• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

GMAIL SMTP Settings

Holy Joe

Manager⭐⭐
It seems google have changed something that means apps can no longer access your email account.

It's disrupting my cctv and ip cameras from sending me email alerts. I have a gmail account just for sending these alerts - and I type in the google smtp details into the app and it sends emails to my main email account - or at least it used until this change a week or so ago.

Anyone know of any workarounds or alternatives?? I tried setting up an outlook account but that seems to have the same issues.

Anyone else impacted? What are people using to send emails automatically??

Thanks for any help

It has caused issues for my company as well as in some cases we have had to use GMAIL accounts for scan-to-email setups.

There's a chance Outlook emails may work (smtp-mail.outlook.com, port 587, STARTTLS) but we haven't tested it yet - we may be doing so today so I will update you.

Let me know if you have found a work around.

It has caused issues for my company as well as in some cases we have had to use GMAIL accounts for scan-to-email setups.

There's a chance Outlook emails may work (smtp-mail.outlook.com, port 587, STARTTLS) but we haven't tested it yet - we may be doing so today so I will update you.

Let me know if you have found a work around.

I've tried outlook, I suffered the same problem.

Still looking for a solution so please keep me posted

Thanks

Just tried yahoo and sendinblue - but I can't get either to work - still stumped on this one!

Should note that I'm no expert at this, so just because I can't get something to work, doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone!

Last edited:
Just found this - looks promising, will give it a go later

After getting the same email about support for less secure apps, I did the following today:

1. Log into gmail
  2. Click the user icon in the top-right corner and select "Manage your Google Account"
  3. Go to the security page (from the list at the left)
  4. [This is necessary for the next step, but will stop your scripts from logging into smtp with your regular password. This is sort of the point of no return. Make sure you are ready to go all the way and update all of your email-sending scripts before continuing.] Enable two-step authentication.
  5. Once two-step authentication is enabled, go back to the security page. There should now be a new section called "App Passwords". Select it. You will probably be asked to log in again.
  6. Generate a new app password. I put in "Mail" under "select app" and "Other" under "select device," but I don't think any of the information you put it matters.
  7. It will give you a 16-character app password which will be shown in yellow.
  8. Have your scripts use this password to log into smtp instead of your regular password and everything should work. It will not prompt you for 2-step verification.
After doing this, my scripts seem to work. I did not have to make any other changes to the code other than substituting the app password for the original one. Hopefully it helps you too.

Just found this - looks promising, will give it a go later

After getting the same email about support for less secure apps, I did the following today:

1. Log into gmail
  2. Click the user icon in the top-right corner and select "Manage your Google Account"
  3. Go to the security page (from the list at the left)
  4. [This is necessary for the next step, but will stop your scripts from logging into smtp with your regular password. This is sort of the point of no return. Make sure you are ready to go all the way and update all of your email-sending scripts before continuing.] Enable two-step authentication.
  5. Once two-step authentication is enabled, go back to the security page. There should now be a new section called "App Passwords". Select it. You will probably be asked to log in again.
  6. Generate a new app password. I put in "Mail" under "select app" and "Other" under "select device," but I don't think any of the information you put it matters.
  7. It will give you a 16-character app password which will be shown in yellow.
  8. Have your scripts use this password to log into smtp instead of your regular password and everything should work. It will not prompt you for 2-step verification.
After doing this, my scripts seem to work. I did not have to make any other changes to the code other than substituting the app password for the original one. Hopefully it helps you too.

Can confirm this works!!

Back