• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good free VPN required.....

BALDY

Striker
Hi all,
Does anybody on here use a good free VPN that they could recommend.

Express VPN is pretty good. Limited locations in the free version though.

Mr. Gormless here; what is a VPN?
VPN
[VPN]

NOUN
computing
  1. an arrangement whereby a secure, apparently private network is achieved using encryption over a public network, typically the internet.

Ah right, dark web?
You'd probably want a VPN if you were using the dark web because odds are you're doing something illegal that you wouldn't want anyone to know about but a VPN itself isn't the dark web, it's just a way of hiding your browsing activity (which could be for legitimate privacy concerns).

Basically whenever you look at something online what’s actually happening is you’re saying “I want to look at this webpage” to your internet provider (ISP), which means they know exactly what webpages you’ve been looking at. A VPN is basically a middle man, instead of telling your ISP “I want to look at this webpage” you instead say “please pass this message to my VPN”, the message is encrypted so that the ISP can’t read the message. Once the VPN gets the message they decrypt it to say “please open this webpage”, they then open the webpage and send the contents of it back to you via your ISP (again encrypted so that your ISP doesn’t know what it is). The reason this keeps you private is because the VPN has thousands of clients, if someone did go to the VPN and ask what Bob was looking at they can genuinely answer with “I can show you everything our thousands of clients looked at but we don’t know which requests were from Bob”, which means Bob’s browsing activity is basically kept secret.

The other reason it’s useful is it lets you pretend you’re from another country. For example some webpages (especially videos) might only be accessible if you’re in America. To get around this you could find a VPN based in America, since the VPN is the one actually opening the webpage they’ll open the American version of the website rather than the British one, which they can then send back to you.

(There's other reasons you might want one as well, e.g. the data the VPN sends you back doesn't necessarily have to be the contents of a website, it could just be something on the VPN's local computer. If you work from home odds are your company is using a VPN so that files on the company's network can be sent to your home computer securely.)

You'd probably want a VPN if you were using the dark web because odds are you're doing something illegal that you wouldn't want anyone to know about but a VPN itself isn't the dark web, it's just a way of hiding your browsing activity (which could be for legitimate privacy concerns).

Basically whenever you look at something online what’s actually happening is you’re saying “I want to look at this webpage” to your internet provider (ISP), which means they know exactly what webpages you’ve been looking at. A VPN is basically a middle man, instead of telling your ISP “I want to look at this webpage” you instead say “please pass this message to my VPN”, the message is encrypted so that the ISP can’t read the message. Once the VPN gets the message they decrypt it to say “please open this webpage”, they then open the webpage and send the contents of it back to you via your ISP (again encrypted so that your ISP doesn’t know what it is). The reason this keeps you private is because the VPN has thousands of clients, if someone did go to the VPN and ask what Bob was looking at they can genuinely answer with “I can show you everything our thousands of clients looked at but we don’t know which requests were from Bob”, which means Bob’s browsing activity is basically kept secret.

The other reason it’s useful is it lets you pretend you’re from another country. For example some webpages (especially videos) might only be accessible if you’re in America. To get around this you could find a VPN based in America, since the VPN is the one actually opening the webpage they’ll open the American version of the website rather than the British one, which they can then send back to you.
OK thanks for that - needs a slow read for me!

I found a VPN almost essential during the Covid Pandemic when it came to watching the Blues away from home. With a VPN I was able to be an overseas viewer with a reduced rate of payment for each away game as you can choose (normally) where you appear to be accessing the web from.

Quite a few apps and browsers now come with free or optional VPNs.

You'd probably want a VPN if you were using the dark web

I found a VPN almost essential during the Covid Pandemic when it came to watching the Blues away from home. With a VPN I was able to be an overseas viewer with a reduced rate of payment for each away game as you can choose (normally) where you appear to be accessing the web from.

Quite a few apps and browsers now come with free or optional VPNs.
I too watch football online using a VPN.........I have no idea about the Dark Web as has been suggested elsewhere.

I always use a VPN on the internet, it is much more secure as all data uploaded and downloaded is encrypted and hidden from my IP and search engines like Google etc.

The only time I disable my VPN is if a particular website stops you using a VPN to view videos like Southend OS and iPlayer.

I always use a VPN on the internet, it is much more secure as all data uploaded and downloaded is encrypted and hidden from my IP and search engines like Google etc.

The only time I disable my VPN is if a particular website stops you using a VPN to view videos like Southend OS and iPlayer.
What about the other 'special' sites you don't like to mention @The Big Dady?:Winking:

Back