• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

toellandback

Andy Cap
I am writing just to send my thoughts to you the fans. No matter who wears the shirt, who owns the club or who manages it. The people that feel the ups and downs are us, the mugs who follow the clubs we love blindly. I am sure you will be fine, it won't be comfortable and there will be alot of work missed due to spending all day on the internet but i am convinced that you will be ok.

I am writing torn by mixed emotions. First of all i am a football fan and as such have no wish to see any club go under. That said i can't help but watch the struggles facing some clubs and feel that what goes around comes around. There has been alot of talk about what the football league will do or should do to help clubs. Well very recently the football league asked all its 72 clubs to vote on a points deduction given to one of its clubs. This point deduction was unfair and has since affected several other clubs. It was at this point that the clubs of the lower leagues, the "football family" could have made a stand against the lack of support from the football league. They could have said that instead of deducting points and setting precedents that will cripple clubs they wanted finances at this level to be looked at. Six clubs did, the rest were overwhelmed by their own agendas and personal interests.

You all know who that club was, we forecast at the time that there would be many other struggles. That clubs were voting for something that might just come round and bite them on the backside. Lets not forget that there are people on here that suggested that Leeds should have been relegated just for going into administration. Sometimes its better to look beyond a club, or a crook with a white beard and look closer to home.

I will be buying a match ticket for friday and will help if help is needed, but i will be helping for personal reasons. Not because of a daft notion of a "football family". I hope you can understand my feelings behind the stuff above and still take my best wishes

Nicely put Gareth, and obviously heartfelt. Did we ever find which were the 6 clubs out of interest? I like to think that the footballing community pulls together at times like this, and I think whatever you say, that there were many who felt sympathy for the Leeds fans even if not necessarily for the club in general.

Does this mean you're actually coming on Friday or just buying a ticket out of sympathy?! ;)

I agree entirely and would like to thank you for your support, as we have all of the other well wishers :clap:

The Leeds affair ultimately left a sour taste in my mouth but never in my worst nightmares did I allow myself to believe that it would happen to us so soon after!

Nicely put Gareth, and obviously heartfelt. Did we ever find which were the 6 clubs out of interest? I like to think that the footballing community pulls together at times like this, and I think whatever you say, that there were many who felt sympathy for the Leeds fans even if not necessarily for the club in general.

Does this mean you're actually coming on Friday or just buying a ticket out of sympathy?! ;)

Sadly i am working till half 7, i will be there in spirit. I hope that read ok, i was thinking long and hard over how to word it. I, of course, wish you the best of luck but wish it doesn't take this happening to alot more clubs beore people react to it.

In the words of a great man, Don Revie "Keep Fighting" :)

So in essence you are saying you half feel sympathy for us and half feel a sense of glee in a 'what comes around goes around' way. Nice. Thanks for that.

So in essence you are saying you half feel sympathy for us and half feel a sense of glee in a 'what comes around goes around' way. Nice. Thanks for that.

In a way, and can you blame me for that? What i am saying is that for the best part i have very little sympathy for any football league club that is suffering due to financial mis-management, in the same way we received little. What does pain me is that its happening to Southend, a club i do care about.

My post was wrote with the same intention as those of the other fans, to wish good luck to a club that needs it. I hope with my whole heart that Southend come out the other side stronger.

Hi Gareth, i'm not a prolific poster but do read the board constantly throughout the day and have see enough of your posts to know you're a decent football fan who enjoys a bit of god natured banter, so I think we should accept your comments as reasonable & heartfelt, unlike some other complete t*at from your lot who was on here yesterday.

The point I wanted to make is that you have to understand Leeds are a different kettle of fish to the average lower league club. Your club is like a big imposter with a premiership pedigree taking all the interest away from the smaller fish in our little pond. Its not personal, its human nature. We all like to see the high & mighty fall. Believe me if it was Chelsea or Man U down here with us they'd get far more grief than you boys! You also have to realise a lot of the flack Leeds got at the time was because of Bates (and to a lesser extent Wise), who is universally disliked and who tried to buck the system to get Leeds an unfair advantage (which didn't work). Its him and his methods who have brought all the hate onto Leeds. Ok you'd still get grief simply because you're a huge club but you'd have got a lot more sympathy all round when you were really suffering if it had been someone else at the helm.

Anyway thanks for your support :clap:

Nice to see a Leeds fan posting a message of support. When York City were in trouble they held a Fans United Day, which I attended. I didn't see a single Leeds shirt or scarf that I saw that day, despite there being more Leeds fans in York than York fans. In fact I'm not even sure I saw anyone wearing premier$hite colours, yet there were fans from all around the country with countless football league clubs represented.

We've had messages of support from clubs like Southampton, Leeds, Telford, Swindon and even Orient and Col Ewe yet not one (that I've noticed) from a Premier$hite club. Not even one Wet Sham fan. At times like this you get to see who are the decent folk and who are the complete *****.

Cheers Gareth, much appreciated. If we go into administration we should get the 10 point deduction. It's not points that are important, it is our long term future.

Nice to see a Leeds fan posting a message of support. When York City were in trouble they held a Fans United Day, which I attended. I didn't see a single Leeds shirt or scarf that I saw that day, despite there being more Leeds fans in York than York fans. In fact I'm not even sure I saw anyone wearing premier$hite colours, yet there were fans from all around the country with countless football league clubs represented.

We've had messages of support from clubs like Southampton, Leeds, Telford, Swindon and even Orient and Col Ewe yet not one (that I've noticed) from a Premier$hite club. Not even one Wet Sham fan. At times like this you get to see who are the decent folk and who are the complete *****.

Cheers Gareth, much appreciated. If we go into administration we should get the 10 point deduction. It's not points that are important, it is our long term future.

There were a few i know of that went mate. You have to remember we play an annual friendly there every year and take a couple of thousand without fail. I remember giving money to Scarborough fans collecting at Elland Road on a couple of occasions but there being an un-easy stand off at first, no-one could make out the red shirts at first :D

What you have to remember is that getting to and then staying in the premiership is everything. There is no world outside of being one of the twenty clubs that rule the english game. Ask most fans of the top flight to name the 72 league clubs and you'd be surprised how few they can name.

By the way when i buy my ticket for friday would anybody like it for them or someone. Seems pointless it sitting empty

By the way when i buy my ticket for friday would anybody like it for them or someone. Seems pointless it sitting empty

That is great gesture Gareth and thanks very much, but your monies may be better spent (as you will not be attending the game) helping The Trust with their fund raising at the moment.

You can visit their site and pay by Paypal if your would like to.

www.shrimperstrust.co.uk

That is great gesture Gareth and thanks very much, but your monies may be better spent( as you will not be attending the game) helping The Trust with their fund raising at the moment.

You can visit their site and pay by Paypal if your would like to.

www.shrimperstrust.co.uk

No worries, its a mine field trying to read through all the threads. I'll do that instead :)

This point deduction was unfair and has since affected several other clubs. It was at this point that the clubs of the lower leagues, the "football family" could have made a stand against the lack of support from the football league.
Your original thoughts are kindly meant.

We'll take the 10 points deduction like we have to, it's in the rules & everyone knows that & has for years.

As for "poor" Leeds, as you well know you were sold your Golden Share future for 15 extra points, like Bournemouth, Rotherham & Luton last season for varying amounts. Technically you could have been refused entry into the league but you weren't. Whether Leeds deserved it or Bates deserved it is of no consequence, but you simply weren't in the position on the 11th hour of the 11th day to unequivocally committ to commencing the season. Perhaps you'd rather have not taken the extra penalty & started that season in the Unibond or whatever it is. No I thought not.

We won't expect any special treatment.

Nice one Gareth, and whilst i don't want to turn this into a Leeds thread i notice today that due to Setanta going belly up the FA have decided to pick a game to show online during FA Cup weekend .. now i know ITV are showing 2 matches and without knowing which ones i can't say if any of these are being featured, but i'd say an obvious pick would be ...

Gateshead v Brentford ? NO
AFC Telford vs Lincoln City ? NO
York City vs Crewe Alex ? NO
Nuneaton vs Exeter City ? NO
Paulton vs Norwich ? NO
Northwich vs Charlton ? NO

Oldham vs Leeds .. ie an all L1 clash that will be played out twice this season anyway ? YES

Each club will receive £67,500

Sorry but that is a shocking choice IMO

Nice one Gareth, and whilst i don't want to turn this into a Leeds thread i notice today that due to Setanta going belly up the FA have decided to pick a game to show online during FA Cup weekend .. now i know ITV are showing 2 matches and without knowing which ones i can't say if any of these are being featured, but i'd say an obvious pick would be ...

Gateshead v Brentford ? NO
AFC Telford vs Lincoln City ? NO
York City vs Crewe Alex ? NO
Nuneaton vs Exeter City ? NO
Paulton vs Norwich ? NO
Northwich vs Charlton ? NO

Oldham vs Leeds .. ie an all L1 clash that will be played out twice this season anyway ? YES

Each club will receive £67,500

Sorry but that is a shocking choice IMO

Tell me about, even though its my club i can't say i am desperate to watch it. I didn't know those figures. The thing is even before the draw we were going to be on the TV, i think we have been every year we have been in the first round draw.

theres something seriously wrong with that!!
the whole distribution of TV money and TV money in itself has damaged the game irreparably IMO. its like when you watch the football league show, you know its going to be Newcastle and charlton as the featured Champ L1 games respectively.
and as for the whole FA not distributing the wealth correctly through the whole football world, dont get me started, im sure if they had there way they'd have the premiership and tell the rest of us to F Off

and Toelland - ur support appreciated, as with the other fans coming on here.

Nice one Toellandback

ITV will show Paulton vs Norwich and Oldham vs Leeds. These are probably the matches that will pull in most viewers and ITV are not exactly making a packet at the moment themselves.

Your original thoughts are kindly meant.

We'll take the 10 points deduction like we have to, it's in the rules & everyone knows that & has for years.

As for "poor" Leeds, as you well know you were sold your Golden Share future for 15 extra points, like Bournemouth, Rotherham & Luton last season for varying amounts. Technically you could have been refused entry into the league but you weren't. Whether Leeds deserved it or Bates deserved it is of no consequence, but you simply weren't in the position on the 11th hour of the 11th day to unequivocally committ to commencing the season. Perhaps you'd rather have not taken the extra penalty & started that season in the Unibond or whatever it is. No I thought not.

We won't expect any special treatment.

As much as I hate agreeing with Hooly ;) he is exactly right.

I can see where your sentiments come from Gareth and I think you voiced them very well. However the rules regarding points deductions are there for a reason and even though it could be my club affected by it this time I think the League is right in having them in place.

The fans of Leeds didn't deserve it, but if football clubs are ever going to learn the lessons of spending more than they earn then this is all very neccesary.

Back