• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

pickledseal

cowboy
As I've mentioned on here before, I'm a teacher...

I'm just preparing lessons ready for next week and have just been doing my lesson for Y7s on Easter and how Christians celebrate the festival.

It hadn't really clicked up until now that *most* Chrisitan Good Friday services commence at around 3pm - particually nearly all Catholic ones.

Now for the religious amoungst us, it could be a tough call bewtween a Good Friday service and a visit to the Hall.

I'm sure there is probablly little debate on here as to which would win, and after all we do live in an increasingly secular society...

However, the fact remains that we live in a Christian country (The Head of the Anglican Church being the Queen pretty much seals that deal) and that Easter is the most important Christian Festival in the year (yes, even more so than Christmas!)

I just wonder who chose this KO time/date and has it always been the case to play at 3pm on a Good Friday or is it tradionally an evening thing? Or is it a Sky thing... spead the games out more to show more on TV?

Any other thoughts?

BTW I know exactly where I'll be at 3pm Good Friday ;)
I just hope my class don't quiz me too much on it!

great, it's a bank holiday, pubs open at 11 and shut at 11, with a minor distraction of football at 3
tounge.gif

We used to play at 11am, when I first started watching in the 80s. In fact I think most of our Bank Holiday Kick offs were at 11am maybe to give the police time to deal with the afternoon hoardes at the seafront.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ April 13 2006,19:59)]We used to play at 11am, when I first started watching in the 80s. In fact I think most of our Bank Holiday Kick offs were at 11am maybe to give the police time to deal with the afternoon hoardes at the seafront.
Yes, I remember a very niggly game versus Bournemouth in 1981, that started at 11am. And I believe a certain Dave Webb was Bournemouth's manager at the time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pickledseal @ April 13 2006,19:34)]Now for the religious amoungst us, it could be a tough call bewtween a Good Friday service and a visit to the Hall.
For those of us that worship all things Shrimp like, I'd say a 3pm Good Friday service at the mecca of world football couldn't be better timed  
biggrin.gif

I think it's quite right that the ninety nine point something percent of the population that do not attend Good Friday church services are not constrained by the small minority that do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pickledseal @ April 13 2006,19:34)]As I've mentioned on here before, I'm a teacher...

I'm just preparing lessons ready for next week and have just been doing my lesson for Y7s on Easter and how Christians celebrate the festival.

It hadn't really clicked up until now that *most* Chrisitan Good Friday services commence at around 3pm - particually nearly all Catholic ones.

Now for the religious amoungst us, it could be a tough call bewtween a Good Friday service and a visit to the Hall.

I'm sure there is probablly little debate on here as to which would win, and after all we do live in an increasingly secular society...

However, the fact remains that we live in a Christian country (The Head of the Anglican Church being the Queen pretty much seals that deal) and that Easter is the most important Christian Festival in the year (yes, even more so than Christmas!)

I just wonder who chose this KO time/date and has it always been the case to play at 3pm on a Good Friday or is it tradionally an evening thing? Or is it a Sky thing... spead the games out more to show more on TV?

Any other thoughts?

BTW I know exactly where I'll be at 3pm Good Friday ;)
I just hope my class don't quiz me too much on it!
I dont think there is any place in football for catholics

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ April 13 2006,19:35)]great, it's a bank holiday, pubs open at 11 and shut at 11, with a minor distraction of football at 3
tounge.gif
Yep a good time for a game-will have a bit of a Sunday feel about it but 3 points later & the pubs allowed to open earlier-happy days
smile.gif

i'll be ok as i'm not religious, and i'll be in a sacred place, as ROOTS HALL is my church.
biggrin.gif

I'm a part-time lay leader of a Church near Chelmsford. My day consists of a joint ecumenical service in Chelmsford Town Centre this morning. Off to Roots Hall in the afternoon and then hot-footing it to lead Good Friday meditations at my own place at 6.30!

I'm not sure older members of my flock would appreciate me going to the game on Good Friday, but they need to appreciate that I have a 2nd religion too!

I believe it is in Matthew where it says, 'where two or more are met in my name, there I shall be amongst them.' Well if Pickledseal were to bring a friend we would have JC in the crowd. Not many clubs could boast that! I wonder if the exalted one would acclaim Tilly as his dad?.
smile.gif

Kick off at 15:00 is a good time.....would've been better if it was 19:45 though as i could have gone to work and sat at a computer all day reading all this instead of being forced to sit at home
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think the attendance of 11000+ speaks for itself
Should make it interesting trying to get in the car park then

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ April 14 2006,00:33)]I dont think there is any place in football for catholics
Just a foolish and completely ill-informed comment.  I presume its your "I'm British, Rangers and Anti-everything green" within you making such stupid comments.  If you'd been brought up in N. Ireland and then had an opinion then people could be interested in your comments.  But supporting your country and government shouldn't mean that you hate all Catholics.  Foolish.  
mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

I went to church this morning for the 11am service, I think that the two can be combined.

I'm not Catholic nor Irish, but COE.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lucas D @ April 14 2006,12:33)]I think the attendance of 11000+ speaks for itself.......
yep ^^ biggest attendence in ages, great time for football, southend is my religion.

Back