• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Golf Query

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Right, handicaps. I know how they work, in that you have a number which you take off your final score to allow balanced play. I'm down with that.

Is there anythig else to it? I keep reading things about takig strokes off particular holes according to their ranking, but that all sounds very complicated. I thought if you had a handicapp of 10, you generally went round in 82?

Kind of, if you look at a scorecard next to each hole will have a stroke index from 1 to 18, 1 being the hardest through to 18 the easiest.

So if you had a handicap of 18 you would get one stroke deducted per hole, but if you had a handicap of say 10 then you would only get a stroke at holes 1 - 10 on the stroke index as opposed to the hole number.

Kind of, if you look at a scorecard next to each hole will have a stroke index from 1 to 18, 1 being the hardest through to 18 the easiest.

So if you had a handicap of 18 you would get one stroke deducted per hole, but if you had a handicap of say 10 then you would only get a stroke at holes 1 - 10 on the stroke index as opposed to the hole number.

Now, why is that you can spend one paragraph concisely explaining that in manner in which I can comprehend it, and every other website I've been to has blown my head off? Thanks so much, I really appreicate that.

If you're playing for a total score around the course then where the strokes are given doesn't matter, it's a simple take away handicap to get balanced, comparable, score.

If you're playing to win each hole in turn (the Stapleford scoring system - used, amongst others, in the 4 balls and 4somes in the Ryder cup) then it matters where the strokes are given, hence the holes are rated according to difficulty.

Right, handicaps. I know how they work, in that you have a number which you take off your final score to allow balanced play. I'm down with that.

Is there anythig else to it? I keep reading things about takig strokes off particular holes according to their ranking, but that all sounds very complicated. I thought if you had a handicapp of 10, you generally went round in 82?

It may also be worth noting the maximum handicap allowed for men is usually 28 but for woman some clubs will allow 36

With a handicap of 28 you get two strokes on holes with an SI of 1-10 and one on the others.

There is also a scoring system of 1 point for a net par, 2 for a birdie and 3 for an eagle (I can't remebmer its name) That system also takes handicaps into account

Might wanna fix your n key before you write anything up! ;)

With a handicap of 28 you get two strokes on holes with an SI of 1-10 and one on the others.

There is also a scoring system of 1 point for a net par, 2 for a birdie and 3 for an eagle (I can't remebmer its name) That system also takes handicaps into account

You're thinking the Stapleford system. You're out by one shot for the points - 1 for bogey, 2 for par, 3 for birdie etc

Back