• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Goalkeeper Mark Brown is up for switch to Southend United

My mate is a student of the Scottish game, and says Brown is average at best. And that's from someone brought up on Scottish goalkeepers.

Yeah, average in the SPL. We're League 2. That seems a good deal to me...

Time is ticking. Think I saw him live when I went to Hibs a few years ago and dont recall him being terrible. Hibs won 4-1 so he cant have been that bad.

Looked very sure of himself sataday twice he wasnt beaten when 1on 1 and pulled off a couple of good saves .My only fear was he seemed to like hugging the goal line on crosses .But that may have been because he didnt know to many names of the players around him .

Looked very sure of himself sataday twice he wasnt beaten when 1on 1 and pulled off a couple of good saves .My only fear was he seemed to like hugging the goal line on crosses .But that may have been because he didnt know to many names of the players around him .

Oh no! Not Sataday again :omg:

My mate at work is a Hibs fan, I text him and asked what he's like. I quote him verbatim "utter, utter dogshite"

My mate at work is a Hibs fan, I text him and asked what he's like. I quote him verbatim "utter, utter dogshite"

Oh Dear!!!
The goalkeeper position is the only one that Paul Sturrock seems to be doing a bad job over. Second rate keepers are being looked at or spoken to. And a perfectly good one for League Two, Belford , was let go.

Oh Dear!!!
The goalkeeper position is the only one that Paul Sturrock seems to be doing a bad job over. Second rate keepers are being looked at or spoken to. And a perfectly good one for League Two, Belford , was let go.
Not sure Belford was actually as good as people think. We were discussing it at Braintree on Saturday and felt that he made some good saves but also was a bit flat footed at times, especially Crewe second goal during the playoffs. Think the prob is that everyone remembers the pen save against Crawley and lives off that. I think Belford is a decent keeper and that's it.

The thing is with keepers is that it's hard to get one at this level that is a good communicator, good shot stopper and confident. If they were all the above, they would be playing higher level at the end of the day. IMO, Morris was an excellent shot stopper for this level but struggled when it came to communicating and also looked like he was shot of confidence at one point. Daniels looked like he had most of the above, hence why he's playing a higher level. Belford for me was an excellent communicator and was full of confidence (although I feel that he also was a confidence player) but his shot stopping for me was sometimes suspect. For me, at this level, being a better communicator is the better option. When Belford was here, we had a great defensive record and a lot of that was down to Belford and his communication with the back four. For me, an experienced goalie is what we need to mount a good promotion push.

Never sure that asking fans of a club a that a player has left is the best thing really. Often they are bitter. Other hibs fans seemed to like the guy. What we have said about the likes of hopper, Harold, revell etc all have done well since leaving here etc

No hurry here. Either we get the right man, or we wait. Worst case scenario, Sturrock can make a phone call to West Brom the day before the season. And if it's not West Brom, some other prem side will have a kid we can borrow.

Not sure Belford was actually as good as people think. We were discussing it at Braintree on Saturday and felt that he made some good saves but also was a bit flat footed at times, especially Crewe second goal during the playoffs. Think the prob is that everyone remembers the pen save against Crawley and lives off that. I think Belford is a decent keeper and that's it.

totally agree. Belford was more than competent but I don't think he was amazing. Part of me was glad we didn't sign him as I felt we could do better. He was a shambles in the home game vs Crewe and we can't afford a repeat of that.

Back