your arse' Nobby blurted out at the jubilant victors. I could sense trouble brewing. Time to go, Shrimper barked at the dancing cabbage growers and we retreated out in to the Suffolk night.

UTB

Superb read. Very amusing.

Dont think the stat that CP tweeted is surprising. Every game that Dicko has scored we have won. When he plays well the whole team seems to click.

Back