• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which of our keepers should be number 1.

• Teddy Smith - Its his time

Votes: 81 76.4%
  • Mark Oxley - Things can only get better

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Bart

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never understood why we signed Oxley in the first place. Surely there were experienced pros of a similar quality available who could've come in, helped Ted to develop while filling the number 1 shirt for a season or two and letting Ted get some game time too, then moved on/retired. At 25, Oxley doesn't really have the experience to help Ted and he's not very good either. Based on performances so far this season, I'd stick with Ted, on another day yesterday's goal gets disallowed and he's kept a clean sheet against top of the league and everyone would be saying he's the new Dan Bentley if not better.

My thoughts exactly, Oxley does not bring anything to the table - there were better options during the summer, such as Brian Murphy, (now 3rd choice keeper at Cardiff), or even Richard Wright (now recently retired) both would have been more competent than Oxley and both could have filled the 'mentor / temp. No.1' position, which we need - anyway too late now...

I'd stick with Ted, it'll be a harsh learning curve (next 2 games will be a stern test especially), but the experience will prove positive in the long run.

It is the problem with the position. One error in a game and it is catastophe. "He ain't ready"; "not fit to pull on the gloves"; "doesn't come off his line"; "too short" etc....Whereas someone like Michael Timlin can misplace several passes in a game bu win a couple of tackles and teararse about the pitch and the majority of opinion is he has had a blinder.

I love the way some people are writing Oxley off already a month into the season!!

I understand he's not been great, but give the guy a chance; I doubt many keepers would feel confident with the shambles of our defending sometimes.

Wasn't he in George & Mildred?

He was :-)

funnily enough i was flicking trough the freeview channels the other week and there was an old episode of G&M, with him and Yootha Joyce. He was down the pub and she was at home doing the housework - how times have changed...

:smile: ... The Fourmiles living next door were excellent straight men/women!

:smile: ... The Fourmiles living next door were excellent straight men/women!

thats right, they had a genius son called Tristian or something.

Digressing a little bit here, we'll have the mods after us :-)

so? Ted or The Ox ?

Yep, Tristran.

Checked his IMDB, but he never went onto acting beyond about 19 years old.

Yep, Tristran.

Checked his IMDB, but he never went onto acting beyond about 19 years old.

blimey, Nicolas Bond-Owen ! He's the same age as me, God that make me feel old...

Brian Murphy going strong at 83 - wonder what he's doing Saturday afternoon? Would probably stop as many as Oxley !?

I thought that. These child actors in the 70's are grandparents now!

Brian Murphy might struggle nowadays, especially the way Yootha Joyce always wanted to get him in the bedroom. He must be worn out! :smile:

I thought that Ted Smith probably was at fault for the Bolton equaliser, I even thought that it was an own goal but nobody else did so I have to accept that I was wrong there. Specsavers are to blame of course. He also made at least two more poor decisions, but we have to balance this against the saves he made. For me his performance was okay, certainly not hapless. I haven’t seen Oxley play but I think it will be worth letting Smith have a run of games. I’m sure that our collection of goalkeeping coaches will work with him to help to improve decision making. The thing I liked about his performance is that he didn’t seem to let the mistakes and goal upset him to the extent that he went to pieces.

I haven’t seen such a one sided game for some time. There were rarely moments when our defence was not under pressure. My view is that we were saved from a real hammering by wayward Bolton finishing, desperate defending, Ted Smith and a fair bit of luck. The luck was earned because everyone played their part in a dogged, backs to the wall type of game.

Digressing slightly, I was worried when I saw that we would be starting with Smith and Kypianou. I could understand the clamour for them to be included, but thought that this would be too tough a game for them. However, they both played well enough and demonstrated that I know nothing.

Digressing even further, the day before the Bolton game, I offered God a deal. If we could be allowed to get a minimum of 4 points from the games against Bolton, Scunthorpe and Millwall, I would undertake not to drink alcohol from Saturday evening until the middle of December. I thought that was an attractive enough deal to tempt him to go for it. God doesn’t always go along with my proposed deals, I suspect that he,she or it is often too busy or doesn’t take the offer seriously, but 1 point was a good start I thought.

Its quite simple if we had a 20 year old keeper who could step into L1 at places like Bolton and never make a mistake he would be at Man City and not playing for us.

So for those of you who always want to sign a non league player or like to see youth given a chance. Why don't we do just that give him a chance and accept that like any of you if you had been given areal tough job at that age......You will make mistakes but that is part of the learning curve.

Who is arguing otherwise?

If I, or someone else, points out that he made a mistake or isn't yet as good as Bentley that's not calling for him to be dropped.

He's going to make mistakes (and he did make mistakes Saturday), but unlike King we've got him under contract so we can benefit long term from the lessons he learns whilst on the steepest part of the learning curve.

Keep Ted in!!!
Yeah he made mistakes but he has to learn. Once the confidence comes he will flourish.

Voted Ted

I believe he is, on a whole, the better and more dependable keeper. Also Ted need match time and experience to improve his game, granted he will make the odd error, as will Oxley - but his potential means he should remain as no.1 choice.

The other reason to stick with Ted is that he needs to become conditioned to League I and hard nut centre forwards. So game time will also toughen him up.. and up until now he has only played at youth and u20 levels, he should already be technically there due to his England turnouts

So, to conclude... VOTE TED !

Voted Ted

I believe he is, on a whole, the better and more dependable keeper. Also Ted need match time and experience to improve his game, granted he will make the odd error, as will Oxley - but his potential means he should remain as no.1 choice.

The other reason to stick with Ted is that he needs to become conditioned to League I guess the main concern with Ted , is that he has only played at youth and u20 levels, during his England turnouts were streets ahead in terms of technical ability and I would

The abrupt ending here could be for numerous reasons, the door bell, the toilet, meal time, alzheimers, who can say. Watch this space I guess.

A goalkeeper should always be able to stop shots. Smith made 2 excellent saves on Saturday, 2 more than I have seen Oxley save (albeit I've only seen the one game!)

He may be nervous at times and flap but he will improve with game time, I'm not sure Oxley will..

Back