• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Going Online In Starbucks

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
I realise that Starbucks has a masterplan, I really do. I know that somewhere, in a dormant volcano on a Pacific island, their mysterious overlord sits on a throne of kitten skulls plotting to ensnare all of humanity in a cosy middle-class fantasy, pouring bean juice down their necks to keep them occupied while all the time growing more and more powerful, buying more plantations and opening more stores until there isn't a patch of land on the planet that they don't own. I'm down with that. It's free market capitalism, no-one's forcing us to go there, so all power to their coffee grinder. What I don't understand is why they have to charge me for using the internet while I'm there....

Continues below

http://beforeturningthegunonhimself.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/going-online-in-starbucks/

Apart from the fact that out of all the major coffee chains, Starbucks probably invest more $'s per cup than any other...

I've read No Logo and all that associated stuff, but as far as I'm concerned if I want a decent cup of coffee I'm now able to get one without a major hassle, whether it be from a chain like Starbucks or Costa or even the little independent guy down the road who has had to up his game to compete...

If I want a decent cup of coffee I double up on the Mellow Birds and don't hold back with the Coffee Mate rather than spend £3 to sit in a gaff that's full of ****s and doesn't have any fruit machines.

Last edited:
For me when in Southend, it is all about Utopia, a brilliant independent coffee shop, who seem to really care about the customer. I have been going since my eldest was born as they were always accomodating for whatever reasonable request. Even now they will do 2 small hot chocolates for the little un's with all the trimmings at half the cost of normal size one.

Seems a shame the way Starbucks have gone since those early days in Seattle, and the beliefs the founding fathers had for their company. I guess shows how wealth can corrupt.

Also Slipper is all this pent up frustration you seem to be venting, a result of your change of relationship status? Or have you managed to hide this inner angry man from us all this time??

Last edited:
For me when in Southend, it is all about Utopia, a brilliant independent coffee shop, who seem to really care about the customer.

That may be so but I bet they don't sell discount fireworks, sportwear or Christmas decorations.

It's time the future of Southend was dictated by the people, not a bunch of middle class councillors who want to turn the high street into some Italian piazza.

Last edited:
If I want a decent cup of coffee I double up on the Mellow Birds and don't hold back with the Coffee Mate rather than spend £3 to sit in a gaff that's full of ****s and doesn't have any fruit machines.

It's only February, but this is an early candidate for post of the year.

Back