• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Give me Strength - Depression, Anxiety, Stress et al.

If any one feeling low and need a cheap break then pm me for a quiet break away from people country walking eating good food relaxing chilling drinking wine and just recharging your batterys to face another week and lots of listening and a bit of talking thrown in.
Good luck guys.

If any one feeling low and need a cheap break then pm me for a quiet break away from people country walking eating good food relaxing chilling drinking wine and just recharging your batterys to face another week and lots of listening and a bit of talking thrown in.
Good luck guys.
that's a very kind offer you've made to the forum mate.

It is, I've just located Berrichonne on the map, now checking Eurostar. :smile:

eurostar is only half the journey,flying can be as cheap as £20 return.
We are rebuilding a house next to ours and id like to have drunks druggies or lefties to stay so we can help to straighten them out,a kind of poor mans pirory.
At the mo we manage a gite and if you are feeling low trust me its bliss just being somewhere quiet,no traffic great to relax flights are cheap and the owner only charges £50 per day sleeps 8 so 4 of you works out at£12.50 a day.
Down side is i might take you to a berrichonne game.

For some reason I thought Department 36 was further east going towards Dijon, but it's a lot more central than I thought. I've never worked out how the French work out their department numbers.

For some reason I thought Department 36 was further east going towards Dijon, but it's a lot more central than I thought. I've never worked out how the French work out their department numbers.

Certainly a strange one as Herault,(down by the Med.) is Department 34, where my wife comes from(and also the number we have on our car).I'll ask her at lunchtime.
(ps it's snowing here in SC so obviously not a good time to visit).:winking:

As far as i am aware the depts of France are alphabetical by number,its not rocket science and has nothing to do with depression as far as im aware.
Checked and can confirm the above is indeed the truth,unless you know different but its true.

Certainly a strange one as Herault,(down by the Med.) is Department 34, where my wife comes from(and also the number we have on our car).I'll ask her at lunchtime.
(ps it's snowing here in SC so obviously not a good time to visit).:winking:

As far as i am aware the depts of France are alphabetical by number,its not rocket science and has nothing to do with depression as far as im aware.
Checked and can confirm the above is indeed the truth,unless you know different but its true.

Right you are.http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/france-departments/
Normally, I'd say that snow is depressing but I've just heard that my pm classes at the UAB have been cancelled.:happy:
http://www.uab.es/

thank you for bringing attention to this to everyone, I used to poo poo the idea of depression yet here I am
having those very feelings myself.

I served in the Falklands war (although Maggie called it a conflict) I was on the HMS Coventry type 42 class
as some of you my know she was sunk on 20th May 1982. 283 myself included servived 19 of my shipmates
sadly died, as we get nearer to the 30th anervasary of that day I find im having more down days thinking of
all those that perished on both sides during that "conflict" something that has never happened before it just
goes to show you never know when it will creep up on you.

Im sure I will get through this just having an oppotunaty to talk about it on here has helped.
Its a great thread I for one will certainly react differantly when I hear someone is suffering with
depression

I am really pleased that already many people have said that this thread is a good idea. Passing on my experience and helping people to understand the feelings they may experience is crucial to helping those around us cope.

What people do not realise is that depression is an illness! It should be treated like an illness. It is not just a case of people not being mentally strong enough to cope, it is brought about by a chemical imbalance of seretonin in the brain. Behaviours shown are not in line with those expected of an individual because of this illness.

If you look at the amount of people in the media that have recently admitted to having suffered with depression and then the amount of people that have spoken out on this thread you will see that you are by no means alone. Some stats that I pulled from the mental health org which may surprise you are as follows:

• 1 in 4 people will experience some kind of mental health problem in the course of a year
  • Mixed anxiety and depression is the most common mental disorder in Britain
  • Women are more likely to have been treated for a mental health problem than men
  • About 10% of children have a mental health problem at any one time
  • Depression affects 1 in 5 older people
  • Suicides rates show that British men are three times as likely to die by suicide than British women
  • Self-harm statistics for the UK show one of the highest rates in Europe: 400 per 100,000 population
  • Only 1 in 10 prisoners has no mental disorder

Please please speak to people, so many have experienced it and understanding depression or a mental health problem is a very big part of the problem!

I am really pleased that already many people have said that this thread is a good idea. Passing on my experience and helping people to understand the feelings they may experience is crucial to helping those around us cope.

What people do not realise is that depression is an illness! It should be treated like an illness. It is not just a case of people not being mentally strong enough to cope, it is brought about by a chemical imbalance of seretonin in the brain. Behaviours shown are not in line with those expected of an individual because of this illness.

If you look at the amount of people in the media that have recently admitted to having suffered with depression and then the amount of people that have spoken out on this thread you will see that you are by no means alone. Some stats that I pulled from the mental health org which may surprise you are as follows:
  • 1 in 4 people will experience some kind of mental health problem in the course of a year
  • Mixed anxiety and depression is the most common mental disorder in Britain
  • Women are more likely to have been treated for a mental health problem than men
  • About 10% of children have a mental health problem at any one time
  • Depression affects 1 in 5 older people
  • Suicides rates show that British men are three times as likely to die by suicide than British women
  • Self-harm statistics for the UK show one of the highest rates in Europe: 400 per 100,000 population
  • Only 1 in 10 prisoners has no mental disorder
Please please speak to people, so many have experienced it and understanding depression or a mental health problem is a very big part of the problem!

Hats off to you Greg for your courage in talking about this on a public forum. Depression is one of those illnesses that can suddenly creep up on you and really take you by surprise. My own experience of it first time around (in 1994) came about as a result of finding myself in a situation that I was not equipped to manage - being in a new place (Cornwall), doing Child Protection work, being in a relationship which I was not prepared to admit being unhappy in and uncertainty surrounding my employment and what I could do if I jacked in the job I was struggling in. Like Osy said, a large part of it relates to loss issues - and mine related to stuff going way back in my family history as well as setting myself targets that I couldn't hope to achieve and beating myself up about it when I felt that I'd failed again. I'd previously worked in mental health as a psychiatric nurse and in a LA mental health centre, so I was aware of what was happening, but still felt powerless to do much about it until I got help through attending an anxiety management group and learnt about Seligman's theory of 'learned helplessness' and the cognitive behavioural approach of confronting 'ANTS,' ie. automatic negative thoughts. It took several months to find the happy me again and a change in my work situation but I came through it despite some grim scenarios where I thought about leaving the stage early.

I had a relapse about nine months ago but luckily not to the same degree and this occurred as a result of exhaustion involved with work problems (as I'd been doing a lot of overtime trying to resolve money issues) and in trying to keep it all together in my family when my youngest step-daughter had an acute psychotic breakdown - my GP was brilliant though and signed me off for a month, which gave me time to get myself on top of things and sort out a few areas which had caused me a lot of stress in the preceding few months. Knowing the signs helps a lot to avert the worst of it, but none of us are immune to the hellhound on our tails or the black-eyed dog at the door, with respective thanks to Robert Johnson and Nick Drake. So here's affirming something that an insightful manager once said to me that in retrospect helped a lot, "it may not feel like this at the moment, but you will feel better eventually."

Hats off to you Greg for your courage in talking about this on a public forum. Depression is one of those illnesses that can suddenly creep up on you and really take you by surprise. My own experience of it first time around (in 1994) came about as a result of finding myself in a situation that I was not equipped to manage - being in a new place (Cornwall), doing Child Protection work, being in a relationship which I was not prepared to admit being unhappy in and uncertainty surrounding my employment and what I could do if I jacked in the job I was struggling in. Like Osy said, a large part of it relates to loss issues - and mine related to stuff going way back in my family history as well as setting myself targets that I couldn't hope to achieve and beating myself up about it when I felt that I'd failed again. I'd previously worked in mental health as a psychiatric nurse and in a LA mental health centre, so I was aware of what was happening, but still felt powerless to do much about it until I got help through attending an anxiety management group and learnt about Seligman's theory of 'learned helplessness' and the cognitive behavioural approach of confronting 'ANTS,' ie. automatic negative thoughts. It took several months to find the happy me again and a change in my work situation but I came through it despite some grim scenarios where I thought about leaving the stage early.

I had a relapse about nine months ago but luckily not to the same degree and this occurred as a result of exhaustion involved with work problems (as I'd been doing a lot of overtime trying to resolve money issues) and in trying to keep it all together in my family when my youngest step-daughter had an acute psychotic breakdown - my GP was brilliant though and signed me off for a month, which gave me time to get myself on top of things and sort out a few areas which had caused me a lot of stress in the preceding few months. Knowing the signs helps a lot to avert the worst of it, but none of us are immune to the hellhound on our tails or the black-eyed dog at the door, with respective thanks to Robert Johnson and Nick Drake. So here's affirming something that an insightful manager once said to me that in retrospect helped a lot, "it may not feel like this at the moment, but you will feel better eventually."

Sorry to be pedantic but it's "Hellhound on my trail".http://xroads.virginia.edu/~music/blues/homt.html
I've no idea(fortunately), whether or not Nick Drake sings about a "black-eyed dog at the door", but if he does. he nicked the idea from Churchill's "black dog",which was of course WC's pet name for his own depressions.:winking:

Sorry to be pedantic but it's "Hellhound on my trail".http://xroads.virginia.edu/~music/blues/homt.html
I've no idea(fortunately), whether or not Nick Drake sings about a "black-eyed dog at the door", but if he does. he nicked the idea from Churchill's "black dog",which was of course WC's pet name for his own depressions.:winking:

Thanks - you seem to have a need to prove your knowledge of tangentially-related details rather than contributing to the subject of this thread. If you're unwilling to offer any insights about this subject, then you sure ain't part of the solution - if there is one, of course.

Well said Rob,how can two people from the same gene pool come across so vastly different.
Southend 4 ever where are you,you have been quiet on this thread and your work from home thread.

Thanks - you seem to have a need to prove your knowledge of tangentially-related details rather than contributing to the subject of this thread. If you're unwilling to offer any insights about this subject, then you sure ain't part of the solution - if there is one, of course.

Unfortunately, I have no insights whatsoever to offer about depression,since to the best of my knowledge,it's something I've never suffered from.I have found your contributions(and others on this thread)interesting to read though.
Blues(in particular) and music in general is,IMO,something I do know and care about,however.It's always been a form of catharsis for me.Unlike you, I don't believe in sharing my personal thoughts and emotions on public message boards.I prefer to discuss my feelings with my immediate family and friends.I thinks that's healthier(for me at least).

Unfortunately, I have no insights whatsoever to offer about depression,since to the best of my knowledge,it's something I've never suffered from.I have found your contributions(and others on this thread)interesting to read though.
Blues(in particular) and music in general is,IMO,something I do know and care about,however.It's always been a form of catharsis for me.Unlike you, I don't believe in sharing my personal thoughts and emotions on public message boards.I prefer to discuss my feelings with my immediate family and friends.I thinks that's healthier(for me at least).

Indeed - I think what Greg was looking for from this thread was contributions to the subject at hand because depression is still somewhat of a taboo, and that maybe talking about some of these issues on here could be of assistance to some who might suffer in silence. As someone who has experienced this, then I felt that I had a certain responsibility to offer my tuppenceworth to show that it isn't something that you have to conceal and that it is something that can be overcome either from within or with assistance. I don't really want to debate this with you further as I'm concerned that it will become a sideshow from the real issue of this thread.

Hi,

Trying to resolve the issue but Southend4ever has been banned from the message board and no one appears to be able to say why.

Regards,

Hi,

Trying to resolve the issue but Southend4ever has been banned from the message board and no one appears to be able to say why.

Regards,
Are you sure he didn't "ask to leave" and it was actioned several months later? :blush:

Hi,

Regards,

He is not banned at all, but then you should already know that Greg as you are the same person or at least using his email account.

Are you sure he didn't "ask to leave" and it was actioned several months later? :blush:

That is not up for discussion.

Back