• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
The following is a report of a Cup game against Blackpool in 1921, Blackpool were top of the Second Division, we were were in our first season in the league and struggking:

The Blackpool team travelled down from Lancashire on Friday, but arrived in Southend for lunch Saturday, accompanied by their Directors and quite a sprinkling of supporters. The stream of spectators in the Kursaal ground began an hour and half before the match and continued in increasing volume until the time of the kick off. Excitement was at fever heat and though the band played the majority of the crowd seemed oblivious of its presence. Club favours were freely worn, rattles much in evidence but thank goodness no one brought one of those clanging bells.

A spontaneous yell of joy when Dorsett found the net, people walking in Hamstel Avenue and other outskirts were startled by a mighty roar, I am told it’s sound was even heard in Rochford. The scene of enthusiasm was wonderful to behold and never before have I seen anything like it in Southend. Hats went in the air, handkerchiefs waived, rattles buzzed and all cheered themselves hoarse, apart from the Blackpool people who did not share in the pleasure of the moment. For a few moments pandemonium prevailed and so this enthusiasm continued until the final whistle

From the Southend Standard 8th February 1921

Nice tribute to the early shrimper fans.

So Blue Voice when you having a flat cap and waiving handkerchief day?

DoDtS

Last edited:
Or brandishing one of these.

Ebay.h4.jpg

I am a little concerned that it might be rather lacking in any female presence which wouldn't go down well with those of us regulars, but I suppose we could dress up as blokes for the day!

The following is a report of a Cup game against Blackpool in 1921, Blackpool were top of the Second Division, we were were in our first season in the league and struggking:

The Blackpool team travelled down from Lancashire on Friday, but arrived in Southend for lunch Saturday, accompanied by their Directors and quite a sprinkling of supporters. The stream of spectators in the Kursaal ground began an hour and half before the match and continued in increasing volume until the time of the kick off. Excitement was at fever heat and though the band played the majority of the crowd seemed oblivious of its presence. Club favours were freely worn, rattles much in evidence but thank goodness no one brought one of those clanging bells.

A spontaneous yell of joy when Dorsett found the net, people walking in Hamstel Avenue and other outskirts were startled by a mighty roar, I am told it’s sound was even heard in Rochford. The scene of enthusiasm was wonderful to behold and never before have I seen anything like it in Southend. ]Hats went in the air, handkerchiefs waived, rattles buzzed and all cheered themselves hoarse, apart from the Blackpool people who did snot hare in the pleasure of the moment. For a few moments pandemonium prevailed and so this enthusiasm continued until the final whistle

DoDtS

Hmmm. Typo surely. Even back in the 1920s the local paper was unedited tosh!

I am a little concerned that it might be rather lacking in any female presence which wouldn't go down well with those of us regulars, but I suppose we could dress up as blokes for the day!

I guess its just not quite the same now you cant smoke your pipe at a game....;)

A spontaneous yell of joy when Dorsett found the net, people walking in Hamstel Avenue and other outskirts were startled by a mighty roar, I am told it’s sound was even heard in Rochford. The scene of enthusiasm was wonderful to behold and never before have I seen anything like it in Southend. Hats went in the air, handkerchiefs waived, rattles buzzed and all cheered themselves hoarse, apart from the Blackpool people who did not share in the pleasure of the moment. For a few moments pandemonium prevailed and so this enthusiasm continued until the final whistle

DoDtS

Blimey DoDts, i know you live in the sticks but still! if that paper has only just been delivered to you i'd change your newsagent if i were you!

Back