• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good Luck From Swindon Town Fan!

STFC_Gazza

Schoolboy
AS MOST people know Swindon Town have lurched from crisis to crisis over the 1990's 2000's. We basically paid stupid wages to players when we were in the Premier League during the 1993-94 season (yes if you blinked you missed it, check the record books we have the record for most goals conceeded in a premier league season) and then suffered 2 successive relegations so we were in Division 2 (L1 paying Premier League wages)

We were 24 hours from having the council lock the gates of our stadium and us going bust in 2001 and went into administration, we came out and went back into administration in 2002 to sort it "once and for all".

2 seasons ago on 23 December 2007 we were 24 hours from going bust after the club was 6 months late paying at CVA that should have been paid in July 2007 (as part of leaving administration in 2002) HMRC said thats it. Instead of paying the CVA we spent money paying Dennis Wise etc, changing our badge, getitng new sponsors and buying players including Billy Paynter from Southend.

Anyway we now have 2 of the richest owners in the football league and are financially secure although most still see Swindon Town as that skint club from Wiltshire.

I have been through 10 years of stupid owners, crap management, broken promises that the treasure chest or big investor is around the corner, lets all stick together to get investment, we have a plan B, we will build a new stadium that will clear our debts for good, etc.

Stick together the fans are the club We know that more than most clubs. Good Luck you will get past this. The good times will come back trust me. Its rubbish now but it will get better. Speak to other clubs who have gone through the same, supporters direct are a good group to speak to!

Thank you so much. Your kind words are very much appreciated in these troubled times.

It's good to see that other clubs have been there and come out the other side but with such a threadbare squad and a chairman who seems intent on ducking the issue and blaming everyone but himself for our current predicament (albeit he couldn't have stopped the credit crunch!), it's difficult to keep the faith. I just hope you're right!

AS MOST people know Swindon Town have lurched from crisis to crisis over the 1990's 2000's. We basically paid stupid wages to players when we were in the Premier League during the 1993-94 season (yes if you blinked you missed it, check the record books we have the record for most goals conceeded in a premier league season) and then suffered 2 successive relegations so we were in Division 2 (L1 paying Premier League wages)

We were 24 hours from having the council lock the gates of our stadium and us going bust in 2001 and went into administration, we came out and went back into administration in 2002 to sort it "once and for all".

2 seasons ago on 23 December 2007 we were 24 hours from going bust after the club was 6 months late paying at CVA that should have been paid in July 2007 (as part of leaving administration in 2002) HMRC said thats it. Instead of paying the CVA we spent money paying Dennis Wise etc, changing our badge, getitng new sponsors and buying players including Billy Paynter from Southend.

Anyway we now have 2 of the richest owners in the football league and are financially secure although most still see Swindon Town as that skint club from Wiltshire.

I have been through 10 years of stupid owners, crap management, broken promises that the treasure chest or big investor is around the corner, lets all stick together to get investment, we have a plan B, we will build a new stadium that will clear our debts for good, etc.

Stick together the fans are the club We know that more than most clubs. Good Luck you will get past this. The good times will come back trust me. Its rubbish now but it will get better. Speak to other clubs who have gone through the same, supporters direct are a good group to speak to!

Thanks mate much appreciated.What all this proves is that fans of clubs like ours are true supporters, the premier league is just a fantasy league.

thanks, the swindon supporters i've spoken to are delighted about the impending 10 point deduction...

Thanks for all the support. Fancy a short trip to the game on friday ;) ?

thanks, the swindon supporters i've spoken to are delighted about the impending 10 point deduction...

However true this is, there is a difference between delighted about a 10 point deduction and a team going bust. For example I'm sure you would love to See Colchester start the season -15 but still be around!? Most Southend fans would not want Col U to go bust, but just struggle along.

Most STFC fans would not want to see Southend go bust. I know for a fact most our fans look forward to our journey down there for the beers and laughs on the train down!

However true this is, there is a difference between delighted about a 10 point deduction and a team going bust. For example I'm sure you would love to See Colchester start the season -15 but still be around!? Most Southend fans would not want Col U to go bust, but just struggle along.

Most STFC fans would not want to see Southend go bust. I know for a fact most our fans look forward to our journey down there for the beers and laughs on the train down!

Am i right in thinking you reserve your biggest rivalry for Oxford ??

Assuming i'm correct then much as i'm sure you laughed at them for dropping into the conference (much as we did when Col Ewe went down) i bet you miss the days when you can go there and take the **** properly.. (much as we did in the L1 Champions season, going there to win 3-0)

Cue Gazza coming back saying they hate reading most and haven't beaten them in 30 years or something :doh:

Am i right in thinking you reserve your biggest rivalry for Oxford ??

Assuming i'm correct then much as i'm sure you laughed at them for dropping into the conference (much as we did when Col Ewe went down) i bet you miss the days when you can go there and take the **** properly.. (much as we did in the L1 Champions season, going there to win 3-0)

Cue Gazza coming back saying they hate reading most and haven't beaten them in 30 years or something :doh:

Our biggest Rivals are Oxford although they are playing in the screwfix 10th division south west or something these days???

Your correct though and all joking aside, When Poxford were relegated to the conference, we became the first former Premier League side to slip into the fourth tier of english football (League 2) the same season which was a shame. last time we played the Pox was in the FA Cup at their place and lost 1-0 on telly, they drew Arsenal next round, Gutted.

Oxford have/had (not sure if resolved) massive cash flow problems due to setanta monies being lost their existance was at risk. I actually miss our rivalry and most of our fans would rather see them drip fed and let them trod along than go bust!

Thankfully (god never thought I'd say that) Oxford look to be on the up now so perhaps they will get promoted this season, and next as conference teams seem to do well or former FL teams seem to get that double promotion (Hereford, Exeter etc) and we have a proper local derby again. ASSUMING we dont go up (or down)

ON The subject of Reading they are our historical rivals and if Brendan Rogers keeps up the good work we may have them next season! Lately our rivals have been Gillingham (long story back in the 80s) and Bristol Rovers.

Thanks for the detailed response Gazza, i recall the Gills thing going back to the play offs one season (first year maybe ??) and how that lasts to this day with odd kick off times etc ... and notice how your crowds pick up for Rovers though wasn't sure if that was down to a historical rivalry or just cos a few extra Bristolians escape for the day

Back